flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > If Revolution was a girl

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
Quote:
Pop music isn't a very good guide to English.

rock'n'roll music in my case Smile

I didn't know about this, thanks then.

In slovakia, term "woman" is more derogatory, because it implies person is old(er). most women under ~25 prefer being called "girl". THere is also diminished form of "girl" (something like "girlie") which is used exclusively on very young females.
Post 13 Mar 2008, 18:30
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
victor

victor
tom tobias wrote:
...victor's note of exasperation with bitRAKE's suggestion that $FFFFFFFF represents the largest value...
@tom tobias: You're in error here, factually. My note was referring to bitRAKE's frank remarks - "just making it up" - which I found very funny, and hence I suggested maybe I should also start making up my own functions. Frankly, I don't really care if someone comes up with a "bigger" entry, as the (original) thread is simply meant to be a mental exercise for all of us. I was not exasperated at all. Smile
Post 14 Mar 2008, 02:51
victor

victor
Quote:
Girl is used more often as an alternative for woman, especially in reference to a young woman, than boy is for man. (Boy in reference to an adult is normally found only in the plural or in meanings such as boyfriend.) However, the use of girl for a teenager or an adult is often regarded as patronizing or disrespectful, especially when it comes from a man.
Refer to this.
Post 14 Mar 2008, 03:21
tom tobias

tom tobias
Well, I do not use M$ as a reference work. Here is my opinion, in a nutshell:
"GIRL" means sexually immature female.
"WOMAN" means sexually mature female.
This is standard English, not restricted to North America.
The transition period of time between "girl" and "woman" is about 5-10 years in duration, and during that time, roughly, age 8-18, the female is often called "girl" or "young woman" somewhat interchangeably, until such time as her physical appearance is easily discernable as sexually mature, at which time, she is most properly referred to as woman, or "young woman", regardless of her age....Point for this thread is simple: a female (or male) with an intellectual background adequate to post a question of the sort suggested by revolution is typically sexually mature, hence, the term "girl" is inappropriate. True, Mozart wrote piano concerti age 6. But, typically, no, most folks are not able to participate in such profound mathematical discourse prior to complete maturation of the brain, which occurs during or shortly after puberty.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18295509?dopt=Abstract
Smile
Post 14 Mar 2008, 19:33
mattst88

mattst88
'Girl' is used in a non derogatory manner all the time. I'm not sure what we're talking about here.
Post 15 Mar 2008, 00:34
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
bitRAKE

bitRAKE
mattst88 wrote:
'Girl' is used in a non derogatory manner all the time. I'm not sure what we're talking about here.
I've been asking everyone since this topic came up, and the concensus so far is that it's derogatory. My teenage daughter and her friends don't want to be called "Girl", but girlfriend is okay. 50+ year old women can have a "night out with the Girls", but their husband better not call them a "Girl". Definitely, not a simple dualism.

Post 15 Mar 2008, 02:22
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
victor

victor
The trailer of this movie seems utterly intriguing. Take a look.

Now, please tell me: Should we call the leading actress, Dawn, a girl or a woman? Question Remember, she has TEETH! Exclamation
Post 15 Mar 2008, 05:24
victor

victor
Watch and listen to this video clip of the movie "ACROSS THE UNIVERSE."

Now, please tell me: Should we call the actress/singer, Prudence, a girl or a woman? Remember, she's got the voice of an angel! Razz
Post 15 Mar 2008, 08:30
bitRAKE

bitRAKE
Very Happy <-- smilie has teeth, but isn't a girl.
Surprised <-- singing smilie, but not a girl.

Laughing

[ Language is a moving target - what if Google image search defined "girl"? Shocked
(turn safe search off)]

Post 15 Mar 2008, 17:28
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
tom tobias wrote:
... This is standard English ...
You seem stuck in the past. Even "standard" English changes over time. It is all about usage, nothing is fixed in the language. As people use words in different ways and in different contexts the meanings slowly morph into something extra and sometimes something else. A simple word like 'gay' has transformed it's meaning over time. Someone transported from the 1950's would find it hard to comprehend many new meanings of English words.

Girl has many meanings. Woman has many meanings. It can't be plainer than that. To insist the world stick to one meaning is futile.

Also, even if your interpretation were correct about MHajduk's posting, you make another assumption about MHajduk. Perhaps MHajduk is a prepubescent boy (or girl), in which case no harm in liking prepubescent girls.

FWIW: I meant 'a female human being of any age' when I wrote girl.

So I guess the open question is still "what is the value if R(n)?".
Post 17 Mar 2008, 01:23
victor

victor
revolution wrote:
So I guess the open question is: "What is the value of R(n)?"
Sorry, I forgot to specify the exact meaning of n, which is the total number of revolution's sexual partners. The stronger the "demand", the stronger is the "supply." Hence, I believe R(n) -> infinity as n -> infinity. Razz
Post 17 Mar 2008, 02:54
tom tobias

tom tobias
"total number of partners", umm, no. I think he may well enjoy a LARGE quantity of unique partners, (even greater if we count sheep and goats,) but, still FINITE, not infinite....
Confused
revolution wrote:
You seem stuck in the past.
yes, that is one of my flaws....
revolution wrote:
Someone transported from the 1950's...
whew. that's a relief. here I was worried about the more serious possibility of having been a victim of intergalactic transport; poof, if it's nothing more than a five decade time translocation, Merlin ought to be able to repair that glitch in no time at all....
Rolling Eyes
Post 17 Mar 2008, 03:36
revolution

revolution
tom tobias wrote:
... if we count sheep and goats ...
Hehe, don't forget the canine and equine families.
Post 17 Mar 2008, 03:52
victor

victor
I am really concerned when reading cher revolution's comment:
revolution wrote:
tom tobias wrote:
... if we count sheep and goats ...
Hehe, don't forget the canine and equine families.
So, as with the need to estimate how big R(n) can ultimately grow, we must ask, in all humility, if our esteemed colleague genuinely finds the notion of having sex with sheep, goats, as well as animals from the canine and equine families, attractive? The word zoophile comes to my mind. Rolling Eyes

Note that the rolling eyes symbol is meant to convey the notion of improbability...

Someone would find my words very familiar, right? Laughing
Post 17 Mar 2008, 08:15
MHajduk

MHajduk
revolution wrote:
Perhaps MHajduk is a prepubescent boy (or girl), in which case no harm in liking prepubescent girls.
Nope. I'm 31, male and I'm interested in WOMEN to be precise (accordingly to personal tom's definitions in his own dialect of English language, not used in the rest of the world).

Why do you make any "assumptions" about my posting? Why do you defame people and create non-existing beings depending on pseudo-deductions from fake assumptions?

Simplier is to ask.
Post 17 Mar 2008, 08:24
revolution

revolution
MHajduk wrote:
Why do you make any "assumptions" about my posting? Why do you defame people and create non-existing beings depending on pseudo-deductions from fake assumptions?

Simplier is to ask.
I was just pointing out the cumulative assumptions that are made by people as they read posts here. It was not my intention to defame or offend. In this particular case tom tobias' assumption was in part correct and in part wrong. Just shows how strange and curious these forums are.
Post 17 Mar 2008, 10:21
bitRAKE

bitRAKE
MHajduk wrote:
We all make assumptions. For example, "defame". What are you implying about the description you've been given? I'm not being critical of you - the question is rhetorical. Communication requires assumptions and only through prolonged interaction may we increase the likelihood of those assumptions being correct.

There seems to be two very successful general techniques in this regard: question everything, and assume everything -- of course, until otherwise known.

Post 17 Mar 2008, 12:51
OzzY

OzzY
I use "girl" for women between 10-30 years old. Since I'm forever a boy I call my women "girls". Very Happy
It's rightly subjective.

BTW... would be nice if revolution was a girl or woman, whatever. Razz
Post 18 Mar 2008, 05:19
AlexP

AlexP
Thought this would be a good place to post something about Revolution, I found this:
Quote:
I do have my theme as classic style buttons.

The extra "InitCommonControlSex" thing gives no change at all.

It was in the Windows section, 'new style windows' or something. Thought it was funny, "control sex" Smile
Post 20 Mar 2008, 14:37
revolution

revolution
I thought no one noticed that, it was my little joke on MS.
Post 20 Mar 2008, 15:13

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: