flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > What internet browser do you use? And why?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
edfed

edfed
i don't know why, but i know that it's true, i've tested all that i say few hours ago.
nowadays, 98 accept only IE 6 whitout big disfunctionments.

and i don't claim opera is bad, i'm the first decepted by the problem, i'm forced to use this shit of IE, with this shit of hidden folder "temporary internet files\content.ie5"
this fuckin folder is not hidden, but invisible from normal exploration, and is full of spy datas. lasty time i clean it, it was 11000 files, 23 folders, 430Mb of history of my PC life.

the day opera or else is really performant, no slow down of boot, touchpad scroll, etc.. i'll install it and definitivelly kick off IE
Post 04 Feb 2008, 21:11
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
rugxulo

rugxulo
I've been using Opera for months now, and I quite like it. Yeah, Firefox is still good (and I use it sometimes). IE7 I never use (but had pre-installed), and I hear IE8 is much more standards compliant. I also have OffByOne, but only for kicks. Wink

P.S. There's also Safari for Windows, but I didn't install that because four browsers should be enough. Very Happy
Post 04 Feb 2008, 23:47
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine
rugxulo wrote:
I hear IE8 is much more standards compliant.[/url]
IE8 will be more standards compliant but how much more is unknown. Though they show they can render the Acid2 smiley face on an internal build (using a modified version of the real online test), passing Acid2 doesn't give any guarantee of complying with any standards.
Quote:
I didn't install that because four browsers should be enough. Very Happy
Heh. As a web developer, I have Firefox, Opera, Safari, IE6/7/8, Netscape and I think I'm forgetting one. Usually everything I write and test works in all browsers (with IE the only one needing fixing) but I'm always worried about that one time when something unusual creeps in.

Last edited by drhowarddrfine on 05 Feb 2008, 01:07; edited 1 time in total
Post 05 Feb 2008, 01:04
drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine
Quote:
The Off By One Web Browser may be the world's smallest and fastest web browser with full HTML 3.2 support.
3.2?! We've been on 4.01 since the end of 1999 and they're working on HTML5 now!
Post 05 Feb 2008, 01:07
rugxulo

rugxulo
drhowarddrfine wrote:
Quote:
The Off By One Web Browser may be the world's smallest and fastest web browser with full HTML 3.2 support.
3.2?! We've been on 4.01 since the end of 1999 and they're working on HTML5 now!

Yeah, I knew somebody'd complain. Razz And some people still use Perl 5.005, PHP 4, and Python 1.52. So what? If it works, it works. Laughing
Post 05 Feb 2008, 04:20
bitRAKE

bitRAKE
Been using IE7 for a while now. I really like IE since the tab browsing was added:

Description:
Filesize: 56.37 KB
Viewed: 3657 Time(s)

IE7-bar.png

Post 05 Feb 2008, 05:16
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
i change my opera new tab to Ctrl + N, couldn't stand the Ctrl + T.
and to set focus on opera address bar, i change it to Alt + D, the default F8 is weird.

and to paste and go, i use Ctrl + D, instead of Ctrl + B
i only use IE when i visit bank website to do online transaction, i wanna use opera but online bank doesn't seem to support.
Post 05 Feb 2008, 16:53
drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine
Firefox has an add-on called IETab that allows you to run FF as IE with the click of a button in situations such as that.
Post 05 Feb 2008, 18:51
demiourgos

demiourgos
Opera definately!

IE has been always a scum.
Firefox is lame in fact.. extremely heavy! Thus useless.

And Opera has been always the best browser (for Win32 at least): the fastest, lightest, always compliant with any web-standart being there in use.
The only vice of Opera is that its not open-source (and, as i reckon, will never be). It has everything one may need for an easy and productive surfing.

P.S. Here's a very minimalistic skin for Opera. [scr 1152x864]

Description: Opera minimalistic skin
Download
Filename: plain_gray_wrapper_iii-2_0.zip
Filesize: 217.81 KB
Downloaded: 62 Time(s)

Post 10 Feb 2008, 03:48
edfed

edfed
yes, but...
with win98, it bugs a lot.
i've tested it on my two machines, the principal had this only 1 hour
and the second, i've tested it one week, it's buggy on win98, so it cannot be used seriouslly on this system.
sorry.
Post 10 Feb 2008, 04:15
demiourgos

demiourgos
A PC can't be used seriously with Win9x. Laughing
Try setting the fixed value of memory useage in Opera preferences. Besides you havn't told what system you have. As for my experience you say non-sense. It has been always IE that was crashing, no matter what system it was, not Opera. (Though its true it may crash on a very rare occasion, but only when you'd open something about 50 or more web-pages at a time with heavy scripts and tons of grafics; and still, even then its the matter of memory the system has!).

A browser without tabs can't be used seriously for surfing either. Rolling Eyes Not speaking about the fact that Opera's GUI is fully customisable; and skin has nothing to do with that. Smile

But those are triffles compared to the speed, stability and light resource usage Opera gives.
A funny fact, btw, those .mht files are always smaller when saved by Opera.

P.S. I've been using Opera for nine years now. Wink
P.S.S. And having, btw, been continuing to compare it from time to time with competing browsers.
Post 10 Feb 2008, 13:41
f0dder

f0dder
FireFox, because of the extensions, and because it's less malware targetted (and perhaps also more secure) than IE. I don't have much love for Opera, since it doesn't have extension, and tends to crash every now and then. Yep, FireFox is a slow pig, and that sucks.

I keep IE6 for those very few sites that require it. Don't feel like upgrading to IE7, it's tabs are horribly slow. But I guess it doesn't matter that much when I almost don't use it.
Post 10 Feb 2008, 14:35
drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine
Post 10 Feb 2008, 19:42
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
Unfortunately the figures there give no indication of relative usage. Anyone could write their own browser, not publish it, then claim after some amount of time that it had no vulnerabilities. It's like trying to say we should all drive F1 cars everywhere at 200mph, since very few people have died driving one, therefore they are the safest cars in the world.
Post 10 Feb 2008, 22:25
drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine
Usage has nothing to do with it. A listed vulnerability is an access point, if you will, for viruses, trojans, etc. It's a list of the many ways a browser can be controlled/accessed/etc from the outside by malicious programs.
Post 10 Feb 2008, 22:53
f0dder

f0dder
A widely exploited vulnerability is worse than just a vulnerability... Internet Explorer is still the most widely used browser, and thus the most exploit-targeted one. Opera could have more security holes and still be a safer browsing experience, because of it's fringe status Smile

Also, there are various classes of vulnerabilities. The far worst is remote code execution, which can lead to really nasty malware on your box. Cross-site scripting is nasty enough, but imho only really a problem if you're careless about clicking links, and end up with an abused webbank/paypal/amazon/whatever.
Post 10 Feb 2008, 23:11
drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine
IE is easier to exploit and more vulnerable due to its tight integration with the OS, too. Overall, any other browser is better protected than IE which is the bottom line.
Post 11 Feb 2008, 00:09
f0dder

f0dder
drhowarddrfine wrote:
IE is easier to exploit and more vulnerable due to its tight integration with the OS, too. Overall, any other browser is better protected than IE which is the bottom line.

I wouldn't say that it's OS integration makes it "easier to exploit and more vulnerable", but the tight OS integration means it's present on all Windows machines, and because of Windows Update you have very large groups of machines running the same few versions - a very homogenous environment.

Post 11 Feb 2008, 00:18
drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine
What I mean is, because it's integrated into the OS, if you get into the browser, you get into the OS. Less likely to happen to a browser that isn't part of the OS; or at least it's more difficult.
Post 11 Feb 2008, 00:42
f0dder

f0dder
drhowarddrfine wrote:
What I mean is, because it's integrated into the OS, if you get into the browser, you get into the OS. Less likely to happen to a browser that isn't part of the OS; or at least it's more difficult.

Not really.

A remote code execution vulnerability is just that. If you get that, and the user isn't running a non-admin account, you're home free and can own the system totally - no matter what application we're talking. Doesn't matter if it's IE, Notead, FireFox, AutoCad or whatever (although internet-connected applications are more likely to be an attack vector for drive-by exploiting Wink ).

Post 11 Feb 2008, 00:48

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: