flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > stupid accident

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel
LocoDelAssembly wrote:
OK, just tried with a WIN98SE I have in a VirtualPC. As edfed says the partition table is also restored (I have a single partition).

Could you try with 2 or more partitions, please?
Post 23 Nov 2009, 10:44
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
OK, I've tried this (and unfortunately in this order, otherwise I would concluded the tests earlier):

*Created a primary partition of ~4096MB
*Created a extended partition of 8192MB
*Set the extended partition as active
*Created two logical partitions of different sizes
*Rebooted
*Formatted all partitions
*Destroyed MBR
*Rebooted
*Recovered MBR with FDISK
*Rebooted

What I get: A single primary partition ( C: ) active of 8025MB making 49% of disk usage.

If I do dir C: I get the correct size and scandisk detects no errors, but fdisk still says it is an 8GB partition.

I repeated what I did above but formatting only the first logical partition but again a I got the same table but this time with filesystem UNKNOWN.

Then I created only one partition of 12345MB without formatting it and then destroyed and recovered the MBR. Same as above.

I've also deleted all partitions and then destroyed and recovered the MBR. Same as above.

Tried deleting all partitions but recovered MBR without destroying it first. No partitions appeared this time. Creating a partition and then applying the recovery preserved it (i.e. only the MBC is fixed when the table integrity is found valid).

OK, I think it is evident already that the recovery is not one of the best around. Smile
Post 23 Nov 2009, 18:20
ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel
Thanks for taking the time and having the patience to go through this.

One should always have full backups of the data stored on their disks as well as backups of the MBRs. That's the best recovery plan.
Otherwise, use an application that actually *works*, like TestDisk.
Post 23 Nov 2009, 18:56
edfed

edfed
while looking to the disassembly

Quote:

"If you look at your Win98(se) page, you'll see that the last 3 bytes are different there... that's because you first booted into Win98 at a different TIME. It's in DECIMAL and (above) simply means: 08:30:19 (8:30:19 am). Your Win98 MBR page has: " 80 06 53 19 " which means: First HD drive at 7:53:06 PM. I still have no idea HOW the OS uses it, but if you zero-out all four bytes (and the two bytes in front of them are also zeros!), they will be changed by a Win98, Win95b, Win98SE or ME (iow, MSWIN4.1) OS at some point while you boot up the Windows OS."

it means windows will write on mbr frequentlly?
in that case, ssd & flash drives will not last a long time!!!
Post 23 Nov 2009, 22:46
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: