flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Feedback > Moderators needed: Mr. HELL ???

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Following person should become moderator
Mr. HELL, of course
17%
 17%  [ 3 ]
Madis731
17%
 17%  [ 3 ]
Xorpd!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
bitRAKE
17%
 17%  [ 3 ]
Other, please post
17%
 17%  [ 3 ]
NO need for moderators
29%
 29%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 17

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
edfed wrote:
... can moderate, or ban ...
Cannot ban, see the FAQ, only the administrator can ban. So even you do get your wish to be a mod you still can't ban your **$ù$^*ù friend.
Post 11 Mar 2008, 15:47
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DOS386

DOS386
MazeGen wrote:

> vid is here daily, but he's got a problem with his internet connection a few weeks ago so he's online only a couple hours a day now.

OOPS ... forgot MazeGen as candidate. Voting for him Smile
Post 12 Mar 2008, 01:17
MazeGen

MazeGen
DOS386 wrote:
OOPS ... forgot MazeGen as candidate. Voting for him Smile

Well, I'm tired of fighting with spammers on our own board and therefore I visit only a couple of topics per day here. So, I wouldn't be much of help.
Post 12 Mar 2008, 08:20
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
revolution

revolution
MazeGen wrote:
Well, I'm tired of fighting with spammers on our own board and therefore I visit only a couple of topics per day here. So, I wouldn't be much of help.
I didn't know you had a board.

But I wonder if you are really fighting the actual spammers or you just end up fighting their robots.

Hehe, can you prove you are human. Wink
Post 12 Mar 2008, 08:29
sinsi

sinsi
MazeGen wrote:
So, I wouldn't be much of help.

Perfect Smile

Or revolution or vid (or even DOS386, he's a smart bugger as well...)
Post 12 Mar 2008, 08:38
MazeGen

MazeGen
revolution wrote:
I didn't know you had a board.

http://board.x86asm.net

revolution wrote:
But I wonder if you are really fighting the actual spammers or you just end up fighting their robots.

Yeah, robots. The board is bombarded. They can't post anymore, but keep pre-registering (see memberlist - I actually don't know why the board software let them appear here because their registration is not finished). And with phpBB 2.0, deleting members is sooo painful process that I must upgrade to 3.0 to get more comfortable administration.

revolution wrote:
Hehe, can you prove you are human. Wink

Well, several members of this board met me personally, so I can't pretend that I'm a robot anymore Smile

sinsi, not sure if you got it right, vid is already a moderator and I meant I'm not gonna become one.
Post 12 Mar 2008, 14:46
edfed

edfed
mazegen, my poor!!! what are all these users? they all have a site, they all have a strange name, and they don't post anything. is it that a robot?
Post 12 Mar 2008, 15:11
MazeGen

MazeGen
Yeah, they are robots which can read phpBB's CAPTCHA. They don't post because their registrations are not finished - I broke up the standard way of account activation so it doesn't work for robots anymore.

And they add those strange sites probably because they need backlinks. The more backlinks link to your site, the better position on google (yahoo...) search.

BTW, this board uses the same forum software. Only the admin (Tomasz) can delete users. Now I wonder why local memberlist doesn't look the same - I don't believe that Tomasz deletes those robots daily...
Post 12 Mar 2008, 16:21
revolution

revolution
MazeGen wrote:
... they are robots which can read phpBB's CAPTCHA.
You should make an assembly CAPTCHA. Show an image of something simple like maybe "mov reg,0xvalue" and then ask "what is the value of reg after the instruction is executed?". Since it will (hopefully) be unique the spammers won't bother to write a special CAPTCHA reader just for your site. Could be a good project: "fasm unspammable CAPTCHA koder", the only problem is the acronym is not nice. Very Happy
Post 12 Mar 2008, 16:35
MazeGen

MazeGen
Good idea, and something like "what is the result of 3+4?" would work as well, because the robots doesn't expect such a question and nobody is going to break this particular board. However, I'm PHP newbie so it is difficult for me to patch the software.

Anyway, I'm gonna upgrade to phpBB 3.0 now and I hope they improved it. All what I actually need is to delete multiple users in a few clicks.
Post 12 Mar 2008, 17:30
DOS386

DOS386
> http://board.x86asm.net/

Oh yeah Very Happy

> (see memberlist - I actually don't know why the board software let
> them appear here because their registration is not finished).

Known BUG Sad

> And with phpBB 2.0, deleting members is sooo painful process that
> I must upgrade to 3.0 to get more comfortable administration.

phpBB 3.0 is ugly and didn't work for me (as forum "member", not admin) ...

> upgrade to phpBB 3.0 now and I hope they improved it.
> All what I actually need is to delete multiple users in a few clicks.

IMHO following would be needed:

- Better CAP-TCHA
- Don't display unvalidated registrations and blocked posts
- Allow to display "poster's website" after a given amount of posts and a time elapsed
- Auto-delete unvalidated registrations and inactive accounts (expiry time of few days)
- Set up a validation time (for example 8 to 24 hours after pre-registering) - this will make existing spamvirii fail Very Happy
- For new users, disallow links and allow 3 posts only, remove restrictions after those 3 posts are "approved" by a moderator
- Fast and easy multi-ban Idea

Quote:
why local memberlist doesn't look the same - I don't believe that Tomasz deletes those robots daily...

Most likely because Tomasz barred out his forum from Google ... but the price is that people interested in ASM and Goooogling will find MASM instead Sad
Post 13 Mar 2008, 01:13
MazeGen

MazeGen
DOS386 wrote:

phpBB 3.0 is ugly and didn't work for me (as forum "member", not admin) ...

I dislike the default theme, but this can be solved. What I really dislike is its complexity, in contrast to phpBB2. It looks too complicated.

DOS386 wrote:

IMHO following would be needed:

I *hope* that many things regarding administration were improved.

DOS386 wrote:

Quote:
why local memberlist doesn't look the same - I don't believe that Tomasz deletes those robots daily...

Most likely because Tomasz barred out his forum from Google ... but the price is that people interested in ASM and Goooogling will find MASM instead Sad

Yes, it might be, and yes, it is bad not to be found on google :-(
Post 13 Mar 2008, 16:36
AlexP

AlexP
I do believe I should be moderator around here... Smile.
Post 23 Mar 2008, 23:53
sinsi

sinsi
DOS386 wrote:

They usually want homework help anyway... Sad
Post 24 Mar 2008, 03:15
AlexP

AlexP
ASM homework?, what school teaches actual computer programming? Smile. Our school teaches QBASIC to 16 & 17 year olds, I'm in the C++ class for idiots (highest prog. class in school!), and I am constantly getting yelled at by my teacher for pulling a:
Code:
void main()
{
; screw this!
_asm:
; < then put everything in asm >
}

Post 24 Mar 2008, 03:46
edfed

edfed
frankly, when i was at school, i never followed th main flow.

the teacher wanted a mastermaind in labview, i made it with QB.
the teacher wanted a code in graphset, i made it in asm.
etc....

if i return to school, and the teacher demand some C or java coding, guess what i'll code...
pure asm. only, and if it's not productive, it's because we are not in a steel factory.
Post 24 Mar 2008, 12:25
f0dder

f0dder
AlexP: and you should be yelled at by your teacher for that, since you're in a C++ class... just like an employer would yell at you, or a client would stop paying you.

If you're taking a C++ class, the idea is to learn C++. If you want to do asm programming, take an asm class.
Post 24 Mar 2008, 13:36
AlexP

AlexP
But f0dder <pleading, sarcastic voice>, I already know more than we will cover in that class about C++, and when I feel like taking the oportunity to I actually use that garbage language! (sry if I offended anybody, I just don't believe in 2,014 different included files that look like a retarded,deaf,blind,and dumb Chinese man tried to spell his name right all over the page).
Post 24 Mar 2008, 14:39
revolution

revolution
AlexP wrote:
... [C++ =] 2,014 different included files that look like a retarded,deaf,blind,and dumb Chinese man tried to spell his name right all over the page).
An interesting analogy. Confused
Post 24 Mar 2008, 14:42
f0dder

f0dder
AlexP: if you already know the language, do the assignments like you're supposed to do, and score decent grades... being against the world and always insisting on being a non-conformist doesn't get you very far in the real world Smile

As for garbage language, that's a silly statement. You might not like it (probably because you don't understand the language properly?), but calling it garbage is silly.
Post 24 Mar 2008, 14:52

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: