flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Bomb threat (Your opinion requested)...

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
kohlrak

kohlrak
I thought i would propose this to you for your personal amusement while educating you on how stupid people of today really are. It may be hard for those of you who are in cultures where this is more common or where there are stricter or more relaxed rules in your systems. I apologize if you can't follow, for i am really bad at telling things over long paragraphs as i'm sure you have seen in the past.

Here's one for you... Today at about 7:45 my time, some one calls my highschool and says "There's a bomb in the school. (Note: this wasn't said to me 'till later.)" The teachers (who knew what was going on) immediately evacuate the building (though it wasn't really difficult to get us to do so, because we're not used to hearing about this locally, but we hear often of shootings all over the country in other areas). Now, when thinking about this, i want you to look at it from the perspective of my culture in both country and local area (i'll try to provide enough details to assist in this). They have us stand outside in the parking lot, which borders the cafateria, where i was (some more may have been else where). Now it's hard for you to picture this, i know, nor is the actual picturing even important. So, they have us stand back according to how far we would normally stand from the building from a normal fire. 5 to 10 minutes later they decide that it would be better to back us up further. How nice of them to think of us. Furthermore, they decide another 5 to 10 minutes later that maybe instead, they should move us to a building in which we may find shelter (The middle school nearby). Now at this point, some of the students decided they've had enough and that it would be wiser to go home, not to mention i, and i'm sure others, could start to realize that no-one knows what they're doing or how to handle a situation like this. So, after about half an hour after we're all in the building, parents start comming in asking to see their children. They had us split up into two parts in the middle school, so the parents were lost and so were the un-organized staff. About that time i started to wonder about the poor elementary school (first 6 years of american school) who was across the street from the highschool, when it was so bad that we had to walk a block or two to hide in the middle school, and why they weren't evacuated. At about this time, we're all anxious to go home because none of us want to go back into the building. Then, a teacher instructed that whenever the students call their parents, they were to tell them whether they're in the cafateria or the aditorium (the two places where we were split up into). We all assumed that this was implying that we were free to go, since it was assumed by them that all of us were calling our parents. Well, we all started to leave, and they had us all return. At this point i wanted to sign myself out, because i'm 18 and therefor should be of the age where i can be called a private citizen and my own guardian if i please. Apparently, i cannot sign myself out. Didn't sit with me well. After an hour and a half (might i mention that the school itself has many lockers and places to check) where i later learned that less than 10 people supposedly checked the whole school. Only certain lockers and things were dis-arrayed, making many of us feel (as common sence would say with less than 10 people searching a big school) that it was not a thorough search. Later i found out that some teachers didn't even know what was going on. One teacher said that he thought there was a poisoness turtle on the loose. After school, i told my dad what had happened, and he was infuriated that no one told him anything. He believes that parents should be informed when something like this happens.

In short, the school was clearly unorganized, appears to be un-thorough, and very unconcerned for us, but more about how they look in the eyes of everyone else. Heck, it reminds me of hitler, for we all just diligently obeyed them into a dangerous situation which very well could have killed us. Now i'm curious on how many of you would have reacted in my culture in my situation, and how you would have reacted based on your culture and put into my situation.
Post 19 Nov 2007, 22:13
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
I think this only shows that bomb threat isn't such big thread, otherwise you would get good training what to to do in such case. HyperVista or Tom Tobias could told you how well they were trained to protect from communist bombs.
Post 19 Nov 2007, 22:19
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
kohlrak

kohlrak
In our back-woods town, though, is considered so rare that it's not important, but a big deal when we do get one. The biggest fact of the matter is, when we finally get one, very few precautions were taken, and even when they were, they weren't well organized. Makes you wonder what would happen if there really was a bomb, if there were to be a shooting, a natural disaster, or something else. If something were to really happen, what would be done? Would thet same precautions take place? Would they be ready or the same? We have fire drills once a month, if even that, despite the likely-hood of a fire. Severe weather drills are general, not one for hurricane, one for tornado, and one for flood. Fact of the matter is, the school isn't far from a river so flooding is likely, the school isn't far from the east coast of the country, which means we could come accross a hurricane, and history has it that tornados do occasionally come through the state. We're prepared for general things. We get a bomb threat and we treat it like a fire drill. We get a flood, tornado, hurrican, or anything else, we sit in the hallway with our heads between our legs (i'm not joking, they actually line us up out in the hall and tell us to stick our heads between our legs.

Also, i forgot to note that anyone who left was marked as illegally absent, despite the fact that they might be scared and that it might even be smart to leave.
Post 19 Nov 2007, 22:31
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
asmfan

asmfan
Here in Russia it was a well known prank (basically in elementary/middle school) in past century (of past millenium) when there weren't such hi-tech methods to find out the caller. and the young pranksters time to time used this method to cancel exam or some difficult composition. All the people were evacuated outside and left home. Everybody knew that no bomb inside, no cause to put it there but safety is safety. After nano era came, few pranksters were caught, their parents had to pay big money for disturbing police other services etc. And everybody understood that it would be cheaper to write some exam or composition than to put a virtual expensive to their parents bomb.
I think you should more afraid not possible illegal bomb inside the school but LEGAL weapon in the classmate's bag.
I dislike that fact that in some countries anyone can freely legally buy a gun. "Mighty power" in someone's pocket... some times in wrong pocket alas.
Post 20 Nov 2007, 17:20
kohlrak

kohlrak
For the easiest to hide guns (letahl pistols [you don't need one for B.B. Pistols which are considered harmless for the most part]) you have to have a licence to hold. The other weapons are for hunting, which is a big thing in areas like mine, but usually you have to have a bow (archery hunting) or something with a long barrel which would be pretty hard to use. The real problem is with non-hunting and self defence weaponry, which should be illegal (assuming it isn't, which i'm not sure) such as automatics. Problem with gun control in some countries (especially mine) is that hunting is considered a tradition (and, paradoxically good for the animals being hunted according to biologists) and very few people oppose hunting. But yes, that is also a fear for us, but a bomb is a little harder to control than a gun, and bombs these days can be made out of just about anything. And i agree with your government on this issue, though later released a *RUMOR* that they stopped the search because they traced the call and arrested the kid who made the threat, while all my sources of that rumor are shakey. Fact is, safety should have come first, and as far as i can see, it was honor that came first.
Post 20 Nov 2007, 21:07

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: