flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > What internet browser do you use? And why?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Madis731

Madis731
Actually, I don't use any of these on Seamonkey.
1) Ads? I've just taught it about not showing me images from some sites and popups are blocked.
2) Download statusbar? I never liked the FF one - in SM its really neat and comfortable to use.
3) If you mean about:plugins then I don't need this
4) Fasterfox 2.0.0 Very HappyVery HappyVery HappyVery HappyVery Happy - okay, I did the tweaks manually in about:config to be really honest Very Happy
5) Firebug... I've got Error Console, Java Console, DOM Inspector, JS Debugger
6) FlashGot is something that is rarely needed when communication nowdays is stable and fast. I can't recall any event where I had to redownload somethin
7) Its All Text - I edit in my favourite editor anyway Smile
Cool Mouseless browsing - I don't need plugins to do that. Its all implemented in Seamonkey
9) Plain Text to Link - On selection Ctrl+C Ctrl+T Ctrl+V and Enter Smile
You'll get used to it!
10) Scrapbook is something I considered a while ago, but I've managed to learn to use bookmarks relatively fast.
11) Screengrab - PrintScr anyone?
12) Tab Control - No way you can do anything more with this plugin that you can't with FF, SM, Opera, or even IE
13) Talkback - implemented (but not installed - I submit to Bugzilla manually later)
14) Tamper Data - That is one thing I WANT to look at! Sounds useful.

Did you know that FF has Typeahead find implemented, but disabled by default? You actually don't need Ctrl+F EVER again...
Post 15 Feb 2008, 07:25
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
f0dder

f0dder
demiourgos: can Opera do pipelined HTTP requests? And just how effective is the ad blocker?

Been a while since I used Opera, it just never felt right for me. FireFox has extensions, that's really something Opera misses.
Post 15 Feb 2008, 12:48
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine
[quote="f0dder"]
drhowarddrfine wrote:
It loads slower because it's not built in to the OS like IE is.
Bullshit, bullshit, bullshit and bullshit - we've been at this before Smile. If it loaded slower for the reason you mention, second-time launches would be fast (because all files are cached).[quote]What caches the files? Are you saying Windows caches Firefox's startup executables?
Quote:

But, as rugxulo's link shows, at least the firefox devs acknowledge this problem and are doing something to fix it.
There's a difference between "improving" start up times and "fixing" them but I don't see anything in those links about either.
Quote:

I might be anal, but browser launch speed does matter to me, even if I do spend most of the time in the browser (where things are fast enough with FF2, even if it doesn't have the fastest rendering speed).
I would argue with you about FF rendering speed, too, but I don't feel like searching for the page that shows how fast it is. It's definitely not slow.
Post 15 Feb 2008, 13:26
drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine
Madis,
You would probably prefer LiveHTTPHeaders over TamperData.
Post 15 Feb 2008, 13:28
wisepenguin

wisepenguin
IE6 is good enough for my basic needs on XP (XP64 too),
and i like that i can set the security options differently for trusted sites.

so i disable almost everything for normal sites, and enable things
like scripting for trusted sites like webmail/amazon whatever.
Post 15 Feb 2008, 13:37
f0dder

f0dder
Madis731: haven't tried Seamonkey, so I don't know how it does specifically, but...

#1: ads aren't just images, it can be flash (and since several sites I use require flash, I don't turn it off), it can be textual ads (google, whatever), et cetera. Adblock rips out the ads and thus also makes sure external sites aren't contacted, resulting in faster-loading pages.

#2: I disilke FF's standard statusbar, which is why I use that extension Smile

#3: on FF, about:plugins only show plugins, not extensions. The extension list I posted was generated with that plugin, and convertd from HTML to BBCode with some simple regex.

#4: I'm too lazy to do about:config manually Wink

#5: *shrug*, I find firebug nifty.

#6: I rarely need to re-download, but for http/ftp downloads I usually use a download manager, otherwise I go nowhere near my full 20mbit speed potential Smile

#7: so do I, which is why I use It's All Text... it's a bit nicer to use than copy-paste.

#8: again, I don't know how Seamonkey does it, but with mouselessbrowsing, I hit '0' on the numpad which shows a number next to each link, then I can hit Ctrl or Alt and type the number, which then opens that link (Ctrl) or in a new window (Alt). Very nifty, instead of hitting TAB a zillion times.

#9: too annoying when you view forums where idiots insist on hxxp:// instead of http:// , or you're viewing plain text files in the browser, and you often follow links.

#10: you can't compare bookmarks and scrapbook - bookmarks won't save you if the website or the page disappears. This has happened to me in the past, which is why I use scrapbook for some pages. And no, internet archive doesn't always work very well.

#11: PrintScr only captures what's visible, screengrab can render the entire page to a png... but perhaps you prefer stitching together screengrabs? Wink

#12: it's been a while since I installed tab control, so what it does might have been implemented into core FF. But when I installed it, I needed it to be able to drag-reposition tabs, control where new tabs open etc.

#13: standard FF plugin, forgot to cut it out Smile

#14: very useful indeed. Perhaps I should take a look at LiveHTTPHeaders that drhoward recommends, but TamperData does what I need, and does it pretty well.

Madis731 wrote:
Did you know that FF has Typeahead find implemented, but disabled by default? You actually don't need Ctrl+F EVER again...
Yep, but I prefer ctrl+f to invoke it. I've had some times where focus was elsewhere than I thought, and thus auto-find got me even farther from where I thought focus was Smile

drhowarddrfine wrote:
What caches the files? Are you saying Windows caches Firefox's startup executables?
Yes, of course - every modern OS does filesystem caching Smile. And it's not just executables by the way, fs caching is for all files, obviously.

drhowarddrfine wrote:
There's a difference between "improving" start up times and "fixing" them but I don't see anything in those links about either.

Sorry, link was elsewhere. I'm pretty sure there was a more recent story about it too, also mentioning their move to FreeBSD's new jemalloc.
Post 15 Feb 2008, 14:00
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine
I use Scrapbook too. Pretty heavily. Any page I visit that I might be interested in goes in there automatically. Then I look at it when I feel like without having to worry about internet or that the page goes away before I get to it.
Post 15 Feb 2008, 18:31
drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine
btw, Firebug is THE debugger used by everyone I know.
Post 15 Feb 2008, 18:32
f0dder

f0dder
drhowarddrfine wrote:
btw, Firebug is THE debugger used by everyone I know.

It's pretty darn fine indeed - and I only have simple needs for it Smile

Btw, why do you recommend LiveHTTPHeaders over TamperData? And can FF3 (beta) coexist peacefully with FF2 on one system?

Post 16 Feb 2008, 00:37
drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine
f0dder wrote:

Btw, why do you recommend LiveHTTPHeaders over TamperData?
It's been a while and I don't remember. More information, clearable? I have the choice of remembering things and a fine cognac.
Quote:
And can FF3 (beta) coexist peacefully with FF2 on one system?
I read people are doing it and I don't know why not. But I have the choice of remembering things and a fine cognac.
Post 16 Feb 2008, 02:25
DOS386

DOS386

Arachne Laughing

More screenshots: http://www.unet.univie.ac.at/~a0503736/php/drdoswiki/index.php?n=Main.GallBrowsers

But let's await the time when FBROWSER is better, than
I can throw away Arachne Idea

Last edited by DOS386 on 02 May 2008, 04:13; edited 1 time in total
Post 20 Feb 2008, 01:37
edfed

edfed
i hope
i really hope...
Post 20 Feb 2008, 01:57
Picnic

Picnic
I'm using Mozilla Firefox about 2 years now, i like it, i agree that it's a 'heavy' browser.
I might try Opera after reading this topic, but not today Smile
Post 20 Feb 2008, 17:56
drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine
Safari is cool, too. But Apple all around is just cool.
Post 20 Feb 2008, 23:46
f0dder

f0dder
drhowarddrfine wrote:
Safari is cool, too. But Apple all around is just cool.
Apple all-round cool? Shocked Shocked Shocked Confused

Post 21 Feb 2008, 15:17
drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine
Apple is far, far cooler than Microsoft. Especially their commercials. And their web site front page is top notch.
Post 21 Feb 2008, 18:54
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
IE 8 Found To Be Safest Web Browser In Studies Funded by Microsoft

True or not? Should we all be using IE8 (The Safest Web Browser) now?

Wink
Post 23 Aug 2009, 02:35
drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine
1) The study is about protection against phishing and nothing else.
2) Microsoft paid for the report. You have every right to be suspcious of the report.

Always remember this: IE8 is 11 years behind all other browsers in modern standards and practices. Microsoft's IEBlog has shown some of what they would like to see in IE9. It's a "wish list" of several items that have been available on all other browsers for several years. In the meantime, those other browsers have been constantly moving forward.
Post 23 Aug 2009, 12:21

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: