flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > A quick question about reinstalling windows xp

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
edfed wrote:
the world is waiting for a free open source win98
I'm not waiting for a buggy free OS. I guess that means I am not part of the world Sad
Post 29 Mar 2008, 07:16
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
rugxulo

rugxulo
If anybody else is wanting to reinstall XP, I'd suggest you wait and just get SP3 first since it supposedly speeds up a fair bit (10% or so).
Post 29 Mar 2008, 07:33
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
f0dder

f0dder
Quote:
the world is waiting for a free open source win98. yeah!
No it's not - there might be a few whackos like you clinging on to win9x, but the world as a whole has, thankfully, moved on Smile
Post 29 Mar 2008, 12:23
edfed

edfed
if 98 is open source, then, it will be debugged by everyone... and i'll learn C language just to modify the source or translate it in FASM. and changing all references to "(c) m$" with "free, yeah!!!"
Post 29 Mar 2008, 14:12
f0dder

f0dder
I'd rather be stuck with linux than win9x - and that says a lot. Sorry, but compared to other OSes, 9x is a dos extender on steroids. No proper protection, et cetera.
Post 29 Mar 2008, 16:32
rugxulo

rugxulo
Win9x is useful on older P2/P3 machines which just don't have enough RAM, HD, etc. to run XP or Vista. Yes, Win2k and newer are slightly more stable but are less compatible with DOS.

Anyways, if you really want the best of both worlds, just dual boot: DSL Linux, DeLi Linux, ZipSlack Slackware Linux, or also try OctaOS, FreeDOS, etc. for assembly fun. Wink

Not every OS has to be overly bloated. There is no perfect OS. Individual needs vary.
Post 29 Mar 2008, 18:12
f0dder

f0dder
Not many people need DOS compatibility these days - I think I'd rather be on NT4 than Win9x, to be honest... dunno about linux vs. NT4 though. But in reality, you have to have very old hardware to run anything less than win2k...
Post 29 Mar 2008, 18:21
rugxulo

rugxulo
XP will run on a Pentium 1 (some guy actually did it) although I'm sure it's slow. Anyways, the point is that edfed doesn't have Win2k, so it's moot unless he wants to go out and buy it. He may as well try the free alternatives if he's broke or cheap or adventurous, etc. Wink

I dunno how fast Win2k is on his hardware, though, or what edfed's need are, so I'm hesitant to suggest it "just because". You can buy a brand new Ferrari, but if you only go to the grocery store and work, you've overpaid. Win9x was "good enough" back in the day, and if all he's doing is web browsing and coding, he doesn't need all the latest stuff, it'd be overkill. Why buy a $400 PS3 when you can enjoy a cheaper PS2 every bit as much? (Lots more games, too.) You have to be pragmatic sometimes. Oh, and don't forget, using slightly older computers is considered recycling. So, he's helping the environment. Laughing

EDIT: edfed, you may be interested in the older 5.x Slax Linux liveCD "Kill Bill" 5.1.8.1 (204 MB .ISO download), which includes (IIRC) DOSBox 0.63, WINE, and QEMU 0.8.
Post 29 Mar 2008, 18:41

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: