flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > My machine has broken

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Tomasz Grysztar

Tomasz Grysztar
My primary PC has broken today - something short-circuited on the mainboard and blew up the cheap power supply I had there. When I try with better power supply, it just turns itself off as soon as I plug in the 4-pin 12 V cable into mainboard, which means the short-circuit is still there (when I remove the processor it behaves exactly the same, so definitely not the CPU's burned).
I tried cleaning it all from dust, but that's about all I could do. Do any of you have some experience with such event? I still have a second XP machine (the one I now use to write this post), so it's not really as bad (and it seems it made me move to a better computer faster than I would do it otherwise). But I still wonder, whether the mainboard from the old one can be only thrown out, or is it possible to repair it somehow.
Post 05 Jan 2008, 11:53
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
If you are a supporter of saving the planet then trying to repair would be okay but somewhat expensive in time and a really hard problem to find replacement components. But if you don't mind throwing out the thing then a new MB would probably be the easiest way to go. If your CPU is also very old then finding a matching MB might also be troublesome in which case a new CPU also might be required. Oh it is endless how we have to keep upgrading all the time just to stay still.
Post 05 Jan 2008, 12:43
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
maybe a new motherboard, with 2~4 gb ddr2, and new vista Razz
Post 05 Jan 2008, 13:05
Tomasz Grysztar

Tomasz Grysztar
The CPU there is Athlon XP.
In fact, the only thing that I regret is the Windows XP OEM I had installed there, which I got once from the member of this board. I guess I won't be able to activate it one the other machine.
Post 05 Jan 2008, 13:17
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
Tomasz Grysztar wrote:
In fact, the only thing that I regret is the Windows XP OEM I had installed there, which I got once from the member of this board. I guess I won't be able to activate it one the other machine.
Sure you can, you just need to call Microsoft and tell then your old machine broke and they will give you the activation code. I've done it many times, no problem.
Post 05 Jan 2008, 13:21
Vov4ik

Vov4ik
Hello! May be that some electrolytic capacitors on your motherboard became swallen. It is a frequently occurring fault on modern MB.
You can check them up, and, if they are broken, it is possible and not expensive to replace it, only, of cource, if it is worthy and if this motherboard is precious to you. Wink I had performed that process with my primary motherboard, and now it is working fine about 5 years (Asus, for P-III).
Sorry for my English...
Post 05 Jan 2008, 18:36
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
Oh yes, there was a period of time where many mainboard vendors was using shitty capacitors (the stolen electrolyte issue).

Not sure if it could be the cause of your particular problem but I think it is worth to check
Post 05 Jan 2008, 18:50
Vov4ik

Vov4ik
I thought, only new mainboards have this problem, because all my old MB (early P-III and older) have not, but i saw this in my friends' PCs. May be this singularity takes place only in Russia Smile
Post 05 Jan 2008, 19:09
f0dder

f0dder
Vov4ik wrote:
I thought, only new mainboards have this problem, because all my old MB (early P-III and older) have not, but i saw this in my friends' PCs. May be this singularity takes place only in Russia Smile

Probably it happens more slowly on older motherboards, and people in the generally more wealthy countries replace their machines so fast that it never happens to them?

Post 05 Jan 2008, 19:13
Vov4ik

Vov4ik
I think that replacing one or even two times a year is not slowly. But one of the reasons of reducing hardware quality is a migration of electronics' and other plants into China... But this reduces prices too.
Post 05 Jan 2008, 19:35
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
Wasn't this problem started around 2002-2003? An AthlonXP fits in that timeline.

I though this problem was finally solved, am I wrong?
Post 05 Jan 2008, 20:12
Octavio

Octavio
Tomasz Grysztar wrote:
(when I remove the processor it behaves exactly the same, so definitely not the CPU's burned).

you can not say that unless you test the cpu on another computer(with the risk of crash this computer too).
A shorcut on the cpu coud have damage other components like voltage converters. Perhaps you can search on a second hand computer store for the same computer model. Or if you buy a new one get a Intel machine.
From the computers i have ,it is always AMD that get damaged.
Post 05 Jan 2008, 22:43
edfed

edfed
i don't have any recent prossessors, but i am confronted to many many machines diseases..
i can help..
the procedure to follow, not alway, is to obtain a good multimeter.*
first , test the power supply, short circuit the two remote wires, green and grey , something like that.
then , the power supply start, if not, it's dead.
for the mainboard, test the impedance of each power connectors.
the one who is =~0ohm, the problem is in the section.
capacitors, MOSFET, exploded components in general, can be the cause...
iron, multimeter, logic, good luck Wink
Post 06 Jan 2008, 01:16
drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine
In any case, replacing the power supply causes the same failure. So it's not hte power supply. A cpu will not pull a power supply down on its own so it's the mother board. Replace the motherboard only.
Post 06 Jan 2008, 02:09
f0dder

f0dder
I wonder why nobody has mentioned graphics card yet? A blown graphics card (or sound or any other PCI device for that matter) could prevent the system from booting, powering down immediately.
Post 06 Jan 2008, 03:05
tom tobias

tom tobias
edfed wrote:
...the procedure to follow, not alway, is to obtain a good multimeter.* ...
I don't agree. I would recommend, since it is unclear, at least to me, that the power supply is definitely defective, and/or destroyed, that you borrow a VERY OLD motherboard, and confirm that the power supply is defective, either as a result of the contemporary problem, else as a consequence of this problem. Upon confirming with an old motherboard/cpu/ram that the old power supply is defective, then, I would purchase a new power supply, and first thing to do then, is check the same old motherboard, make sure that it still works, THEN plug the powersupply into the current motherboard. It would be very surprising to have destruction of the power supply, with continuing integrity of the cpu--since the cpu is far more sensitive to voltage irregularities than the power supply. I have found that it is much more dependable to swap components, than to check voltages/currents/resistance with a multimeter.
It is pointless to purchase a new motherboard, until one has achieved confirmation of the integrity of the power supply.
Post 06 Jan 2008, 04:39
edfed

edfed
a multimeter is only a tool
mesurement can be done without any...
with the computer itself.
for exemple, mine works, so i can say the 5volt and 12 volt rails are OK +/- 5%
unplug everything on the mother board and connect it to a valid switching power supply.
if the power supply don't start, problem is a shunted component on the board.
most common bugs are in capacitors and mosfet transistors.
the basic switch power units for the CPU can be the guilty components.
to solve the problem , change them.
other cause of the problem. a shunted self.

by a new/old COMPUTER.
no?
Post 06 Jan 2008, 16:57
MCD

MCD
Several years ago, I had a similar problem with an old 32bit PCI graphics card which prevented the BIOS and even the CPU to start correctly.

First thing I would do is assume that no useless stuff like network, sound and raid cards are installed... you should also detach stuff like floppy cables, hard drives, mice, network cables...

best just keep the mainboard, RAM modules, CPU, graphics card, some kind of Screen and keyboard and a power supply from which you know it works.

If that doesn't help, unplug even the useless graphics card and screen and even the keyboard.

If your board still have jumpers, try to test whether there are loose contacts.

Another untested idea that comes into my mind would be to reset the BIOS by removing and replugging the battery or so.
In case of a short circuit, maybe some firmware EEPROM (maybe the BIOS) lost his memory, highly unlikely.

If all this fails, you can have at least have a look at here http://nepp.nasa.gov/whisker/ for an explanation of a frequent reason why even excellent electronic hardware may break after years of conservative usage.

-||__/
.|+-~
.|| ||
Post 12 Jan 2008, 16:01
Tomasz Grysztar

Tomasz Grysztar
I'm cursed.
You won't believe it, but it just (well, yesterday) happened again, to my second machine. This time no physical burning, the computer just hang while I was working with Windows, and doesn't start again at all. Even if I plug off everything and uninstall CPU/memory/video and leave only the PC speaker and power plugged in, it doesn't even beep when turned on. It looks a bit like if it had the reset button contantly pressed - but I checked the reset connections and everything looks ok.

It's the ASUS P5N32-SLI mainboard, and, in fact, it had some issues earlier, too. For instance, from the very beginning video card was not working when put in the primary PCI express slot - only in the secondary one.

PS. I borrowed the computer from the place where I work in order to be able to view the forum now. It's a pity that machine broke just in the middle of work on the new version of fasm. Sorry, you have to wait a little longer for the new release.
Post 20 Jan 2008, 08:15
asmfan

asmfan
Seems like these "false positives" on FASM package weren't such a "false" Smile
Have you tryed AV, anti-malware, anti-rootkit etc. software? Maybe you should update Win more often?
Post 20 Jan 2008, 08:36

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: