flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Beautiful Songs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 510, 511, 512  Next
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Borsuc

Borsuc
Loser wrote:
Here is another beautiful (but a little bit sad) song.
Sad songs are usually the most touching and beautiful IMO Smile

Post 11 Oct 2008, 15:21
MHajduk

MHajduk
I wish to present here a song of one of the best (in my opinion) new Polish rock groups - "Bracia" ("The Brothers"). Brothers Cugowski are sons of the Krzysztof Cugowski, leader of the "Budka Suflera" group, legendary Polish rock band (from early 70's to now).This song has a very interesting history. During the preparations of the record for foundation which realises the dreams of the incurably ill children brothers Cugowski flew to London. In the taxi from the airport they listened to the song "Flight of Angels" which was composed by... the taxi driver, former poet and composer, Vincent Gene-Olseen. Composer agreed to transfer his copyrights to the Polish band. Song with Polish text (which strongly differs from original) was recorded on the charitable single.

I've translated Polish lyrics of the "White Angel" to English (I hope that this translation is exact) to allow you to "catch" the sense of this song:
Quote:
"White Angel"

On the border of the world I want to hear you
Let the wind bring your voice, your fear
Heart hurt by the blade of silence
Still believes in love, looks for happiness

(Chorus)
On the white wings [I want to] escape from here
Angel knows where is my home
Smile will melt the glass in the heart
Stop crying

Like a dream comes back the thought
The past is a trap of usual days
I want to scream: "You don't have to live like that
You don't have to play - it's enough to be
Open your eyes, I am here
So close, need no words
I still believe in love, look for care"

(Chorus)
On the white wings [I want to] escape from here...

This day will change the time
Warm tear will move the stone
You'll never be alone, you have me
Those who lose sense in the confusion of life
Let believe in love, believe in happiness

(Chorus)
On the white wings [I want to] escape from here...
Post 11 Oct 2008, 17:50
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Loser

Loser
MHajduk, a romantic poet, wrote:
Bracia - Biały Anioł (White Angel)
Wow! It's sensational! The backing violin play (especially towards the end of the song) is simply awesome! I love it! Razz
Post 12 Oct 2008, 04:27
Loser

Loser
Here is another great song with an awesome backing violin play.

Coolio - Gangsta's Paradise ('Dangerous Minds' Soundtrack)
http://pl.youtube.com/watch?v=MMxenX5zSpc

Enjoy! Wink
Post 12 Oct 2008, 10:36
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
Loser: Which part added by coolio is great? All great parts are from original song, Coolio's part is the rubbish. I even like Al Yankovic's version more.
Post 12 Oct 2008, 11:47
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
HyperVista

HyperVista
You might be interested to learn that the melody hook in "Gangster's Paradise" is actually a variation of a song released in by Stevie Wonder in 1976. The song is "Pastime Paradise" and was included on his album, "Songs in the Key of Life".

My nomination for a beautiful song may have already been mentioned (there are way too many posts to sort through on this thread), but I really like Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings.
Post 12 Oct 2008, 19:09
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
tom tobias

tom tobias
HyperVista wrote:
...I really like Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings...
Thank you HyperVista, for this excellent recommendation (the whole string quartet, not just this second movement, is excellent). It was composed in the mid 1930's, a tumultuous era, which we are about to experience anew, I suspect. At the end of the 1930's, Barber wrote his masterpiece, well, this is just my opinion, probably someone else will prefer his Piano concerto, written in '45, but, for me, at least, the BEST composition of any composer of the USA, and one of the all time great compositions from any era, is Barber's Violin Concerto. It is, in my humble opinion, right up there, with all of the other fantastic compositions of this genre, for example, by Prokofiev, Korngold (from Brno!!!! yeah!), Sibelius, Brahms, Tchaikovsky, Beethoven, Mozart, Bach, Vivaldi, but, unlike those other composers, whose masterpieces are all FANTASTIC too, the concerto of Barber is SUPREMELY melancholy. Barber's Adagio, by comparison, is merely SLIGHTLY melancholy. Words, of course, do not suffice to describe how reflective, and how sad, this composition is. At the time of its completion, if I remember my history correctly, the gentleman who commissioned the work, pronounced it unplayable, and it was not immediately performed as a result. I may be in error on this point, but that is my recollection, having read some historical notes about it, a few years back. Barber's violin concerto, (and especially his Piano Concerto) is very dissonant, and accordingly, irritates some folks on first hearing, it may take two or three hearings before it becomes addictive. Once familiar however, you will be forever unable to return to the Adagio, with the same enthusiasm.....
Post 12 Oct 2008, 22:00
Loser

Loser
vid wrote:
Loser: Which part added by coolio is great? All great parts are from original song, Coolio's part is the rubbish. I even like Al Yankovic's version more.
Maybe it's just a personal taste, but I really like Coolio's rap / hip hop version. Having said that, I do admit that Al Yankovic's version is funny! Wink

HyperVista wrote:
You might be interested to learn that the melody hook in "Gangster's Paradise" is actually a variation of a song released in by Stevie Wonder in 1976. The song is "Pastime Paradise" and was included on his album, "Songs in the Key of Life".
Thanks for the reference. I didn't know.

HyperVista wrote:
My nomination for a beautiful song may have already been mentioned (there are way too many posts to sort through on this thread), but I really like Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings.
That piece of music is really touching. But I guess it appeals to adults only; most youngsters probably would not have enough life experience to taste it! Wink
Post 13 Oct 2008, 03:56
Picnic

Picnic
It's an old track i love by Black Sabbath called 'Planet Caravan' from Paranoid album back in 1970. Ozzy Osbourne vocals. The whole album is a masterpiece imho.

Black Sabbath - Planet Caravan

Much different, this is a relatively new track, plays often on musical channels and on radio, nice and fresh..

The Last Shadow Puppets - Standing Next to Me
Post 13 Oct 2008, 10:59
HyperVista

HyperVista
tom tobias wrote:
the BEST composition of any composer of the USA, and one of the all time great compositions from any era, is Barber's Violin Concerto

Thanks tom! I will definitely check it out. Thanks too for the historical perspective on Adagio. I had an interesting encounter with Adagio one evening. I was flying from Addis Ababa to Europe late one evening (it seems that most flights from Africa to Europe are of the "red eye" variety; leaving late in the evening/early morning and arriving in Europe near sunrise). I purchased a "classics compilation" CD at the Addis airport and it happened to contain Adagio. As we were approaching my destination I was listening to the CD, the sun was just coloring the sky a light orange/red and Adagio came on. It evoked a strong emotion in me that I didn't quite understand. It was some weeks later that I realized that Adagio was the piece of music played during one of the dramatic scenes in movie "Platoon" and I suppose that was stuck in my subconscience as I listened to that piece on that late night flight.
thimis wrote:
It's an old track i love by Black Sabbath called 'Planet Caravan' from Paranoid album back in 1970. Ozzy Osbourne vocals. The whole album is a masterpiece imho.

I totally agree!! Great suggestion thimis. This one takes me back to my wild youth! Great album!
Loser wrote:
That piece of music is really touching. But I guess it appeals to adults only; most youngsters probably would not have enough life experience to taste it!

Yes, of course you are right. So I offer Pink Floyd's, "I have Become Comfortably Numb". I've often thought I'd like this one played at my funeral ... the ultimate comfortably numbness! Very Happy

[edit]
thimis wrote:
The Last Shadow Puppets - Standing Next to Me

I just now gave this a listen ... wow! I'm going to order the CD now. Thanks for introducing me to these guys thimis!
[/edit]
Post 13 Oct 2008, 12:19
shoorick

shoorick
one of my favorite: ZZ Top Lovething
Post 13 Oct 2008, 13:17
Loser

Loser
HyperVista wrote:
I offer Pink Floyd's, "I have Become Comfortably Numb". I've often thought I'd like this one played at my funeral ...
Hey, man, you still have a LONG way to go! We, fasm forumers, are still waiting for the first UEFI HyperVisor! So, don't even think about retirement ... or funeral! Wink

Speaking of funerals, here is a perfect song choice:

為什麼 (Why) - 盧業媚 (Brenda Lo)
http://hk.youtube.com/watch?v=9tmoOJDa__s

It is a covered version of a Japanese song written by 五輪真弓 (Mayumi Itsuwa), a talented Japanese singer/songwriter. The lyrics of the Chinese version above are very meaningful and inspiring!

Here is a Japanese classic written by 五輪真弓.

五輪真弓 & クミコ - 恋人よ
http://hk.youtube.com/watch?v=v-2hUyM5v1k

Enjoy! Wink
Post 14 Oct 2008, 04:09
Loser

Loser
Post 14 Oct 2008, 08:35
MHajduk

MHajduk
Loser

I'm very glad that you liked the song "White Angel" of the Polish group "Bracia". Very Happy

From your today's set of songs I liked especially this
Loser wrote:

五輪真弓 & クミコ - 恋人よ
Interesting duet of the two strong, low female voices and spiritual strings in the background. Smile

Probably everybody here knows Chris Rea's "The Road To Hell", but I'm almost sure that very few know song "Heavenly Road" of Chinese singer, with Tibetan descent, Alan (Alan Dawa Zhuoma, Alan Dawa Dolma: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Dawa_Zhuoma), which says about the new railway to Tibet:Her improbably strong and clear voice could be compared with the voice of Sarah Brightman (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarah_Brightman), who can sing exactly everything from classical arias to pop and hip-hop. Here you can listen to her in the best and most touching (in my opinion) classical composition of the 20-th century: Concierto de Aranjuez composed in 1939 by Spanish composer Joaquin Rodrigo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concierto_de_Aranjuez):
Post 14 Oct 2008, 13:20
Borsuc

Borsuc
MHajduk wrote:
From your today's set of songs I liked especially this
Loser wrote:

五輪真弓 & クミコ - 恋人よ
Interesting duet of the two strong, low female voices and spiritual strings in the background. Smile
Where can I download that song? Smile please

(sorry I'm not very good at searching with Japanese characters Sad)

Metal Gear Solid 3 has some nice epic music:

Main Theme
Troops in Gathering (I trimmed it to the last touching part Smile)

Here's one from House of Flying Daggers:

Lovers (title song)

and one from Rambo 4:

Battle Adagio

Smile

Post 14 Oct 2008, 18:10
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
as for "melody variation" (eg. ripoff), there are several well known. Nirvana - ? can't remember name, most known song? (might be, or not... first half of riff is basically identical, second is very different), Deep Purple - Black Night (admitted ripoff), Scorpions - White Dove (not even hidden from eastern people, hidden from western fans), etc. etc... this goes on all time. Andy Scott from Sweet mentioned how Brian May from Queen ripped off some his stuff from Action in Bohemian Rhapsody, and how he himself ripped off some Hendrix in his solos. It is always going on...
Post 14 Oct 2008, 22:04
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
Quote:
Yes, of course you are right. So I offer Pink Floyd's, "I have Become Comfortably Numb". I've often thought I'd like this one played at my funeral ... the ultimate comfortably numbness!

I just hope it has nothing to do with some your career achievements Razz Wink

I have hard time finding some english lyrics song with deeper meaning. As for me, there is one song I recently found (thanks to Don), whose meaning very much fits my mindset is Bob Seger - Old Times Rock and Roll. Not so deep thought, but unbelievably close to what i feel most times i hear any massmedia music...
Post 14 Oct 2008, 22:25
tom tobias

tom tobias
vid wrote:

there is one song I recently found (thanks to Don), whose meaning very much fits my mindset is Bob Seger - Old Times Rock and Roll.
And here it is, performed by Tom Cruise in the 1983 movie: Risky Business.
My personal favorite among Bob Seger's many excellent songs (Night Move, Stranger in Town), is Against the Wind, which has always expressed, for me, the conflict between truth and power.
Post 15 Oct 2008, 03:03
Loser

Loser
Borsuc wrote:
Where can I download that song? please
Try this. Wink

MHajduk wrote:
Sarah Brightman sings Concierto de Aranjuez by Joaquin Rodrigo
Sarah Brightman is one of my favourite female singers. Wink
Post 15 Oct 2008, 03:55
Loser

Loser
Some semi-oldies ...

夏韶聲 - 空凳
http://hk.youtube.com/watch?v=CrwLx8753Dw
(This song was the winner of a songwriting contest in 1985.)

太極 - 留住我吧
http://hk.youtube.com/watch?v=x_bDf8Z4DMI
(The melody is perfect!)

優客李林 - 認錯
http://hk.youtube.com/watch?v=PlMp798woBc
(Don't miss the last part of this song, which is the best part!)

Enjoy! Wink
Post 15 Oct 2008, 04:49

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 510, 511, 512  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: