flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Whooops...

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
bitRAKE

bitRAKE
Just spent two hours debugging to find out that I somehow deleted one line of code:
Code:
mov cls.hInstance, eax    
...yeah, feeling really dumb. So, let me explain the symptoms to save someone else the headache. (Maybe?):

First of all the CreateWindow function does not return. Of course, this is a big clue. So, I thought something was wrong with my WndProc. Yeap, it's getting messages, but only seven (81h,83h,1,5,3,18h,46h, nothing else). Well, I am only handling one of those, so that must be the problem! I must have traced though WM_CREATE handler a couple dozen times.

Finally, I decided to just remove the WM_CREATE handler; checked the CreateWindow parameters; and that lead me back to the class definition. Again, several times over the source and tracing in Ollydbg - staring right at it! Took a break for some food and came back. Hm...why is hInstance zero?

Okay, back to work...
Post 26 Oct 2007, 20:58
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
isn't it to put values into hInstance you need to use
Code:
mov [cls.hInstance],eax

?
Post 26 Oct 2007, 21:00
bitRAKE

bitRAKE
Sorry, about that - you are correct for FASM syntax.
I was translating some code from MASM to FASM.
Post 26 Oct 2007, 21:02
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
bitRAKE

bitRAKE
Uh, another problem is driving me up the wall. WM_QUIT isn't getting to the application message loop. WM_CLOSE and WM_DESTROY get to the WndProc; but the app just hangs after all the windows close.

Maybe, I should just call it a night...
Post 27 Oct 2007, 03:40
sinsi

sinsi
From the SDK
Quote:

The WM_QUIT message is not associated with a window and therefore will never be received through a window's window procedure. It is retrieved only by the GetMessage or PeekMessage functions.
Post 27 Oct 2007, 03:49
bitRAKE

bitRAKE
Yeah, problem was that I was sending the main window handle to GetMessage - only a NULL works to get WM_QUIT.

Thank you, on to the next problem...
Post 27 Oct 2007, 04:06
f0dder

f0dder
Heh, I don't even have count of the times I've been driven crazy because of a WNDCLASS problem or WM_CREATE boo-boo. Or, for that matter, using the hwnd parameter for GetMessage in the main MessageLoop (don't do that).
Post 27 Oct 2007, 08:33
edfed

edfed
Post 27 Oct 2007, 11:59

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: