flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Weird Sounds

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
asmhack

asmhack
When i have my stereo headphones inputed to the pc with the volume control and line in volume at the maximum without any music-sound playing, i can hear some weird sounds randomly or when for example moving the mouse pointer over the screen or scrolling a page.. i don't think that the cause is the electromagnetic waves from the screen integrating with the cable because that is happening even with the monitor closed.. i think it is the cpu/sound card because i can not hear the weird sounds when the system is idle.. Image
Post 03 Mar 2008, 00:00
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
Nah, it is just a noisy power supply to the amplifier chip. The PC motherboards are not exactly audiophile material.

One thing you might like to play with is running different length program loops and listen for the change in the noise patterns.
Post 03 Mar 2008, 00:44
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
asmhack

asmhack
heh, thanks for the info revo Smile
Post 03 Mar 2008, 01:03
edfed

edfed
not only power supply problems.

the audio DAC reference voltage is sensitive to electromagnetic perturbations from mother board.

the higher and faster are the edges, the more parasit we meet, because of the elctromagnetic waves around wires. then the reference voltage, used to convert digital in analog values is affected.

instant current, named I, it is basically composed of edges in a digital equipment, then, the radiations are proportional to the quatity of electrons that migrate at an instant.

a good exemple is to make VCO, with an independant power supply, put it into the tower, and plug it to the amplifier, you'll hear exactlly the same sounds.

this have no repercusions on a screen because the screen possess a differential system to communicates the right pixel values, but for audio, it's a bit different.

mobile phones emit the same radiations as a µP, the faster is the µP, the more you lose in internal audio quality...
Post 03 Mar 2008, 01:07
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: