flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > My machine has broken

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
tom tobias

tom tobias
asmfan wrote:
...AV, anti-malware, anti-rootkit etc. software? Maybe you should update Win more often?....
I disagree with this approach. A better notion, in my opinion, is to have at least two OLD computers, not the fastest, or the best, but computers which have NO connection to the internet. Those two should serve as the penultimate reservoir of FASM, with a daily backup onto CDROM. A third computer is hooked up to internet, but not to either of those machines, which communicate with one another by cdrom or usb flash memory, or ethernet which bypasses the internet.
Tomasz wrote:
...Sorry, you have to wait a little longer for the new release.....
Yes, some of us are accustomed to waiting for quite a while....
Tomasz wrote:
...I borrowed the computer from the place where I work
? What about JU?
Post 20 Jan 2008, 08:58
Tomasz Grysztar
Assembly Artist

Tomasz Grysztar
asmfan wrote:
Seems like these "false positives" on FASM package weren't such a "false" Smile
Have you tryed AV, anti-malware, anti-rootkit etc. software? Maybe you should update Win more often?

I had all the latest updates (however, since it was xp64, I'd suspect it may have some serious bugs; I doubt that they would be THAT serious, still).
Also, those two events happened in a different circumstances and with a bit different results (in the first case it was some real burning, with smoke etc.), so I doubt there's any serious correlation.
I was doing some driver development on this machine recently, with intense resets, etc. But still, I shouldn't be able to do any serious damage with things like that (at least it never happened to me on older machines).
Post 20 Jan 2008, 08:59
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Tomasz Grysztar
Assembly Artist

Tomasz Grysztar
tom tobias wrote:
Tomasz wrote:
...I borrowed the computer from the place where I work
? What about JU?

Yes, this is where I work.
Post 20 Jan 2008, 09:02
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
f0dder

f0dder
I'm pretty sure beep-on-startup is done by BIOS code and thus requires CPU, unless the motherboard is one of those fancy ones with voice samples...

Does this mean both your machines have blown? Sad

Get an UPS with power regulation for your home!
Post 20 Jan 2008, 09:31
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
Quote:
it doesn't even beep when turned on

how bout changing the ram?
Post 20 Jan 2008, 10:10
Tomasz Grysztar
Assembly Artist

Tomasz Grysztar
This doesn't seem to be related to power, as the first one did - it hanged once, after restarting it hanged again during the system startup, only after such few tries it stopped starting completely.

I'm not sure how to check, whether this is motherboard or CPU damaged, since - as f0dder noted - if the CPU is broken completely, it won't beep at all.
Post 20 Jan 2008, 10:48
f0dder

f0dder
Well, unstable power could theoretically nuke your cpu/motherboard/whatever?

Anyway, it's a good idea to have a spare PCI graphics card lying around, and possibly also a RAM stick, so you can rule out those things. Heck, with the price of celerons these days, you could even have a spare CPU lying around for testing Smile
Post 20 Jan 2008, 10:55
Tomasz Grysztar
Assembly Artist

Tomasz Grysztar
I know it's hard to believe it's just a conincidence, but this particular machine had its own problems since a long time - like random rebooting, or keyboard port suddenly not working till I cleared the CMOS. This fault seems to be somehow related to those problems, and no short-circuit, as it was with the first machine.
Post 20 Jan 2008, 10:56
Tomasz Grysztar
Assembly Artist

Tomasz Grysztar
I did a processor swap with the borrowed machine - after I put the good processor into mine, it still doesn't start at al. However if I put my processor into that second machine, it also doesn't start - it gives me some beeps. I need yet to look up those beeps, but it seems like the both board and CPU are down? :/
Post 20 Jan 2008, 11:43
Tomasz Grysztar
Assembly Artist

Tomasz Grysztar
OK, testing summary:
The borrowed machine is HP Compaq, it's beep codes are listed here.
BTW: it doesn't need a working CPU in order to beep. If I removed the CPU at all, it beeps 3 times, just as the webpage I linked says.

If I put my CPU (Pentium D) into this machine, it beeps 9 times, which means "System not fetching code". Some serious CPU damage, it seems.

If I put the working CPU (Celeron D) from the borrowed machine into mine, it behaves exactly the same - doesn't start at all.

So it seems that motherboard and CPU got damaged together.
I suspected it would be a CPU damage due to the overheating, since I discovered the CPU fan had some problems - but why the mainboard got broken, too?
Post 20 Jan 2008, 12:19
edfed

edfed
graphic card and ram are frequentlly the problem.
try to clean the contacts of ram and video port.
and while starting, force on the ram bars...
i have a broken machine that work only if i strongly push the ram on the board.

biiiip biiip biiiip = video contacts

bip bilibip biiip = ram contacts

biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiip = dead

nothing = really dead.
Post 20 Jan 2008, 12:25
Vov4ik

Vov4ik
Do you unplug your computer from outlet when it is turned off? It can rather increase it's life because ATX power unit provides "standby voltage" everytime it is plugged in, even turned off. This voltage is not very good stabilized, and its stabilizer deteriorates quite fast if mains voltage is unstable (which takes place at night very often).
In the university laboratory, in which i work, about five power units were broken when we ceased to turn all voltage off (some experimental equipment had to work at night).
Post 20 Jan 2008, 13:03
Tomasz Grysztar
Assembly Artist

Tomasz Grysztar
The power unit is perfectly ok this time, it's a good an stable one (700W OCZ). It may be some kind of damage due to overheating, since I noticed that it really seemed to be overheating a bit.
Post 20 Jan 2008, 13:08
tom tobias

tom tobias
Tomasz wrote:
The power unit is perfectly ok this time, it's a good an stable one (700W OCZ). It may be some kind of damage due to overheating, since I noticed that it really seemed to be overheating a bit.
http://www.altex.com/product_info.php?products_id=6488
The $140 price tag for that power supply costs more than two of my computers....Umm, have you changed the fan inside the power supply? That's a five dollar item that should be swapped out, i.e. replaced, frequently, if one is working in a dusty environment. My fans typically last 18 months, not longer.
Personally, I favor using maximum 400 watts, but that is because I try to reduce costs....
Tomasz wrote:
....I suspected it would be a CPU damage due to the overheating,...
Hmm. Are you using the best cooler:
http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=productview&products_id=14&lng=en&set=1
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2237843,00.asp
Personally, I do not use this gigantic device, but then, I don't have any Core 2 duo cpu's either....
I use the less expensive NH-U9f WITH a fan, actually, I bought my coolers a couple years ago, they were sold then sans fan, the now obsolete, NH-U9.
Post 20 Jan 2008, 13:41
f0dder

f0dder
tom tobias wrote:

Personally, I do not use this gigantic device, but then, I don't have any Core 2 duo cpu's either....

core2duos actually run very cool, especially the new 45nm ones. Very nice CPUs altogether.

Tomasz, I hope you're not super short on cash, so you can afford getting a new box... dunno which RAM you have, but it'd be at least CPU and Motherboard you need to replace. If you don't need a powerful graphics card for games, I can recommend ASUS P5K-VM with onboard intel GMA graphics, it's relatively cheap and works pretty well... And you can of course still stick in a PCI-e x16 card if you need it.

Post 20 Jan 2008, 13:52
Tomasz Grysztar
Assembly Artist

Tomasz Grysztar
tom tobias: I would never buy such a power supply myself - I got it among the other hardware as a kind of donation to fasm development (so that I would have the 64-bit VMX-capable machine for testing)

f0dder: thanks for the advice, it looks like a really nice and cheap mb.
What CPU would you recommend for it (something that would have the VMX support)?
Post 20 Jan 2008, 13:58
f0dder

f0dder
It's a nice board indeed, I use it for my (VMX Smile) testbox. BIOS doesn't support turning off cores, but boot.ini /ONECPU switch is good enough for that purpose.

The E6550 CPU is very cheap, but if you can wait until E8200 comes in stock that would be better (45nm fab and 6meg cache), and it's only slightly more expensive. I think you need at least a E6xxx/E8xxx processor for VMX support (ie, E4xxx won't do), and here in .dk all the E6xxx seem to cost about the same Smile
Post 20 Jan 2008, 14:09
tom tobias

tom tobias
http://3btech.net/msiptne21cod.html
I am ordering one for myself, and if you will send me a private message with your current address, I will order two, and send one to you.
The cpu I was planning to purchase is this:
http://www.starmicro.net/detail.aspx?ID=816
Smile
Post 20 Jan 2008, 14:14
f0dder

f0dder
Ugh, you're ordering something with a VIA chipset? >_<

And why the hell a Pentium D CPU?
Post 20 Jan 2008, 14:19
tom tobias

tom tobias
Here's a 65nm cpu with 64 bit support:
http://www.starmicro.net/detail.aspx?ID=695
which this motherboard supports:
http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=prodcpusupport&prod_no=264&maincat_no=1&cat2_no=&cat3_no=#menu
Fudder is in the high end business, I am sweeping the floor....
Cool
Post 20 Jan 2008, 14:29

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: