flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Is your hard disk a mess?

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
OzzY

OzzY
I want to know how many people here throw random files on the hard disk and let it very messed up.
I do. It sucks! I'm thinking about formating the windows hard disk. But I'm just lazy. lol
I'm currently using linux a lot and it's very well organized (must be the /home notation which makes it easier to not mess it up).
But I'm thinking of an easy well to reorganize windows. hehe
Post 18 Mar 2008, 05:25
Tomasz Grysztar

Tomasz Grysztar
Linux well organized? Hell, when I first used it I had a feeling I had a mess on hard drive even before I started doing anything there - so many strange directories, while in DOS at the time I had everything sorted into just a few directories with meaningful names.
I always used just one directory to put all the temporary, work and "not decided yet" things in, and felt really bad if any such file went anywhere else...

Oh, and BTW - I've got an empty desktop. Since the Win 3.11 -> Win95 migration I still have the problem with getting used to the idea that I could actually hold some things there. Very Happy
Post 18 Mar 2008, 09:11
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
shoorick

shoorick
data organisation on disk depends more on user, then OS. and i agree about desktop - i see it once only when OS boots Very Happy

Description: mine desktop
Filesize: 2.09 KB
Viewed: 3542 Time(s)

desktop.jpg

Post 18 Mar 2008, 11:07
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
f0dder

f0dder
I'll have to agree that linux isn't super well organized - and location of things vary from desktop to desktop. Details like whether stuff goes in /usr/* or /usr/local/* , config files can be stored in /etc/* or a lot of different places, some applications use /var/* et cetera.

With Windows, there's a lot of ill-behaved applications Smile, but at least there's some reasonable requirements from Microsoft - like HKCU, %AppData%, et cetera.
Post 18 Mar 2008, 11:54
TmX

TmX
Hmm quite the contrary.
I actually like the FHS design.

But yeah, sometimes it can be really confusing.

Example :
Put this thing in /bin or /usr/bin or /usr/sbin ?
Where to save the config : /home or /etc

And so on Laughing

BTW, anybody knows GoboLinux ? Strange filesystem hierarchy ...
Post 18 Mar 2008, 13:21
f0dder

f0dder
TmX: problem is that either not every distro and app follows that standard, or that it has too many option (it's been some years since I looked at it last, so I'm not in a position to say which problem it is). /usr, /usr/local, /var, /var/local, do config files go in /etc root or /etc/appname, or /usr/etc, ....... and there's the issue of per-distro init scripts et cetera. It's a bloody mess.

With Windows, you have one (powerful) interface for controlling services, that doesn't require hand-written init scripts, and is stored in one central location. And the standard of putting configuration in registry HKEY_CURRENT_USER, or %AppData% (and sure thing, developers are morons so there's a lot of people not following that standard - but the standard is there, and afaik you don't get windows logo certification if you violate it... plus you get shitloads of problems when running as non-admin, or on Vista, etc...)
Post 18 Mar 2008, 13:37
TmX

TmX
f0dder wrote:
TmX: problem is that either not every distro and app follows that standard

True.
Fortunately, I don't use lots of distros (mainly just Ubuntu & Slackware).
Indeed there are some differences there, but is still tolerable and work for me
Wink

f0dder wrote:

With Windows, you have one (powerful) interface for controlling services, that doesn't require hand-written init scripts, and is stored in one central location.

True also.
Sometimes I wish "These things should be done easily in Linux, just like in Windows."
Oh well ... Rolling Eyes
Post 18 Mar 2008, 14:26
AlexP

AlexP
Well, I just keep all of my files in one directory - the desktop. That way, I have nothing in any other dir's, and I can back up all my stuff onto my special little flash drive with a single drag. Helps a lot if anything ever happens!
Post 18 Mar 2008, 14:35
asmhack

asmhack
cleared

Last edited by asmhack on 24 Aug 2008, 23:30; edited 2 times in total
Post 18 Mar 2008, 16:49
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
mine is total mess (except in certain partition) which i tried my best to manage them into logical folder.

the files coming in faster than the time that i spend to manage them.
Post 18 Mar 2008, 17:45
r22

r22
First I fill up 'My Documents' until it's unmanagable
Then the desktop
Then I buy a new computer and push the old one a half a meter to the right.

This way I help the economy and ensure that I have a rationale for buying a new toy every couple of years.
Post 18 Mar 2008, 23:36
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
f0dder

f0dder
asmhack wrote:
but i would suggest to backup every six months because windows registry becomes a mess...
First, I guess you mean "reinstall", and not "backup"? Backups should, ideally, be done once a day Smile

Second, where does the misconception wrt. the registry come from?

Post 18 Mar 2008, 23:48
asmhack

asmhack
yes you guessed right, edited..

f0dder wrote:

Second, where does the misconception wrt. the registry come from?

?
Post 19 Mar 2008, 00:32
f0dder

f0dder
The misconception that the registry gets messed up over time... even if you do install a lot of junk with broken uninstallers, keep in mind that binary search is used for key lookups.
Post 19 Mar 2008, 00:37
asmhack

asmhack
but registry holds info for a million of other things also.. like file extensions, components.. and if you use a registry 'fixer' app it will find many problems each time and secondly we are talking about windows.. Wink
Post 19 Mar 2008, 00:47
f0dder

f0dder
Yeah well, don't depend on those fixer apps, most of them are pretty buggy and can mess up your system royally. And besides, because of how the registry is structured, even 1000's of orphaned keys isn't really a problem. The biggest performance problem is if your hive files get heavily fragmented...
Post 19 Mar 2008, 00:57
asmhack

asmhack
well also start/run:dfrg.msc every week
Post 19 Mar 2008, 01:05
OzzY

OzzY
Yeah, I agree Windows is better organized. C:\Windows for system files, C\Program files for programs, use the rest as you like. Very Happy

But what I really meant was linux kind of force you to use /home for all your files. The rest is for the system. In the end your /home will be more organized then your "My documents". Laughing

I'm currently dual booting Windows XP and Arch Linux. BTW... I love Arch Linux.

But I still prefer Win32 programming, especially in ASM. In C or C++ or scripting languages it's ok on Linux.
Post 21 Mar 2008, 04:19
Rahsennor

Rahsennor
My hard disks are nicely sorted (although rather cluttered - 20 GB seems smaller everyday) except for one directory: C:\win32. In Linux, even if you don't understand it, there is order to all those directories. Windows can't seem to tell the difference between "*.exe" and "*.ini".

OzzY: I use Arch. Very Happy Or I did, until I crashed it. GCC is a beast. Evil or Very Mad
Post 22 Mar 2008, 03:17
bitRAKE

bitRAKE
I have a massive library which is sorted - includes all types of media. Linking to the source online isn't always possible or wise, so I download stuff to read/search offline. Most of my paper books have been replaced by digital. Now that I have a laptop paper books serve no purpose.

Program directories are a mess, but I just pretend that they don't exist. I have a "tools" directory which only contains programs which don't need installing - which I prefer.

Post 22 Mar 2008, 17:26

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: