flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Urgent Help -- Data Recovery

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
That is not an "n" it is π (or "pi", 3.1415926535...)
Post 18 Apr 2008, 14:50
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Borsuc

Borsuc
Backpi (or backpee? Wink)

hmm...
Post 18 Apr 2008, 15:01
revolution

revolution
Maybe I should make this my signature?

"Have you backed-up your data today?"
Post 18 Apr 2008, 15:08
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
edfed

edfed
for sure, you should... Laughing

i'll delete this signature when you'll set it as your or when i'll be fed up of this one.
Post 18 Apr 2008, 15:43
revolution

revolution
Copy-cat Mad
Post 18 Apr 2008, 15:59
rugxulo

rugxulo
edfed wrote:

[utopia?]
i hope one day, we'll all make a OS in FASM that fit on a single floppy, but support independant (usb drive, HDD, CDROM...), open source (of course), downloadable in the same place as fasm versions, and maybe bootable from network at this place...and fuck off windows, linux, solaris, macos, etc...[/utopia?]

You mean like OctaOS? (No network support yet, though.)

BTW, ManOfSteel, if you're still reading this, I hope everything is fine over there (please tell us your results!). Yes, GoPlat is right, TestDisk will probably help you in case your MBR/partition table was erased.

Anyways, Win9x is indeed not perfect, and it requires itself to be installed at the very start of a HD (probably why it still partially boots). And it is prone to crashes that trash itself (well, at least Win95 was, in my experience). Since it only uses FAT, there should be no trouble booting a floppy unless your partition table is invalid. Definitely you should report a bug if ReactOS automatically without warning installed anything from the liveCD.

Assuming TestDisk works, you should then burn all valuable data to CD-R or DVD or whatever. Then, make sure to backup your MBR via something like BOOTMGR (DOS tool, no need to install, just backup the MBR to floppy). A good DOS sector editor that can modify or save raw disk info is WDE. Both come with .ASM src (NASM and TASM, respectively).

P.S. "Fdisk has an undocumented parameter called /mbr that causes it to write the master boot record to the hard disk without altering the partition table information." (So that's no help here.)
Post 21 Apr 2008, 18:32
ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel
Hello,

Sorry I could not reply earlier, but I was quite busy.

It seems only the MBR was corrupted. While searching for recovery software I found the great TestDisk, which solved the problem in minutes (BTW, thanks Goplat for mentioning it).

Yes indeed, Alphonso it was BootEasy. I know that because I have FreeBSD installed on another computer and it uses BootEasy too. Last time I checked their page (few weeks ago) ReactOS was still alive.

Rugxulo, I've used Win 95 and 98 for maybe the last ten years and apart from chronic instability I've never had any major problem (at least none related to data loss or boot problems).
I found it weird too that a live CD would do that, since I've tried dozens in the past without any problem, but I won't report it to the ReactOS team because it's a quite old one I used. And since it was working fine in Bochs, I guess something went really wrong with the CD burning process. Anyway, I have learnt a lesson.

After repairing the MBR with TestDisk the only problem I found was that scandisk refused to check c: . Anyway I took no risk and transferred all my files to safety through the LAN, repartitioned, reformatted and restored everything.
Post 29 Apr 2008, 09:55
revolution

revolution
wrote:
... I've used Win 95 and 98 for maybe the last ten years and apart from chronic instability I've never had any major problem ...
Hmm, I always considered instability to be a major problem. Loss of time and loss of work are not nice things to deal with. I don't like the feeling of "will I be able to finish this before it crashes?", just plain distracting and not fun.
Post 29 Apr 2008, 10:03
tom tobias

tom tobias
revolution wrote:
...I always considered instability to be a major problem. Loss of time and loss of work are not nice things to deal with.
I don't mean to disagree with you, however, the assumption that our working environment will remain CONSTANT, unchanging, with ample electricity to power up our computer, is somewhat over optimistic, in my opinion, hence, one ought to acquire, I think, work habits which ASSUME the worst, including death of the hard drive, OS, power supply, etc. There is really no excuse, with the low prices for computers these days, not to have redundancy, running two or three additional machines, even perhaps, one of them operating from uninterruptable power source, to avoid losing one's data. Therefore, I do not find it worrisome to use an OS that crashes periodically, as win98, and even xp, sometimes do. Yesterday, I experienced such a crash. I lost nothing of importance, because everything I do is transferred to one of several other machines, as I work. These are man made devices, often constructed with inferior components, and prone to failure prematurely....
"not fun"... hmm. Actually, it is quite relaxing to spend a couple of hours dissecting a sick computer, figuring out what is wrong, and then ordering some replacement parts....
Post 29 Apr 2008, 10:14
revolution

revolution
Well, sure tom, but my laptop has it's own power supply, no problem there, I get about 3-4 hours warning before I have to get power restored.

But having the OS crash "periodically" is not something that one should need to deal with, it is avoidable so avoid it. If my HDD crashes then I have ample backups to make it only an inconvenience. They are mechanical so it is expected and planned for. But they don't crash often and it is not much of a concern if once in 5 years I get a dead HDD or PSU or whatever.
Post 29 Apr 2008, 10:25
rugxulo

rugxulo
ManOfSteel, glad to know everything is okay!

We should all backup our MBRs, burn important files to CD-R, as well as download a few liveCDs (Linux, NetBSD, OctaOS, whatever) just in case.
Post 03 May 2008, 07:42

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: