flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > embrace linux, bsd, sun solaris, open source, why we haven't

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
gunblade

gunblade
I do use Linux as my primary operating system on all my machines (Although my main pc dual boots with windows (damn game developers Smile)). As for the number of distro's and such, I agree, there are way too many, and many of them suck, because they try to make Linux into a "simple" operating system, many try to replicate windows. The thing is, if you want a good Linux system, you cant do that.. I mean, one obvious, simple thing to really improve performance on a linux machine, is to recompile the kernel to match your hardware exactly, that way theres no extra bloat, and theres good support for what you have. But very little people using distros do that.

Thats why I use Linux From Scratch http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/, It's actually just a book (freely available online), thats kept up-to-date, and explains how to compile a linux system from scratch (and I mean the _full_ system, from sources). It is very useful, both for learning how the system works, what components do what, and for producing a clean and optimized system. Sure, it takes a while, but it gets easier after the first couple of times (Done about 10 installations so far), plus theres a script available to automate parts of it, although it does require previous knowledge to work properly.

As for the performance loss compared to windows, it depends.
Graphics wise, yes, most of the time, the graphics drivers are not optimized to the same level as windows drivers, because companies dont see the need/point in doing it, so half the time the drivers have to be re-written by open source developers who dont have inside knowledge of the hardware. Also, X is not as fast as the windows GUI, but for a good reason, because it is based on a Server-Client system, X displays can be attached and controlled from several locations, it is a powerful and useful system, that allows many scenarios which is not possible in windows, (or requires 3rd party software), but as a downside, the fact that it uses a socket for data probably slows it down a bit. But saying that, I've had no issues with speed on any of my machines, as long as you dont use bloatware like KDE (sorry to fans of KDE, its an impressive desktop manager, but its slow, very very slow). The thing about linux is.. you have the choice, if you dont like KDE, use something else (icewm, fluxbox, ratpoison (my personal favourite, and what i use on my desktop linux boxes)).

Im lucky enough not to NEED windows for anything at the moment, but I'm starting work soon, and I'm sure development there will probably be mainly based on windows, its just a fact of life that we have to live with, for now.

If you have time and want to try out linux, I suggest reading the Linux From Scratch book, and going along for a installation, its a good way to learn about the real Linux, unlike all those distros that try to sugar-coat linux into something that its not.
Post 28 May 2008, 09:21
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
if i have more time, i will do it again with linux from scratch
Post 28 May 2008, 10:26
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
gunblade, sorry for asking without previous serious searching on Internet but, how do you keep up to date the software of your LFS? Automated tools? You are suscribed to every RSS to be aware of security/features updates?

About KDE, I don't feel it slow actually, and note that I'm using the plain nv driver because although Debian has means to install the official drivers, I can't later use the AMD64 kernel because I have installed the i386 distribution (which allows you to install the AMD64 kernel package but the nVidia drivers for this kernel are not compatible with the i386 userland). Note that I'm not a KDE fan actually but except for Firefox that integrates VERY bad with KDE, normally I have better experience with the installed software, not matter whether it is designed for GTK or QT, while if I use Gnome, some software designed to work with KDE looks terrible and even sometimes are unusable.
Post 15 Jun 2008, 18:15
rugxulo

rugxulo
Has no one ever tried compiling a static (not shared!) Linux distro? Surely it would make things less complex (IMHO) and it could easily fit on a CD, no? I've found that most common distros bloat up too much with tons of office/spreadsheet crap, too much multimedia stuff, and way way WAY too many networking utils. (And they should all have at least TinyCC, ncurses-dev, and NASM/YASM/FASM if not also GCC/G++.) Also, an entire distro liveCD for only cross-compiling to a billion targets (NetBSD, Win32, DJGPP, etc.) would be awesome. (Oh well, I can dream, can't I?) Razz

EDIT: And why does no one utilize UPX??
Post 30 Jun 2008, 21:38
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
JoeCoder1

JoeCoder1
Hey rugxulo I am answering you after only 6 years. But this forum isn't so busy. Anyway UNIX has a very bad IMHO design principle of making application depend on numerous libraries. It's a PITA and causes dependency hell and not very efficient code. I agree it would be best to do a statically linked distro and have no dependencies and require nothing.
Post 18 Jun 2011, 20:30
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
5 years soon after this thread started,

are you STILL using windows xp, 7 ? windows 8 maybe? or you switch to bsd, linux, haiku, menuet, or stop using computer?

i tried this sabayon 10 lately, it still lots of pain to set stuffs into comfortable mood,
but better than previous experience imo.

imo, windows xp rocks if view from usability perspective.

update* lesson learnt
the laptop become mute after equo upgrade Laughing
maybe, sabayon is too modern for me, Cool

wicd is better than NetworkManager,

fluxbox emerge style is beautiful,

force trayer for nm-applet & wicd, (after i fail to use iwlist iwconfig to set up wifi)

equo install will redownload from 0 byte instead of resume download those tbz2 files.
Post 25 Nov 2012, 00:23
sleepsleep

sleepsleep
tried porteus, i think it is in the direction, but too bad, maybe i will just revert xp
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porteus_%28operating_system%29
http://www.porteus.org

a slax remix with more latest offerings.

whats wrong with linux? maybe i need more than common sense to use this OS, maybe.
Post 25 Nov 2012, 17:24
bubach

bubach
My main reason for not using any linux distro isn't games, or even drivers. I could probably manage without most things, it's just that everything takes ages to configure/install.

My idea of fun isn't to spend 5 hours on downloading sources, googling errors on why it wouldn't compile, download sources of dependencies. Try to compile those. Download right set of sources for my distro/platform. Google right command switches for it to compile. Redownload right sources for main program. It still won't compile... Spend another hour searching for right command switches and config file-changes to make. Compile it. Find config files, google, configure it right. Didn't work. Google some more. And so on..

Total time could easily go beyond 10 hours. Total time spent downloading tool on W32, 10 minutes.

And when all this shit is finally done, you have so many failed tries and just plain guess work behind you that there is no way to know if you did things the right way - or whatever left-over files you can delete. You're basically to scared to make changes to _anything_ when it finally works.

As I said, this isn't my idea of fun. And while download managers can make life esier, they disturbingly often won't work at all, or halt on some #¤&#%& errors. Also all these config files, and package managers have different paths, names, commands and so on for each distro, confusing you even further - since you never have the same platform/distro two times in a row.

Nah, F it. Windows isn't even _that_ bad anymore. Couldn't say the same back in the w95 or w98 days. Razz
Post 25 Nov 2012, 21:03
sleepsleep

sleepsleep
bubach wrote:
My main reason for not using any linux distro isn't games, or even drivers. I could probably manage without most things, it's just that everything takes ages to configure/install.

My idea of fun isn't to spend 5 hours on downloading sources, googling errors on why it wouldn't compile, download sources of dependencies. Try to compile those. Download right set of sources for my distro/platform. Google right command switches for it to compile. Redownload right sources for main program. It still won't compile... Spend another hour searching for right command switches and config file-changes to make. Compile it. Find config files, google, configure it right. Didn't work. Google some more. And so on..

Total time could easily go beyond 10 hours. Total time spent downloading tool on W32, 10 minutes.

And when all this shit is finally done, you have so many failed tries and just plain guess work behind you that there is no way to know if you did things the right way - or whatever left-over files you can delete. You're basically to scared to make changes to _anything_ when it finally works.

As I said, this isn't my idea of fun. And while download managers can make life esier, they disturbingly often won't work at all, or halt on some #�&#%& errors. Also all these config files, and package managers have different paths, names, commands and so on for each distro, confusing you even further - since you never have the same platform/distro two times in a row.

Nah, F it. Windows isn't even _that_ bad anymore. Couldn't say the same back in the w95 or w98 days. Razz

gotta agree with lots of things you mentioned above,
it takes ages when i start apply common sense on that OS, it just doesn't works as i wish,
Post 25 Nov 2012, 21:21
TmX

TmX
sleepsleep wrote:

gotta agree with lots of things you mentioned above,
it takes ages when i start apply common sense on that OS, it just doesn't works as i wish,

Probably each Linux distro have its specific rules of 'common sense'? Laughing

I'm now using Arch Linux, and my only complaint is it doesn't support my Broadcom wifi chip by default, so I have to install the kernel driver manually.

Fortunately, the driver is already available in the package repository, so I could just download it.

Hmm, maybe I'm starting to have a bias to Linux.
Post 26 Nov 2012, 01:44
matefkr

matefkr
-because of games on windows, and i dont know
-because they are strange
-because they wont install on my machine the graphical interface.
Post 28 Nov 2012, 11:23
ASM-Man

ASM-Man
The single reason because I have Linux installed on my computer is: its tools. The UNIX's tools. I can't get all on Microsoft Windows,not all working fine. So I use it. Is very convinient get some source code from web/cd/dvd etc and read/compile and perform some tests by using UNIX. There is too the question that most books use it as teaching environment. E.g the peoples teaches "how UNIX works" because usually there is more infermonation avaliable than other systems.
But in the rest,I don't like Linux. I think its "thing" disorganized. A caos. The loop of packages and a lot of distos are two-of main things that I'm talking.
Of course,is not my main OS.
Post 26 Jan 2013, 05:00
TmX

TmX
ASM-Man wrote:

But in the rest,I don't like Linux. I think its "thing" disorganized. A caos. The loop of packages and a lot of distos are two-of main things that I'm talking.

Then why don't you try BSD?
As far as I know, Linux uses the "take components from here and there and let's build a distro on top of it" approach, while BSD is engineered.

Of course I'm not saying "Linux rocks, BSD sucks" or "BSD is way better than Linux". It's a matter of personal preference, anyway Smile
Post 26 Jan 2013, 07:05
sleepsleep

sleepsleep
been using OpenBSD for my application development, pretty smooth imo,

i buy their secure by default idea, =P
Post 26 Jan 2013, 13:23
ASM-Man

ASM-Man
TmX wrote:
ASM-Man wrote:

Then why don't you try BSD?
As far as I know, Linux uses the "take components from here and there and let's build a distro on top of it" approach, while BSD is engineered.

Of course I'm not saying "Linux rocks, BSD sucks" or "BSD is way better than Linux". It's a matter of personal preference, anyway Smile

That's I'II do(again,I had it somtime ago) Very Happy What do recommend? FreeBSD,NetBSD? other?

Post 28 Jan 2013, 05:36
TmX

TmX
I only tried FreeBSD, never personally tried the other BSD systems.
Post 28 Jan 2013, 08:18
KevinN

KevinN
Manjaro linux is nice..its arch but easier to install with window manager ready to go
Post 28 Jan 2013, 09:32
sleepsleep

sleepsleep
October 2013, finding myself installing sabayon linux in my lappy.

they really make certain stuff easier compare to other distros,
imagine equo install bumblebee
and next is accept licenses and wait downloading complete

(i am using the spinbase iso)
Post 24 Oct 2013, 18:30
nyrtzi

nyrtzi
Why not just use both? Like for example running Linux as a virtual machine inside Windows? Works just fine for me.
Post 26 Oct 2013, 16:49
HaHaAnonymous

HaHaAnonymous
[ Post removed by author. ]

Last edited by HaHaAnonymous on 28 Feb 2015, 19:40; edited 1 time in total
Post 26 Oct 2013, 19:47

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: