flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > What's the IDE of your dreams?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
polygon7

polygon7
My favorites are Code::Blocks and ArgoUML (I know ArgoUML is not IDE, but it helps me a lot in some things). Smile

Post 07 Jan 2008, 21:46
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
OzzY

OzzY
polygon7: Thank you for the tip. I've searching for a tool like ArgoUML for a long time for algo planning. Smile
Post 07 Jan 2008, 23:00
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
Code::Blocks is very nice, but i prefer VIM + command line Wink
Post 07 Jan 2008, 23:56
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
Pixelator

Pixelator
My dream IDE would have an option that lets you modify the language you are scripting in and lets you load new languages and lets you save the changes you made. THat would be sweet...
Post 08 Jan 2008, 18:18
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
OzzY

OzzY
I don't like CodeBlocks mainly because they never release a stable release. Trusting the nightly builds for real projects is not good.
Also, CodeBlocks' code completion does not works ok. The parser sometimes will not work.
But I think it has great future.
I wish there was an IDE like Pelles C, but for C++. Simple, light-weight and full-featured.
Post 09 Jan 2008, 03:40
Raedwulf

Raedwulf
I like Pelles C too Wink
Post 09 Jan 2008, 08:41
bitRAKE

bitRAKE
Chrome seems very flexible:
http://pagesperso-orange.fr/franck.charlet/

Can be adapted for FASM use.
Post 09 Jan 2008, 21:34
OzzY

OzzY
Is Chrome still updated?
Post 10 Jan 2008, 00:07
bitRAKE

bitRAKE
There is a comment about needing to find the source code and post it, but he might intend to state it needs to be packaged for distribution. It taken literally, it would imply it is no longer updated. I find this difficult to believe though - best to email hitchhikr and ask him - maybe he will get the source together.

Myself, I just downloaded it yesterday to see how it'd work with FASM - can't really find anything that fits me well. I like the flexiblity, but it seems a bit much. Integration with the PSDK/DDK is nice, but I'm doing more algorithm work than API stuff, atm.

I might hack up KetilO's ResEd for API programming - for a VB'ish kinda feel but generating FASM code rather than a resource file. Tools need to evolve with the work.
Post 10 Jan 2008, 00:39
shoorick

shoorick
my rc->fasm converter converts only dialogs from rc into fasm code, but it is enough, as other resources does not need grafics for design - you may try it to use with rc editor Wink
it's very simple - does not support rc in unicode text, and does not process equations, just shifting their places, but enough to work with rc-files, generated by winasm studio.
Post 10 Jan 2008, 06:13
bitRAKE

bitRAKE
Thank you, but I was not very clear. I don't want a resource section - I want to produce the CreateWindow calls and write message handlers in a modular way.

For example, I should be able to draw a button and add all the code for the button in one place. Select the messages to handle or subclassing and the editor tracks all the packets of code. I'll start with some default handling options and slowly add more features as needed.

KetilO already has code for his .DLG files for RadASM (which store pixels rather than dialog units), and I'll just modify that to output the text. I fixed an error I was having with ResEd and thought about this at the time, but haven't got back to it.

[Kind of encompassed by this compression algorithm I've been working on for the past ten years (taking notes, really). Embarassed It almost works, and seems to be as good as I imagined. The smallest decompressor is 72 bytes. Cool ]
Post 10 Jan 2008, 09:44
shoorick

shoorick
understand
i'm not sure, but you may look at this project: http://mrhx.ucoz.com/news/2007-10-28-20

after running application walk through menu to find word "english" to switch interface to english.

Post 10 Jan 2008, 10:08
bitRAKE

bitRAKE
Very Happy That is nice - I'm going to have to play with it!
Post 10 Jan 2008, 10:39
OzzY

OzzY
bitRAKE wrote:
I might hack up KetilO's ResEd for API programming - for a VB'ish kinda feel but generating FASM code rather than a resource file. Tools need to evolve with the work.

Nice idea! Would be great tool!
Post 14 Jan 2008, 05:27
OzzY

OzzY
shoorick wrote:
understand
i'm not sure, but you may look at this project: http://mrhx.ucoz.com/news/2007-10-28-20

after running application walk through menu to find word "english" to switch interface to english.

here i tried to create a window with checkbox with it - just need to change path to includes before compilation.

I've been trying to find such tool for a long time!
It even supports free pascal, fasm and a bunch o compilers! Cool! Razz
Thanks for the tip!
Post 14 Jan 2008, 05:31
masonswanson

masonswanson
my ideal ide would have syntax highlighting, a hex editor with the option of viewing bytes in decimal or ascii text, a builtin disassembler that outputs fasm, has a builtin console and directory viewer, has either buttons or menu options to compile or assemble the current file, some way to have several different files in a 'project'. Also an IA32 emulator for testing your homebrew OS... yea that sounds nice.
Post 02 Nov 2010, 00:52
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
ouadji

ouadji

Ultra Edit Studio

and soon, the next Wink 7.0 Wink

Post 02 Nov 2010, 01:02
bitRAKE

bitRAKE
ouadji, I've been using 6.57 version every day. Working with full features of FASM require thinking at several syntactic levels, and the high-lighting facilitates faster development. Furthermore, Wink keeps FASMW's focused UI - no need for bells and whistles when the focus is coding.

It is pointless to look for an all-in-one tool: it will be equally mediocre at everything it does. Instead one should look for the best set of tools which provide the needed functionality:

FASM / Wink
OllyDbg / FDBG
HxD
Paint (.NET (wish this was more portable))
Sumatra PDF (lots of reading: manuals, papers, books, ...)
ResEdit, http://www.resedit.net/

...and of course, remain open to change - new tools come along all the time! Very Happy

Now back to coding... Wink
Post 02 Nov 2010, 03:34
rugxulo

rugxulo
masonswanson wrote:
my ideal ide would have syntax highlighting, a hex editor with the option of viewing bytes in decimal or ascii text, a builtin disassembler that outputs fasm, has a builtin console and directory viewer, has either buttons or menu options to compile or assemble the current file, some way to have several different files in a 'project'. Also an IA32 emulator for testing your homebrew OS... yea that sounds nice.

Except for the (extremely unrealistic) IA32 emulator requirement, almost all of that is supported (more or less) in Necromancer's DOS Navigator. Tomasz was/is a big fan of the original / "classic" DN151, too.

Although, let's be honest, we're writing assembly, so we can slum it, we don't need no stinkin' IDEs, all we need is an assembler and an editor. Debug can do in a pinch. Wink
Post 02 Nov 2010, 06:19
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
rugxulo wrote:
... we don't need no stinkin' IDEs, all we need is an assembler and an editor. Debug can do in a pinch. Wink
And so rugxulo speaketh the truth. I vote this for the post of the month.
Post 02 Nov 2010, 06:30

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: