flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > If Revolution was a girl

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
revolution
When all else fails, read the source


Joined: 24 Aug 2004
Posts: 17279
Location: In your JS exploiting you and your system
revolution
I think some here have forgotten that the Internet is not the phyiscal world? Shocked

Physical competitions, blind dates, permitted access to public toilets ... those things are important to specify gender.

But this is flatassembler.net. It is not a physical competition. It is not setting people up for dates (or not that I know of).
HaHaAnonymous wrote:
[Gender] is important, it defines the way people is going to treat you.
I find this statement mildly disturbing, mainly because I think it is mostly true. If I state that I am a girl (woman, female (Hi Tom)) I get treated in one way. If I state I am a boy (man, male) I get treated another way. If I state I am transgender (hermaphrodite, combined, or something else) I get treated yet another way. And if I did state any of those, how does that change who I am? Perhaps I could lie in order to get the treatment that I most prefer. And still no one would know the real truth because it is just the Internet, no one could prove me wrong anyway.
Post 03 Aug 2016, 16:34
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
YONG



Joined: 16 Mar 2005
Posts: 8000
Location: 22° 15' N | 114° 10' E
YONG
revolution wrote:
But this is flatassembler.net.
No! This is "board.flatassembler.net". You need to be specific!

revolution wrote:
I find this statement mildly disturbing, mainly because I think it is mostly true.
Disturbing? Rolling Eyes

We treat people differently based on their different attributes. There is nothing wrong with it. Gender is just one of these attributes.

For example, I treat the forum members differently based on their unique characteristics. I always try to pay the utmost respect to TG because I know that he would turn a blind eye to my posts if I don't. (Refer to this.) And I always like to challenge revolution because he/she does the same to other forum members and he/she likes retelling his/her old joke over and over again! (Refer to this.)

Wink
Post 04 Aug 2016, 03:30
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
revolution
When all else fails, read the source


Joined: 24 Aug 2004
Posts: 17279
Location: In your JS exploiting you and your system
revolution
YONG wrote:
We treat people differently based on their different attributes.
How is gender a relevant attribute on the Internet?
Post 04 Aug 2016, 03:38
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
YONG



Joined: 16 Mar 2005
Posts: 8000
Location: 22° 15' N | 114° 10' E
YONG
revolution wrote:
How is gender a relevant attribute on the Internet?
Like it or not, the Internet has become an integral part of our lives. (Refer to this.)

As such, your argument that what applies in real life does not necessarily apply in the cyberspace is no longer valid. Gender is an important attribute in BOTH real life AND the cyberspace.

Wink
Post 04 Aug 2016, 05:27
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
revolution
When all else fails, read the source


Joined: 24 Aug 2004
Posts: 17279
Location: In your JS exploiting you and your system
revolution
YONG wrote:
Like it or not, the Internet has become an integral part of our lives. (Refer to this.)

As such, your argument that what applies in real life does not necessarily apply in the cyberspace is no longer valid. Gender is an important attribute in BOTH real life AND the cyberspace.
A toaster is also part of my life. But revealing my gender to a toaster is not important. It either cooks my bread or it doesn't. Entering my gender into a toaster interface is irrelevant.

So far your argument appears to be this:
1. In the physical world gender is important.
2. The Internet is important and part of our lives.
3. Therefore gender is important on the Internet.

But step three does not follow from the previous two steps.
Post 04 Aug 2016, 05:36
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
YONG



Joined: 16 Mar 2005
Posts: 8000
Location: 22° 15' N | 114° 10' E
YONG
revolution wrote:
A toaster is also part of my life.
You missed the keyword here: integral.

A toaster is part of your life. But is it an integral part of your life?

Try to use better analogies next time.

Wink
Post 04 Aug 2016, 05:44
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
revolution
When all else fails, read the source


Joined: 24 Aug 2004
Posts: 17279
Location: In your JS exploiting you and your system
revolution
I can't see how the inclusion of the word "integral" fixes your argument. The Internet is still only part of our lives, integral or not. Other parts of our lives require gender classification, but how does the Internet require it? And more specifically, how does board.flatassembler.net require it?
Post 04 Aug 2016, 05:48
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
YONG



Joined: 16 Mar 2005
Posts: 8000
Location: 22° 15' N | 114° 10' E
YONG
revolution wrote:
The Internet is still only part of our lives, integral or not.
When the cyberspace becomes an integral part of our lives, it is no longer separable from real life. What is relevant in real life becomes relevant in the cyberspace as well.

revolution wrote:
And more specifically, how does board.flatassembler.net require it?
You are not interacting with the board. You are interacting with the forum members. It is the forum members, not the board, that would like to know more about you. Your attributes, including gender, are important to them, not to the board. The forum members would like to treat you appropriately based on your attributes. Of course, you can always lie about those things, whether you are surfing in the Internet or in real life. But that is not the point.

Wink
Post 04 Aug 2016, 06:16
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
revolution
When all else fails, read the source


Joined: 24 Aug 2004
Posts: 17279
Location: In your JS exploiting you and your system
revolution
YONG wrote:
When the cyberspace becomes an integral part of our lives, it is no longer separable from real life. What is relevant in real life becomes relevant in the cyberspace as well.
This I disagree with. It is a different part of our lives. Not all things relevant in "real life" are also relevant in "Internet life". One thing does not equal the other thing simply because it is included in the mix with other.
YONG wrote:
You are not interacting with the board. You are interacting with the forum members. It is the forum members, not the board, that would like to know more about you. Your attributes, including gender, are important to them, not to the board. The forum members would like to treat you appropriately based on your attributes. Of course, you can always lie about those things, whether you are surfing in the Internet or in real life. But that is not the point.
I am interacting through this board. We are not running in a race around a track. We are not setting up blind dates. So once again I ask why is it important to know someone's gender in order to interact via this board? How would you treat me differently if you knew my gender?
YONG wrote:
For example, I treat the forum members differently based on their unique characteristics. I always try to pay the utmost respect to TG because I know that he would turn a blind eye to my posts if I don't. (Refer to this.) And I always like to challenge revolution because he/she does the same to other forum members and he/she likes retelling his/her old joke over and over again!
And neither of these things require you to know the persons gender.
Post 04 Aug 2016, 06:24
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
YONG



Joined: 16 Mar 2005
Posts: 8000
Location: 22° 15' N | 114° 10' E
YONG
revolution wrote:
This I disagree with.
So be it. You are entitled to your opinion.

revolution wrote:
I am interacting through this board.
You can paraphrase my words. But you cannot deny the fact that you are interacting with the forum members AND your attributes are important to them, not to the board.

revolution wrote:
How would you treat me differently if you knew my gender?
If we knew your true gender upfront, this thread would not even exist. Its existence proves beyond any reasonable doubt that the forum members are eager to find out your true gender because it matters to them.

revolution wrote:
And neither of these things require you to know the persons gender.
We do know TG's gender. If you reveal your true gender to us, we can better understand your ways of thought. You cannot deny the fact that men and women think differently. Refer to the following articles:

http://www.livescience.com/3808-men-women-differently.html

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/tech/social/Facebook-confirms-men-and-women-think-differently/articleshow/52444557.cms

Wink
Post 04 Aug 2016, 07:25
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Tomasz Grysztar
Assembly Artist


Joined: 16 Jun 2003
Posts: 7724
Location: Kraków, Poland
Tomasz Grysztar
YONG wrote:
We do know TG's gender.
You may consider this nitpicking, but I'd say you only know my assigned-at-birth sex. I don't think you can infer that much about my gender just from reading the forums.
Post 04 Aug 2016, 07:53
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
revolution
When all else fails, read the source


Joined: 24 Aug 2004
Posts: 17279
Location: In your JS exploiting you and your system
revolution
YONG wrote:
revolution wrote:
How would you treat me differently if you knew my gender?
If we knew your true gender upfront, this thread would not even exist. Its existence proves beyond any reasonable doubt that the forum members are eager to find out your true gender because it matters to them.
You didn't answer the question.
Post 04 Aug 2016, 08:19
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
YONG



Joined: 16 Mar 2005
Posts: 8000
Location: 22° 15' N | 114° 10' E
YONG
Tomasz Grysztar wrote:
YONG wrote:
We do know TG's gender.
You may consider this nitpicking, but I'd say you only know my assigned-at-birth sex. I don't think you can infer that much about my gender just from reading the forums.
You did tell me something "private" about you in a p.m. quite some time ago. Perhaps you have already forgot it. Anyway.

BTW, I wonder why you would reply to this but not to the posts that are more relevant to the board:

http://board.flatassembler.net/topic.php?t=19244

http://board.flatassembler.net/topic.php?t=19228

Wink
Post 04 Aug 2016, 08:53
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
YONG



Joined: 16 Mar 2005
Posts: 8000
Location: 22° 15' N | 114° 10' E
YONG
revolution wrote:
You didn't answer the question.
I did! You just did not pay attention to it:
YONG wrote:
If you reveal your true gender to us, we can better understand your ways of thought.
That would greatly facilitate our interactions with you. Understand?

Wink
Post 04 Aug 2016, 08:56
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
revolution
When all else fails, read the source


Joined: 24 Aug 2004
Posts: 17279
Location: In your JS exploiting you and your system
revolution
YONG wrote:
revolution wrote:
You didn't answer the question.
I did! You just did not pay attention to it:
YONG wrote:
If you reveal your true gender to us, we can better understand your ways of thought.
That would greatly facilitate our interactions with you. Understand?
Please give me an example of how it would "facilitate our interactions". What would change in how you and others respond? Would the code I post suddenly work better (or worse)? Would my attempts to help people suddenly become more useful (or less useful (assuming it has at least some value))?
Post 04 Aug 2016, 09:00
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Tomasz Grysztar
Assembly Artist


Joined: 16 Jun 2003
Posts: 7724
Location: Kraków, Poland
Tomasz Grysztar
YONG wrote:
You did tell me something "private" about you in a p.m. quite some time ago.
I think it was on a different axis.

YONG wrote:
BTW, I wonder why you would reply to this but not to the posts that are more relevant to the board:

http://board.flatassembler.net/topic.php?t=19244

http://board.flatassembler.net/topic.php?t=19228

Wink
I'm not in a mood to dig into PHP again. Perhaps some other month. Or year.
Post 04 Aug 2016, 09:01
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
YONG



Joined: 16 Mar 2005
Posts: 8000
Location: 22° 15' N | 114° 10' E
YONG
Tomasz Grysztar wrote:
I'm not in a mood to dig into PHP again. Perhaps some other month. Or year.
Thanks. At least I got a reply from you!

Wink
Post 04 Aug 2016, 09:30
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
YONG



Joined: 16 Mar 2005
Posts: 8000
Location: 22° 15' N | 114° 10' E
YONG
revolution wrote:
Please give me an example of how it would "facilitate our interactions".
Refer to the second point.

revolution wrote:
What would change in how you and others respond?
I cannot answer for the other forum members. For me, I would take into account your gender when answering/responding to your posts. My choice of words may be different. But the most important thing is that I need not write like this any more: "he/she", "his/her", "him/her", "son/daughter", so on and so forth! So, it would save me a great deal of time!!!

revolution wrote:
Would the code I post suddenly work better (or worse)? Would my attempts to help people suddenly become more useful (or less useful (assuming it has at least some value))?
Ask yourself. I cannot answer that for you.

Wink
Post 04 Aug 2016, 09:38
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
revolution
When all else fails, read the source


Joined: 24 Aug 2004
Posts: 17279
Location: In your JS exploiting you and your system
revolution
YONG wrote:
For me, I would take into account your gender when answering/responding to your posts. My choice of words may be different. But the most important thing is that I need not write like this any more: "he/she", "his/her", "him/her", "son/daughter", so on and so forth! So, it would save me a great deal of time!!!
So it all boils down to the choice of pronouns? In that case just use "it". I won't get offended, or care, as long as it makes you happy to type fewer keystrokes. Smile
Post 04 Aug 2016, 11:21
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
YONG



Joined: 16 Mar 2005
Posts: 8000
Location: 22° 15' N | 114° 10' E
YONG
revolution wrote:
So it all boils down to the choice of pronouns?
Neither "son" nor "daughter" is a pronoun. And I can't use "it" to replace such nouns.

Some forum members are hard to serve! Confused

Wink
Post 04 Aug 2016, 12:22
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:
Post new topic Reply to topic

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules:
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Copyright © 1999-2020, Tomasz Grysztar.

Powered by rwasa.