flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Upgrading Windows Vista to XP

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Yardman

Yardman
[ Post removed by author. ]

Last edited by Yardman on 04 Apr 2012, 02:58; edited 1 time in total
Post 19 Dec 2007, 00:17
madmatt

madmatt
Fortunately, I have both XP and VISTA Installed on my harddrive Very Happy . XP for gaming and just raw speed in many situations, and Vista, I guess, just because it's something new Wink . I agree with much of what is said. That without at least 2GB ram and a modern video card, Vista is a cold slug with a pretty interface Smile .
Post 19 Dec 2007, 07:04
cristio

cristio
HI,

Please tel me if you know how to install XP over a pre-installed (laptop) Vista? Installing Vista after is not an option as I only have OEM DVD from the laptop, that would format the HDD.

Right now, I have XP functional (company bought a second licence as laptop provider did not accept the downgrade) over Vista(separate partition and all) and Vista doesn't boot anymore.

thanks
Post 19 Dec 2007, 07:55
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
tom tobias

tom tobias
cristio wrote:
how to install XP over a pre-installed (laptop) Vista? .... Vista doesn't boot anymore
There are two different answers to this question depending upon whether or not the thrust of this question follows or branches away from the main thread: i.e. discarding Vista in favor of XP. My response assumes the former, following the main thread, i.e. formatting the disk anew, discarding the bloated Vista, and installing xp alone, or in combination with some other, non-microsoft products.
Here's one I have not tried:
http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Hard-Disk-Utils/HDD-Low-Level-Format-Tool.shtml
Here's one I have used successfully:
http://www.killdisk.com/
Last week I installed version 12.0 of Slackware Linux, it still uses the old fashioned fdisk program, which provides complete control over partitioning and formatting to any file spec currently in use:
http://www.slackware.com/getslack/
After running fdisk, one is not obliged to install linux.
I still use Ranish to set up my older Atapi IDE drives, when I need to boot both SOL and XP as well as Linux from the same drive. Ranish allows one to create four primary partitions.
http://www.ranish.com/part/
I follow Bogdan's recomendation and combine Ranish with XOSL to manage the partitions, works very well. Haven't tried that combination yet on the more contemporary sata drives.
XP insists upon accessing the C drive, though it permits installation on any other partition. It is thus possible to install Windows 98 on the C partition, XP on the D partition, and Linux plus SOL on other partitions, all managed with XOSL. Knowing how M$ thinks, I doubt that one can install Vista on the C drive, replacing Windows98, in that scenario, without concomitantly destroying the D drive's XP files resident on the C partition, hence leaving XP unbootable.
Post 19 Dec 2007, 11:25
cristio

cristio
Maybe it was not clear:

- I HAVE now a working XP, that i installed on a diferent partion, but XP still boots from C so it destroyed the boot of Vista

- I still have Vista on C, but doesnt' boot anymore

>> I would like to dual-boot, WITHOUT reintstalling Vista, as I only have the OEM disc that came with the laptop. that disc will install Vista anew ERASING everything on the HDD (the HDD has a hidden partion where Vista install is located)

thanks
Post 02 Jan 2008, 18:26
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Yardman

Yardman
[ Post removed by author. ]

Last edited by Yardman on 04 Apr 2012, 02:58; edited 1 time in total
Post 02 Jan 2008, 19:03
madmatt

madmatt
Hello Cristio.
I have both Vista and XP on my harddrive. You'll have to partition your hardrive for this to work. (there is a free program called "gparted" that works quite well and easy to use). After you partition your harddrive, You should First install Xp, It will install on the first partition. Then install Vista, you should choose custom install from Vista's install options dialog, this will allow you to choose which partition to install Vista on, and not overwrite windows xp. When Vista install's and reboot's for the first time, you should get a boot menu letting you choose "an earlier os (Windows XP) or Vista.

[EDIT] If you use gparted for partitioning your harddrive, be sure to select apply before exiting, This makes the changes permanent.
Post 04 Jan 2008, 12:34
cristio

cristio
AGAIN - maybe it is just me not explaining properly... or maybe not?

@madmatt: really, have you read my posts? I DID partition the drive. BUT I CAN"T install XP first. the laptop came with Vista OEM. Once again, this means that re-installing VISTA would mean to wipe clean the HDD (Except the hidden installation partition) -- it is CLEARLY stated in the manual (and i had the same issue before with other laptops and XP).

SO, what I NEED is a way to DUAL-BOOT my EXISTING config:
- Vista pre-installed (1st part)
- XP installed afterwards (2nd part) --- XP overwrote the boot seq of Vista

I would say that what I am looking for is a boot manager: either to re-configure Vista's, or a 3rd party...?

@YARDMAN: Thanks a lot, that seems a very good link, i just need to see if my OEM VISTA install disc (Toshiba) will give me the option. if not, i think i am allowed to just boot once Vista from another (proper) DVD, in order to repair my broken OS, since I paid for 2 (Vista and XP, and much more in the past).

thanks, and i will keep you posted for others to know (i will not do it in the next days, as I am travelling and don't want to pop-up at my project site without a working laptop)
Post 06 Jan 2008, 10:54
tom tobias

tom tobias
cristio wrote:
...XP installed afterwards (2nd part) --- XP overwrote the boot seq of Vista ...
I can only write about my own experience in this frustrating situation. I have never used Vista. I have some computers with both win98, or win95, and XP installed. In both cases, it is imperative to install win98/95 FIRST, then xp, in order to rely upon the XP dual boot capability. I have also added Linux to the mix, using XOSL to manage which OS boots. In my experience, your attempt to reboot vista will fail. I believe that you must reinstall the os. I recommend, if my experience is any model, that you FIRST install XP, THEN install vista, not on partition C, but any other primary partition--Ranish will let you create up to four primary partitions. In other words, M$ will tolerate another M$ product, so long as the most recent product is the last one installed. I hope I am wrong, and I wish you best of luck in rebooting Vista, without necessity of reinstalling it.
Smile
Post 06 Jan 2008, 19:36
cristio

cristio
tom tobias wrote:
cristio wrote:
...XP installed afterwards (2nd part) --- XP overwrote the boot seq of Vista ...
.... I recommend,..., that you FIRST install XP, THEN install vista, not on partition C, but any other primary partition--.... I hope I am wrong, and I wish you best of luck in rebooting Vista, without necessity of reinstalling it.
Smile

@Tom : thanks for the wishes, BUT about the rest... I CAN NOT REINSTALL VISTA (on top of xP), it will ERASE everything else. I wrote this in all my previous posts. that's the OEM that came with the laptop (restore discs from toshiba), and i am NOT buying a 3rd OS (Vista Retail)

Yardman solution seems OK, I just haven't tried it yet.
Post 07 Jan 2008, 07:28
tom tobias

tom tobias
? How about purchasing a portable hard drive, else usb flash memory, to run XP, and to save whatever else is of importance on your currrent hard drive, then, reinstall the vista, after first partitioning the existing hard drive, and installing xp on the first partition, i.e. before running the OEM installation disks? If you can copy the OEM disk, then, you would be able to edit out the partitioning component, in creating a new version of the OEM disk, in the event that the OEM software deletes your newly created partitions. If the OEM disk is slick, it will ask which partition to use, and not violate the XP space, however, that is improbable.
Post 07 Jan 2008, 10:27
cristio

cristio
@Tom: once again, thanks but no...

I am in no mood of experimenting something that I've already seen since 1998. Back then the Toshibas came with the same Recovery CD's...

TO RECAP:
- the laptop comes with Vista pre-installed and no 'real' OEM disc for Vista
- there is a hidded partition of 1.5 GB that has the Vista installation filesl if deleted, you loose ability to re-install and the licence says so
- the disc is a "PRODUCT RECOVERY" from Toshiba and has a WARNING saying: " If you use this product, you will loose all the data on the hard disk"... and possibly any connected mass storage. As far as I know (and tested with previous versions of Windows on older Toshibas) it restores the OS and drivers, but deletes any partions and such.
- to re-install XP now would be a tedious taks (albeit faster than first time, as i have most of drivers now), and I DON"T WANT TO DO IT, as XP and my project software works ok, and i am on a project right now

-- Vista is just for fun, so I am ONLY considering easy and SAFE options to be able to boot it

Once again, the link provided by Yardman seems to do just that, but i am postponing the trial until i have a proper OEM Vista install disk, that would present me with the "Repair your computer option -> Command prompt"

In my view, that is the correct solution, and my issue is concluded. I just wanted to be clearer what i was looking for and I will state the outcome for future reference.

Thanks again.
Post 08 Jan 2008, 08:26

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: