flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Feedback > board.flatassembler is obsolete

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
edfed

edfed
as i developp the xhtml parser for fab, i read the html suorce of the board, then, what i see? Surprised
Code:
              </TR>
            </TABLE>

<p align="center">
<b></b>
</p>
<p align="center">
<!--
        Powered by phpBB line, with phpBB linked to www.phpbb.com. If you refuse
        to include even this then support on our forums may be affected.

The phpBB Group : 2002
// -->
Powered by <a href="http://www.phpbb.com/" target="_phpbb" class="copyright">phpBB</a> &copy; 2001-2005 phpBB Group.<br />
<br />
</p>
          </TD>
        </TR>
      </TABLE>

</TD></TR></TABLE>
  </TD>
  </TR>
  <TR><TD ALIGN="center" COLSPAN="2">
    <TABLE cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" border="0">
      <TR><TD ALIGN="center" NOWRAP>
        <SPAN CLASS="smalltext">
        <A CLASS="boldlink" HREF="http://flatassembler.net/index.php">Main index</A>&nbsp;&nbsp;
        <A CLASS="boldlink" HREF="http://flatassembler.net/download.php">Download</A>&nbsp;&nbsp;
        <A CLASS="boldlink" HREF="http://flatassembler.net/docs.php">Documentation</A>&nbsp;&nbsp;
        <A CLASS="boldlink" HREF="http://flatassembler.net/examples.php">Examples</A>&nbsp;&nbsp;
        <A CLASS="boldlink" HREF="http://board.flatassembler.net">Message board</A>
        </SPAN>
      </TD></TR>
    </TABLE>
  </TD></TR>
  <TR><TD ALIGN="center" COLSPAN="2">
    <SPAN CLASS="smalltext">
     Copyright &copy; 2004-2005, <A HREF="mailto:tgrysztar@flatassembler.net">Tomasz Grysztar</A>.
    </SPAN>
  </TD></TR>
</TABLE>

</BODY>
</HTML>

an incredible error, the end of the pages have tags in UPPERCASE.
then, the xhtml spec says that all sites shall be updated to comply with xhtml 1.0.

Rolling Eyes it is for web inufication.

Idea Arrow Exclamation all tags shall be in lowercase. Exclamation

Wink
Post 18 Mar 2008, 14:00
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
MazeGen

MazeGen
I don't know where exactly you found this, but this page's DTD says:

Code:
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">

And if it would be XHTML? You think we can expect nuclear blast caused by this board? Or, what browser renders this board wrong way? Your post is needless again.
Post 18 Mar 2008, 14:48
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
edfed

edfed
no way.
everywhere, the standard will be xhtml 1.1

see the Transitional keyword.
it means that the doctype (DOCTYPE) is in a temporary format.

because all before the last w3c recommendation are obsolete.

the explanation of this evolution is just, evolution.
positive feedback over years force w3c to modify and arrange the html, and to make it more conforming to xml, it shall have tags in lowercase, as there are uppercase keywords different than the lowercase.

it is not needless. just boring.
Post 18 Mar 2008, 16:07
f0dder

f0dder
edfed: the world doesn't work that way. People will continue to write broken html, and browser will continue to render it more-or-less correctly. You can't force the entire web over to xhtml, just like you can't magically go from IPv4 to IPv6.

And even if everything moved to xhtml, what would it help? Browsers would still have rendering bugs etc... there's no "reference browser" to test against, and the specifications are pretty wide open to (mis)interpretation.
Post 18 Mar 2008, 16:19
MazeGen

MazeGen
edfed wrote:
no way.
everywhere, the standard will be xhtml 1.1

Oh, you can see the future? What about html5?

And why do you think that there is a need to leave html4? It simply works, and as long as some visual agent can display it, html4 is good enough for many documents.

edfed wrote:

see the Transitional keyword.
it means that the doctype (DOCTYPE) is in a temporary format.

Temporary or not, it is a valid standard, supported by many browsers.

edfed wrote:

positive feedback over years force w3c to modify and arrange the html, and to make it more conforming to xml, it shall have tags in lowercase, as there are uppercase keywords different than the lowercase.

Why one should make his html4 documents more conforming to xml? html4 is standardized, and works in many browsers, and probably will work in future.

I'm quite satisfied with html4 on my site and don't see any reason to move to another standard now or in future.
Post 18 Mar 2008, 17:33
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
I don't know if it is obsolete but the way it marks the threads as read is terrible, it uses a cookie that gets bigger and bigger everytime you read an unread post and since I had lots of unread threads (around 380), there was a moment that I couldn't browse the forum anymore because the TCP connections started to close just after sending all the (big) HTTP request.

Fortunatelly I saved the situation by injecting my IE session on Opera, that marked all the posts as unread again and all I had to do was starting from page 5 of 8 and ignoring the fact that from pages 6 to 8 the thread was marked as unread in the "post since last visit" Razz

Tomasz, if possible, try to set up a different scheme because this depletes your bandwidth faster, even every single image on this forum recieves the big MySQL table cookie because the cookies gets installed for the entire board.flatassembler.net site!!
Post 05 Apr 2008, 23:17
f0dder

f0dder
Move to a better piece forum software, like SMF?
Post 06 Apr 2008, 15:28
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
The SMF software has always seemed okay to me, but it looks ugly in the default configurations.

Is there an easy method of porting the DB from PHPBB to SMF?
Post 06 Apr 2008, 16:13
edfed

edfed
i don't want color shades on this board. this presentation is perfect. but it's true there are frequentlly some server problems... and the unread post that disappear when i read the first one... it's a bit hardcore when it's more than 5 threads.
Post 06 Apr 2008, 16:20
f0dder

f0dder
revolution wrote:
The SMF software has always seemed okay to me, but it looks ugly in the default configurations.
*shrug* - I think the default theme on asmcommunity looks nice enough.

revolution wrote:
Is there an easy method of porting the DB from PHPBB to SMF?
Dunno, but it's certainly doable, and can probably be automated pretty easily. Iirc we used to use phpBB at asmcommunity? We've been through a bunch of different pieces of forum software Smile

Post 06 Apr 2008, 16:58
dap

dap
Post 06 Apr 2008, 17:31
moile

moile
Quote:

Fortunatelly I saved the situation by injecting my IE session on Opera, that marked all the posts as unread again and all I had to do was starting from page 5 of 8 and ignoring the fact that from pages 6 to 8 the thread was marked as unread in the "post since last visit"

looks like problem solved now.
i don't lose new posts even if i log out and relog in.
Post 17 Apr 2008, 17:15
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
revolution

revolution
moile wrote:
looks like problem solved now.
i don't lose new posts even if i log out and relog in.
Hey, moile, or should I say edfed, it's not nice to be two handles.
Post 17 Apr 2008, 17:54
edfed

edfed
it was a curiousity, to see if the problem is solved...
remember, when you don't visit the forum for a long time, the new posts are signaled by yellow buttons, then, one month ago, if you consult one message, you lose the yellow signals, then, i verify, and contated it is solved...
Post 17 Apr 2008, 17:58
revolution

revolution
Here is another problem. The database is not properly synchronised with itself, or something.

It says 10 replies, but only 2 show up.
Post 25 Apr 2008, 06:33

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: