flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > 2 + 2 is &, my bible told me so... (Remotely hosted imag

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
kohlrak

kohlrak
It used to say 4, but then it said else, then it sayeth not anything anymore. Never said &, but i thought it would be a good title. I know i won't get tech support for it, so i'm making clear that that's not why i'm posting it (i'm just going to get a new one). The casing of this shows clear signs of it being reopened like this before, as some of the seals were broken, i only expected the top to go back a little, but that's where the whole casing fell apart (none of the screenshots of the case, obviously). Though, i thought i'd post it because i thought it was an interesting thing to look at. Not sure what all the numbers are for, but with all the penmarks, it makes you think about it. I started to look for the processor, but i can't find it, but the thing looks like a nifty little gadget to program for. That is, if those Rs don't mean registers (doubt so many registers for a little gadget), but i did notice some programming referances on the actual hardware. Clearly not a stable platform, though...

NOTE: Not all people will be able to view them (due to my weird domain name service).

Post 18 Dec 2007, 01:55
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
Madis731

Madis731
Er, how to tell you this, but registers are never written on the PCB. Actually Rs are resistors (surface mounted - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resistor).

The CPU you are looking for isn't there, but there are upto 5 of them here. What I guess is actually two of them are the 'GPU's (LCD processors), another one might be the CPU doing ALU operations and the rest might or might not be RAM.

If it was an electronic game, which I think it was, then I must sadly tell you that it isn't programmable.
Post 18 Dec 2007, 06:34
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
f0dder

f0dder
What's with the whole bible thing? O_o
Post 18 Dec 2007, 12:56
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
mattst88

mattst88
f0dder wrote:
What's with the whole bible thing? O_o

I was wondering the same thing. None of that made any sense at all.

By the way, a basic knowledge of electricity and DC circuits would really help if interested in programming such things.

Post 18 Dec 2007, 18:37
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
kohlrak

kohlrak
That was my bible. XD
Post 18 Dec 2007, 21:12
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
f0dder

f0dder
kohlrak wrote:
That was my bible. XD

So are you, seirously, saying that this thing is an electronic bible? Christ, Amerikans.

Post 18 Dec 2007, 23:49
kohlrak

kohlrak
It's convienient. You don't have to know the order of the books, and you have a search feature, and if you need to do math in church for an unknown reason, it works. Actually, i got it because it's easier to lug around than a big bible. Nice pun, by the way...
Post 19 Dec 2007, 02:21
edfed

edfed
note that you can drive the lcd screen with the LPT port.

i have some lcd screen and i use lpt to test them.
it's hard because it's bit coding, only bit magic tricks.

clk, A, D all these are signals to control the screen.

Description: if you have downloaded one of the 3Dengine sources, it's inside. it is for display the screen on an external LCD
model specific.

Download
Filename: Lcd.inc
Filesize: 967 Bytes
Downloaded: 162 Time(s)

Post 19 Dec 2007, 02:30
tom tobias

tom tobias
kohlrak wrote:
...it's easier to lug around than a big bible....
This is where we need a guy like the Czech writer, Tom Stoppard, the brilliant playwright who has a fantastic sense of humor.
http://www.imagi-nation.com/moonstruck/clsc46.html
Wouldn't it be fun, as the year 2007 draws to a close, to compute how many threads on the FASM forum dealt with bibles of one sort or another, including of course the Intel manuals, and the discussion about Thomas More, and the threads on Islam and the Koran, and Hinduism with the Bhagadvagita (or perhaps we only mentioned Buddhism?), and even a bit on Dao De Jing and LaoZi, right? Somehow, though, we neglected a few of the more esoteric sects right??? I mean, have we ever discussed Mormonism, or Sikhism? But, we did get in a few licks on Zoroastrianism, right?? I can't think of a more appropriate end to this year's profundities, in the Heap section of FASM forum, than this amusing query about a degenerate Christian tome masquerading as an electronic device of one sort or another....
Smile
Post 19 Dec 2007, 02:42
kohlrak

kohlrak
Most of my tricks are binary manipulation anyway... I won't be able to really code on it (i know, unless i get a way to connect it to the computer and get writing access to various sections), but i thought it would be interesting. I mean, really. Look at the architecture of the device. We're used to coding on intels where we can't always depend on what's there and what's not. Things on them constantly update and so forth. I just like to look at simple little machines like this which really don't get updated and are simple to use and such. I like the concept of developing for little side things outside of just Intel... Thinks like Nintendo DS, Electronic Bibles, those programmable circuits i keep hearing about here, and other nifty little gadgets. Systems where you are assured of this and that, but no hardware manufactuer is holding you back by not releasing info on their addition to the system.

Quote:
I can't think of a more appropriate end to this year's profundities, in the Heap section of FASM forum, than this amusing query about a degenerate Christian tome masquerading as an electronic device of one sort or another....

I oddly found that halarious (and i'm not being sarcastic)... Maybe my laughter comes from all the Charlie Chaplin films i just watched, but yes. It's an interesting way to end the year's religious tolerences and intolerences alike. That is... Assuming that this won't be the last religion oriented thing posted, but i highly doubt that'll be, especially with a religious holiday comming up.
Post 19 Dec 2007, 02:43
edfed

edfed
when i was at school, the teacher told us that:

if you don't have the documents, use your brain, and a digital analysor (i don't know the translation for "analyseur numerique" )
the electric signal timing give you some ideas on how it works.

asm is just a 'human' readable translation of hexadecimal
hexadecimal is just a translation of binary
binary is just a translation of electric signals
electric signal is just a translation of physical loads.
etc etc...

X86 is the most complete, cheap and powerfull architecture you can ever code on.

6809 and 68HC11 was my first contact with asm
just before, i was wondering how to make complex circuitry with TTL 74xx and CMOS 4xxx.
electronic is a vast domain that covers the coding, making a total abstraction of the hardware is a big, very big error...

i plan to make a X86 ┬ÁP based on 74HCxx series, when i will be very old... ~200 years old
Post 19 Dec 2007, 02:56
kohlrak

kohlrak
I still feel, though, that people should always have little gadgets to program on to remind themselves of the primitive days, when there really weren't many powerful solutions. It'll remind us of how much power we have and how much we should try to preserve it, rather than just tossing it away with a newer version of windows or mac or something. We have lots of power, but do we truely appriciate it anymore?
Post 19 Dec 2007, 03:05
edfed

edfed
Post 19 Dec 2007, 04:29
kohlrak

kohlrak
People these days don't realize how powerful machines they have because of MS and such. The machines are too "bloated." We don't see it going fast through all the fluff, we just see it going really slow executing the fluff as a whole.
Post 19 Dec 2007, 11:02
f0dder

f0dder
kohlrak wrote:
It's convienient. You don't have to know the order of the books, and you have a search feature, and if you need to do math in church for an unknown reason, it works. Actually, i got it because it's easier to lug around than a big bible. Nice pun, by the way...

Why would you own a bible in the first place? Beats me O_o

kohlrak wrote:
People these days don't realize how powerful machines they have because of MS and such. The machines are too "bloated." We don't see it going fast through all the fluff, we just see it going really slow executing the fluff as a whole.

I've used x86 since the 16MHz 80286 days, and I can certainly say that things are much faster now than then. Not just the raw power and specialized apps that take advantage of SIMD, but also everyday use.

Post 19 Dec 2007, 12:04
kohlrak

kohlrak
Quote:

Why wouldn't i have a bible? I have 2 other bibles as well, but they're not electronic. If you don't feel sure about the translation, look at the other 2 and you'll find the most likely translation in the mijority. Democratic, religious reading. Laughing

Quote:
I've used x86 since the 16MHz 80286 days, and I can certainly say that things are much faster now than then. Not just the raw power and specialized apps that take advantage of SIMD, but also everyday use.

Yea, but we still don't see the true power or get to use it unless we work outside of the OS.
Post 19 Dec 2007, 12:09
f0dder

f0dder
kohlrak wrote:
Quote:

Why wouldn't i have a bible?

No, the question is why you'd own even a single one of them...

kohlrak wrote:

Quote:

Yea, but we still don't see the true power or get to use it unless we work outside of the OS.

That's bullshit Smile

Compare the speed of WinRAR running on whatever modern CPU to old DOS RAR running on a 80286...

Post 19 Dec 2007, 12:17
kohlrak

kohlrak
f0dder wrote:
kohlrak wrote:
Quote:

Why wouldn't i have a bible?

No, the question is why you'd own even a single one of them...

I am a Christian, if it surprises you.

Quote:
kohlrak wrote:

Quote:

That's bullshit Smile

Compare the speed of WinRAR running on whatever modern CPU to old DOS RAR running on a 80286...

Don't have non-MS DOS except for in emulators...
Post 19 Dec 2007, 12:20
tom tobias

tom tobias
kohlrak wrote:
...If you don't feel sure about the translation, look at the other 2 and you'll find the most likely translation in the mijority. Democratic, religious reading....
Here I must disagree. Even if the conundra derived from questionable translations of Aramaic and Hebrew to Greek and Latin, thence to English, were resolved with uniformity, I would challenge the veracity of kohlrak's simplistic conclusion. However, there is a more serious obstacle. Some religions, including some christians, believe that GOD itself, i.e. supernatural being, physically WROTE some particular "holy" book, i.e. physically took pen to paper, and created something from nothing. Most educated folks, on the other hand, realize that the "Bible", or "Koran", or "Torah", et cetera, merely represent musings of various poets, philosophers, and political figures of yesteryear, not divine writing. So, the problem fundamentally, relates not simply to translation, but rather to assignment of the significance of the various themes and parables within these "bibles". In the case of christianity, in particular, it is clear from historical data, that the "Bible" was created by Lord Constantine, who oversaw the selection process, including, and excluding various letters, epistles, and vignettes, as he saw fit. There is nothing supernatural about the process of assembling the "holy" text. As Christmas season is upon us, it is appropriate to recall HOW jesus of nazareth was assigned his birthdate. Lord Constantine assigned to the christian "divinity", (ostensible jewish "messiah",) a birth date corresponding to the the ancient, pagan, SECOND most important, secular holiday of the year: winter solstice. Since Kohlrak is a biblical scholar, I leave it to him to explain WHY another person, not jesus, was assigned by Lord Constantine, the MOST important day of the calendar, as birth date. Point really, six days before Christmas, is this: no one knows when jesus of nazareth was born, or even if he was actually born in nazareth, or if he was semitic, and not african. We have no idea what he looked like, what he thought, or what he believed. All we have are Lord Constantine's approved anecdotes about him. Objectively, one ought to be praying to Lord Constantine. He is the editor of the "bible". Without his intervention, there would be no "bible". Can we imagine how apoplectic "Sir" or "Saint" Thomas More would have been upon learning of the existance of kohlrak's version of the bible? Even worse: kohlrak's notion of "Democratic ... 'mijority' [sic] ... reading", as though it were permissible to voice an opinion on the veracity of one translation or another??? Burn him alive at the stake, along with all the other heretics!
Smile
Post 19 Dec 2007, 13:40
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
Post 19 Dec 2007, 14:16

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: