flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Intel popping a new CPU and I'm coming to Prague...again :P

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Madis731

Madis731
http://www.intel.com/technology/atom/index.htm?iid=homepage+marquee_bottlecap
Well, that's pretty much it. There a new 45nm CPU with 0.5-2.5W thermal design and just some 30mW idle power consumption. Like a normal x86-64 architecture, but its more "length" than "width". It was already announced like the 2nd March or sth, but I didn't hear about it before my friend starting telling me about atoms yesterday (actually he meant the Intel Atom CPU).

In other news ... I will be going/coming to USA (I don't think I need a separate Heap-topic for this Razz). The USA trip is fully-planned, but I will be visiting Prague for the whole day on 20th March. This is because of the flight-plans. Looking for something to do there. I will be leaving tomorrow.

Anyone on the board from Florida...Orlando...Miami Smile ?

I hope someone from Czechoslovakia could point out some places not to miss because I have been in Prague and Czechoslovakia in general many times, but maybe I haven't visited the key tourist attractions. OTOH maybe counter-tourist-attraction-sights are the best Smile

I will be holding a blog-like picture gallery here but I don't know about the upload facilities in our villa so maybe its not possible. I will try to update this post.

Specific dates 11th March - 20th March 2008

Madis

Last edited by Madis731 on 10 Mar 2008, 09:33; edited 2 times in total
Post 10 Mar 2008, 09:18
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
I'll be in Orlando in end-July till first week August, will you still be there at that time?
Post 10 Mar 2008, 09:22
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Madis731

Madis731
revolution wrote:
I'll be in Orlando in end-July till first week August, will you still be there at that time?

Sorry, no...

Post 10 Mar 2008, 09:34
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
tom tobias

tom tobias
Thanks for the link to Intel's new cpu--Is the purpose of your trip related in some way to this introduction?
Visitors to Florida in March of any year experience the largest crowds, the highest prices, and the most congestion of any month of the year. The period from May to October represents the best time to visit Florida, due to much lower prices, and vacancies everywhere, with half the traffic one encounters in March.
When you write that your trip is planned, do you mean that you already have hotel reservations, or would you also need a place to stay?
Will you be a participant in any conference?
Are Orlando and Miami planned destinations, or simply cities with large airports? Prague: great music, wonderful atomosphere, terrific beer, but, I confess, having seen the much smaller Brno, I prefer it to the more famous capital.....Maybe I am just a small sort of person...
Smile
Post 10 Mar 2008, 12:54
Madis731

Madis731
tom tobias wrote:
Thanks for the link to Intel's new cpu--Is the purpose of your trip related in some way to this introduction?

Unfortunately, no Sad but I'm still gonna have fun Very Happy

tom tobias wrote:

Visitors to Florida in March of any year experience the largest crowds, the highest prices, and the most congestion of any month of the year. The period from May to October represents the best time to visit Florida, due to much lower prices, and vacancies everywhere, with half the traffic one encounters in March.

Too bad I didn't contact you earlier, but some people have their school holidays and others have vacations planned already. Next time I know then Smile
tom tobias wrote:

When you write that your trip is planned, do you mean that you already have hotel reservations, or would you also need a place to stay?
Will you be a participant in any conference?
Are Orlando and Miami planned destinations, or simply cities with large airports? Prague: great music, wonderful atomosphere, terrific beer, but, I confess, having seen the much smaller Brno, I prefer it to the more famous capital.....Maybe I am just a small sort of person...
Smile

Yeah, I liked Brno too, but I think the flight wouldn't fit in our schedule. We'd spend the time in Prague I think.

Post 10 Mar 2008, 13:20
MazeGen

MazeGen
Madis731 wrote:

I hope someone from Czechoslovakia could point out some places not to miss because I have been in Prague and Czechoslovakia in general many times, but maybe I haven't visited the key tourist attractions. OTOH maybe counter-tourist-attraction-sights are the best Smile

Since I'm the only member from Czech at this board, I try to answer Smile

If I'd go to Prague as a tourist, I couldn't miss the Old Town Square and the Charles Bridge. These are the most known ones so you already know them perhaps. Another places would be Petřín lookout tower and the Dancing House. And if I would have more time, I would go to the Lesser Side, a part of the town with real genius loci.

Looking forward to your gallery! Smile

tom tobias wrote:
I confess, having seen the much smaller Brno, I prefer it to the more famous capital.....Maybe I am just a small sort of person...
Smile

It might be because of the fact that we all had fun together here Wink
Post 10 Mar 2008, 15:30
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Madis731

Madis731
Razz I hope 8GB+2GB Extreme IV cards are enough!?
Post 10 Mar 2008, 20:14
f0dder

f0dder
Intel's ATOM CPU sounds pretty interesting - I bet they're going for ARM's throat with it, considering it's low power consumption? "Yeah, it's fast enough, it's small, you can use your standard x86 tools"... wonder how cheap it's going to be, and whether normal people can buy it (or if you have to get 1000x at a time and be an OEM) - would be pretty interesting for home-made linux routers etc.

Article says "full compatibility with core CPUs", but does that necessarily mean 64-bit support as well?
Post 11 Mar 2008, 00:59
r22

r22
I wonder if Intel will be selling Atoms in moles? Although I doubt even Intel has that kind of production capacity Razz

Quote:
Article says "full compatibility with core CPUs", but does that necessarily mean 64-bit support as well?

Will it have x87 and SSE? If I were intel I'd start deprecating the x87 instructions with this and just have SIMD. It would be a good place to kill Real10 and those lousy opcodes in the consumer market, but then again they'd lose software compatibility.
Post 11 Mar 2008, 15:15
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
revolution

revolution
x87 has sin/cos/etc. people will complain terribly if they are lost.
Post 11 Mar 2008, 15:23
f0dder

f0dder
revolution: those functions can be approximated with SSE, though, and... are they needed much for the CPU target audience anyway?
Post 11 Mar 2008, 15:40
revolution

revolution
f0dder wrote:
revolution: those functions can be approximated with SSE, though, and... are they needed much for the CPU target audience anyway?
Approximated yeah, but the FPU gives really nice accurate results.

As for the target audience, I have no idea, but I expect that Intel will remove the x87 at their peril. There is just too much legacy code around.
Post 11 Mar 2008, 15:43
f0dder

f0dder
You can get pretty accurate approximations pretty fast, though... dunno how it compares speedwise if you want the same precision, though. But if intel removes x87 at some point, they might add transcendental SSEx instructions? Smile
Post 11 Mar 2008, 15:53
bitRAKE

bitRAKE
I'll be in the market for another laptop when it comes with a multi-core Atom or Tera-scale chip. Very Happy

http://youtube.com/watch?v=DkFlwKSzHms

Post 11 Mar 2008, 17:03
edfed

edfed
i'm pretty sure of one thing. i can write this because it is not a secret. the IA arch will be the center of all the AI development and research.
using one tera_scale core for a 2D to 3D convertion from camera, sensor, etc.. then, a one other for the control of a real engine, like a car, a bomb, a space ship, etc.
and it will replace the drivers in the cars, connecting in real time via a network, and bluetooth, infrared, etc... then, the cars will be fast, precise, and safe.

it is an application for this hardware.
but it will be on th emarket in a long time, to be sure of the technology, then, there will be a full of work in AI programming for intel.
Post 11 Mar 2008, 18:15
r22

r22
re: edfed
Agreed, read something similar on slashdot or digg not too long ago. The military already has working AI for vehicles, adapted from those contests a few years back with the teams building drive themselves cars.

In 10-20 years the military tech will be mainstream and we can all enjoy it.

re: revolution & f0dder

Using SSE/2 you can use a Taylor series to get very accurate single and double precision values for trig functions. Because you can parallelize the Taylor series you don't even take a hit (* or that big a hit *) in execution speed.
Post 11 Mar 2008, 18:59
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
f0dder

f0dder
r22 wrote:
Using SSE/2 you can use a Taylor series to get very accurate single and double precision values for trig functions. Because you can parallelize the Taylor series you don't even take a hit (* or that big a hit *) in execution speed.

Yep, and you don't need that many Taylor iterations to get decent precision - but again, I do wonder how the methods compare speedwise to get approximately the same precision.

And sure, parralelization is a big advantage of SSE code, but you aren't always working on SIMDable data, in which case it does suck a bit not having "simple" transcendental instructions Smile
Post 12 Mar 2008, 00:38
edfed

edfed
a good thing intel can do is to propose an implementation of the atom with an adapter for old PC sockets ( P1MMX. P3, P4, Celeron, Centrino, etc...).
as we don't need a big ventirad, it can be ok.and we don't have to buy an other machine.
If ram is directlly into the chip (1GB or more), how can it work with the RAM on the motherboard? will need a special chipset or can be used with old chipsets?
Post 12 Mar 2008, 00:50
bitRAKE

bitRAKE
Although I like the image of a tiny rack of chips (plenty of power) sitting on some type of socket adaptor; the problem with adapting new hardware into old motherboards is keeping the chip fed with data. It's great when executing from the cache on chip, but as soon as data need to be sent across the bus the new CPU is just waiting. Like adapting a SATA drive to work on a MFM controller - sure it could be done, but the same resources would be better spent elsewhere.

New processors have a hard enough time as it is.

Post 12 Mar 2008, 01:06
edfed

edfed
pio operations can be performed in a virtual task, created internally by the processor, to wait for end of PIO. during this time, the user program can continue the main loop without the datas or with invalid datas, it's up to the programmer to wait for complete operation before to execute the end of caller procedure.

set "read from primary slave with PIO" in an irq subvetor.
cmp [datacomplete?],0
je yes
no, then continue the program without datas.
Post 12 Mar 2008, 01:16

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: