flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > A quick question about reinstalling windows xp

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
OzzY

OzzY
If I boot linux, then delete C:\Program files and C:\Windows and leave only the folders with documents that I need, and then reinstall Windows, would it work?
I'm thinking about this to not have to reformat the HD. I would just defrag after this getting done.

Would it work?

Thanks
Post 26 Mar 2008, 05:50
sinsi

sinsi
Watch out for "c:\documents and settings"

If you want to keep all your settings, do a repair. It kills the windows directory and the inf (hardware) directory, but keeps registry settings etc. AFAIK
Post 26 Mar 2008, 06:01
OzzY

OzzY
I want to keep only some documents. Not the full documents and settings and not the registry.
I want to do a fresh install.
Would it work?
Post 26 Mar 2008, 06:07
sinsi

sinsi
Backup what you want to c:\qwerty for example and reinstalling won't touch that directory (unless you do a format)
If you can delete from linux then you can back up to a linux dir can't you?
Post 26 Mar 2008, 06:10
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
Whenever I reinstall Windows I just follow this procedure
  1. Backup the docs you need
  2. Boot from floppy/live CD
  3. Delete C:\Windows & C:\Docs and settings.
  4. Boot from Windows install CD and install
  5. Apply SP2
  6. Get updates from MS website (a few reboots needed)
  7. Restore your docs
This leaves the system in close to a new state each time.
Post 26 Mar 2008, 07:18
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
tom tobias

tom tobias
The thread is titled, "Quick Question...", however, the solution is NOT quick, but rather prolonged.
Ozzy wants NOT only a FRESH installation of windows, but ALSO to be able to boot Linux. Reinstalling windows, by definition, destroys the boot loader.
I routinely reinstall my 3 OS, about monthly.... I keep a third partition, the last, with all of my documents, which I also copy monthly, to cdrom.
I reformat every time. It ends up being FASTER, than fiddling around trying to fix this and that problem.
Sequence:
1. set up partitions (of course, after having copied all pertinant files to cdrom)
2. win98 (C)
3. win xp (D) (extended)
4. linux (primary)
5. linux swap (primary)
6. document drive (E) (extended)
I use only FAT32 so that all drives can access all docs.
Post 26 Mar 2008, 13:26
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
tom tobias wrote:
I use only FAT32 so that all drives can access all docs.
OzzY: If you intend to follow this advice then you need to make sure that you don't need to use any files larger than 4GB. FAT32 maximum file size is 2^32−1 bytes.
Post 26 Mar 2008, 14:34
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
edfed

edfed
note from me:

don't install XP.

erf, no, it's not the note.

one time i reinstalled XP on this machine. xp was still there, no format needed, but then, what appeared in the delete menu? delete XP...
the same for 98, if you reinstall 98 on a partition that still have 98, it will be concidered as an external software installation.

then, i tryied to install 98 on a partition with only the non windows folder, then, it works.

same for XP, you can install XP on a partition that is not empty, and nothing is erased.
then, you can do the original question without fear.
it works.

no need to format, it's still formated, no need to backup any file, they will not be deleted.

re-note from me:
one day, ( the day i have a working os in my FASMW editor), there will be no need to install anything, just click on an icon, then, it will copy the bootsector, the file system entry (no need to format, all will be concidered as empty if not referenced by directory) and no restart, just one thing, click, and wait some seconds before to use the machine for what it is , a machine, with programms.

one thing is very nasty, the fact that OS become not a way to work, but a goal.

look, simply look, the madness of geeks,
geek n°1: linux is better, linux, linux, linux
geek n°2: no way, windows is the best, it can drive all hardware
geek n°3: pfffff, BSD,
geek n°4: macos, definitelly macos...

and me: hem, i don't care about os, i use PC for MP3/WAV playback, AVI watching, internet browsing, and FASM coding.
then, the OS is not the goal, but only th way to launch programms.

geeks n° 1,2,3 & 4: shut up, i love my OS, it's sooo magic...

me: as you want, you can open your ass too, and wait for M$, MAC, linux, to make an anal OS, that can make you joy a maximum.
free to you ...

them: but what are you really doing with a machine? all you make is poor ASSEMBLY programming.

me: yep, but i don't contribute to babylon circus of OS...
Post 26 Mar 2008, 15:08
OzzY

OzzY
I'm thinking about trying another linux distribution anyway (debian), so I'll reinstall both OSes.
I don't have any important docs, just my sister's docs and my music, so I'll back them up to a DVD (just to be safe) then boot linux, delete all folders from Windows HD and reinstall it. Then install Linux and let it set the boot loader. Or I could just reinstall grub from Arch Linux CD and be done. Wink

Yeah, a very lengthy procedure I think. Would it give significant speed gains, since my windows installation is here for over an year maybe with lots of unused registry settings and orphan DLLs? I think yes, right?
Post 26 Mar 2008, 15:16
edfed

edfed
save on cd or dvd is a good idea, not becaus einstall can erase them, but more because a HD can die without any possibility to prevent it.
it happen to me. and i'm happy to have the fasm forumù to save my work.
then, my mavhine can burn, it's not important, the sources are all on the forum.
Post 26 Mar 2008, 16:15
OzzY

OzzY
Just reinstalled a fresh WinXP.
It's a lot faster now. Hopefully I'll not install a bunch of crap anymore. I'll just install essential software.
And also, I'll create an account for my sister. It was a big mistake to let her run as admin.
Also, I keep this slim and organized, and run ccleaner a bunch of times a week and I'll not have to reinstall it anymore.
After I finish configuring this, I'll do a Debian netinst here. And hopefully I'll end up with a stable system for the foreseeable future with both Windows and GNU/Linux.
Post 26 Mar 2008, 18:25
f0dder

f0dder
btw., you should partition your harddrive so you have a relatively small system partition for windows + programs, move all your documents to another partition (you can change the "My Documents" folder to point to that partition, too).

This makes reinstallation a lot easier, even if there's typically some application settings or other registry-related things you want to save.

Also, look at http://www.nliteos.com/ - it's very useful for removing fat from XP, as well as integrating service packs and hotfixes into the install, as well as creating unattended install CDs...
Post 27 Mar 2008, 00:08
edfed

edfed
Quote:
Reinstalling windows, by definition, destroys the boot loader.

not the full truth.

one more example:

i made a very, very big mistake one time.
try to install xp on a system where was still 98.
as a result, it gave me the choise to boot on 98 or XP, then.
i tryed to see the difference between XP and 98, and on the same machine, guess who is the best? xp was constantlly attacked by VIrii (with or without antivir) or things like that, and 98 was never attacked (with or without antivir too.)
XP took more than 1 minute to start and 98 less than 20 seconds, to do exactlly the same thing, compute.
then, i was bored by xp, tried to delete it from the drive.
it was IMPOSSIBLE.

i made a copy of the boot sector from an other machine with 98, put it to the machine where to delete XP, but nothing changed, XP was here, always here.
the multiboot menu is not in the boot sector, but in the second stage bootloader or after.
it's a hidden system file like the directory win\temp internet files\content.IE5
something invisible.
this file was impossible to find by an usual way, even in pure DOS mode.
then, i found it with a linux live CD, delete it... delete all files for XP.

result, my system crashed, i loose all my datas on the machine, and the worse, two days later, my HD die due to the previous manipulation.

i switched on the PC, and i heard a noise like a fork against a plate.

conclusion, XP is pure shit. without colorant or perufume.

i don't understand why there are so many directories.
at least 2 differents documents and settings... erf
Post 27 Mar 2008, 00:37
f0dder

f0dder
edfed XP without service pack 2 will usually be compromised automatically in less than a minute, if you're on an always-connected broadband connection without a NAT'ing router. Conclusion? slipstream service pack 2, use the built-in firewall, and use a NAT'ing router.

For the rest, you fucked up your system with a linux CD, and blame XP? Smile. NT uses the files NTDLR, NTDETECT.COM, BOOT.INI. All of them perfectly visible within XP. Only non-visible things are caused by explorer namespaces, or the special folders that even an admin doesn't have access to (unless you grant yourself with 'cacls'). No problem removing that from another OS, as long as it can safely access your partition.

Installing multiple windows versions to one partition = bad idea.

Quote:
i switched on the PC, and i heard a noise like a fork against a plate.
Head crash, a physical problem... not something an operating system would cause.

Quote:
i don't understand why there are so many directories.
at least 2 differents documents and settings... erf
Because you've tried installing XP twice to the same partition, perhaps?

Anyway, learn to blame yourself befoer you blame anybody else Smile
Post 27 Mar 2008, 00:49
edfed

edfed
XP is not a personn, i blame it if i want. ( i blame myself enough i think/ ho i'm a shit, i cannot create items frm XHTML, i'm a shit, i'm a poor idiot)
[troll]
what is a service pack?
is it a sort of inlate version of the OS?
i never see it in linux or 98.
only NT have this problem. NT4 have up to 6 packs. but to do what? corect some imperfections of the original OS.

the head crashed because they was very tired of all the manipulations XP done. XP makes a constant virtuallisation (with head dancing) and swapping, even if the ram is empty.

i understand that you can find it more reliable, you install, al your hardware is ok, but don't you see how much it is a shit? and this poor blue theme, beurk!
[/troll]
Post 27 Mar 2008, 01:02
f0dder

f0dder
edfed: it's lame blaming something else when the problem is your own ignorance - that's what I mean by "blame yourself first".

A service pack is a "fix point", really... instead of having to get a zillion updates after an OS reinstall, you integrate a service pack with the OS install, and need a lot less updates after the reinstall. Btw hotfixes (windows updates) can be slipstreamed into a NT install as well.

You can almost think of Win98SE as a service pack for win98, and you can definitely think of the minor-versions of linux distros as service packs as well.

Quote:
the head crashed because they was very tired of all the manipulations XP done. XP makes a constant virtuallisation (with head dancing) and swapping, even if the ram is empty.
There isn't much unnecessary disk activity on my system, *shrug* - and definitely not enough to cause problems on a disk that wasn't about to die in the first place. It's true that it's hard to get your system disk on standby, though, because there *is* very often some disk activity. But it's been years since I've run a system that sat idle and did nothing, so I haven't bothered looking into it Smile
Post 27 Mar 2008, 01:18
AlexP

AlexP
Thought I'd put in something, I did a fresh install of WinXP on my HDD a few months back, it SCREWED the graphics up horribly. I'm not saying anything against it, but even animations such as Window dragging lagged up the computer beyond productivity...
Post 27 Mar 2008, 01:40
f0dder

f0dder
AlexP: install graphics drivers? Smile
Post 27 Mar 2008, 01:45
AlexP

AlexP
Hmm, IDK Smile. It was just a fresh XP SP 1 install, computers today do not come with the OS disks though.... It sucks that I cannot clean my laptop's HDD because the manufacturer didn't feel like shipping the OS recovery disks. (or anything but the comp. and charger Smile.
Post 29 Mar 2008, 05:49
edfed

edfed
reinstall 98, now, for me, it works very well.

my experience told me that 98 is good the first month, and after, it hangs a lot.

but, as you're asm coders, it would not be a problem to do that Very Happy Laughing

one post, dual reply:
the world is waiting for a free open source win98. yeah!
Post 29 Mar 2008, 06:14

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: