flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Copyright

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
kohlrak

kohlrak
I doubt anyone will go through self modifying code just to see if you copied their crap. But i agree, this patenting and copyrighting is bull. I can see a software package like visual studio or even fasm. I could make alot of royalties if i copywrited xor. I could have all of MS' assets if i decided that they violated my copyright. It's rediculous. It's the same with music in my opinion. What if 2 people just happen to come up with the same damn tune!? I'm half afraid to make a decent game or im because of xfire vs yahoo. it's rediculous.
Post 02 Dec 2007, 00:53
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
edfed

edfed
just code your good program.
we all know it's your program
if we see someone on the web that claim it's his, we will be very disapointed. and it's the same for fasm. if someone says:

I AM THE AUTOR OF FASM, ALL RIGHT RESERVED, what will we do?

I let you guess!

( me i think about a big hack attack from the Freakazoïd Kid of this Forum, if he does exists. and a justice attack from Tomasz )
Post 07 Dec 2007, 04:41
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
Seems there are some misconceptions about things here.

With copyrighted material it is usually easy to determine the originator of the work. In most countries copyright is automatically assumed without the author having to do anything special. Doing things like posting your code to a public board (like this one) will provide a clear time stamp and will easily prevent anyone else from successfully claiming it as theirs. lawyers/judges/police etc. are not stupid (regardless of what some people like to believe), if you have a clear and cut case of plagiarism then it will be no problem to show that you are the originator.

Companies like Microsoft cannot copyright xor. That would be silly. You can't copyright one word. You copyright works of art. Also the claimant would have to prove they actually were the first to write it. The actual only legal thing they could do with one word like xor is to trademark it (xor tm). But once again that would still not stop anyone from using it in code because you can't write code without using xor and no one can have claim over code you write unless your use of xor was to infringe on whatever the xor trademark is meant to cover. Trademarks are not general as many people believe, they are very specific and normal use of words in phrases using trademarked terms does not require any special consideration for trademarks. Think of the most common trademark "windows". I have windows in my house so that I can see outside. I don't need to put TM's everywhere when the context is completely unrelated to the windows that the trademark is covering (i.e. windows operating system for computers).
Post 07 Dec 2007, 14:11
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
xanatose

xanatose
Well, Apple is a word, maked propietary in the computer business by a company. and M$ have bullied a lot of people if their company name even resembles Microsoft (Remember Michael Soft?). Or if something has windows in its name (Even if Window is an english word AGES befores M$ was even tough of).

So the law might say something but the reality is that the law is for the ones that have the money to pay someone to go to court. Everybody else its basically on their own.
Post 08 Dec 2007, 10:12
Yardman

Yardman
[ Post removed by author. ]

Last edited by Yardman on 17 Jan 2012, 18:03; edited 1 time in total
Post 08 Dec 2007, 10:41
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
xanatose: if you refer to apple as in the fruit, then Apple the computer company cannot touch you. The same principle with windows as in transparent glass and Windows as in GUI OS.

But, however, if you make a GUI based computer system, and then call it M. S. Windows, that would be a product that directly competes with another product the trademarked term covers (eg. MS Windows), now you will have the lawyers chasing you.

Yardman: wxWidgets is a GUI product, so I am not surprised MS did all they could to stop the possible confusion the general public would rightly have about the origin of wxWindows.
Post 08 Dec 2007, 11:03
edfed

edfed
i propose the UFO NOSS licence
Use FOr NOn Steal Style
use it but don't steal it!
exact terms are not completely defined
but one thing is sure
i want this licence to exist
applied to asm source code
open source oriented.
the UFO NOSS licence makes applications and function in asm, not owned by the autor and not ownable by anybody, but the autor is known and his name must be in source.
as this, the original autor can be congratuled and then obtain a grade.
used in conjunction with the fasm board.
if a code make a problem, you can post the problem to the autor with a PM

this licence name is just fo fun
UFO NOSS ...YEAH!
Post 11 Dec 2007, 22:44
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
Quote:

the UFO NOSS licence makes applications and function in asm, not owned by the autor and not ownable by anybody, but the autor is known and his name must be in source.
as this, the original autor can be congratuled and then obtain a grade.

I think that most if not all of the free licenses already do this, there is an original author but since he applies a free license to his/her creation no one owns it. This means that the license is applied to the original author as well so he/she can't regret of making the release with the license. He/She can stop applying the license to a given software on future releases, but any release made with a free license must kept free forever (no retro-activity of licenses).
Post 11 Dec 2007, 22:56
edfed

edfed
new term of UFO NOSS
if the autor want's to make a non free release of his code, he can by make some modifications in the code, but the UFO NOSS is still avaiable for the use of original UFO NOSS code.

if a code is UFO NOSS, it means it's an asm code
this code is just a way to make something, so, why copyrighting a way?
Post 11 Dec 2007, 23:09
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
Quote:

this code is just a way to make something, so, why copyrighting a way?

Never said that, I just said licenses already have the attributes you proposed (except the part that you apply the restriction that it must be ASM-only).
Post 11 Dec 2007, 23:24
edfed

edfed
ASM only licence is needed, not only for autor protection, but for function update.

do you see what i mean with UFO NOSS
the licence is function and code oriented
the code already exist, you can use it
don't exist, you must create it

i want to apply this licence to my OS
you can use it, but you cannot say it's your code, cause there is a proof on fasm board.
Post 11 Dec 2007, 23:29

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: