flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Cryostasis....

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
kohlrak

kohlrak
Well, i have some seeds here for peppers, but i don't know if they'll last if i let them sit out all winter, since i can't grow them here during the winter. Would freezing them in the freezer help any, or would that kill it too? I figured i'd ask you guys since we always seem to do more science stuff than programming stuff, hence why i havn't been comming here often, aside from the fact of little time due to school and girlfriend. Well, any ideas?
Post 27 Sep 2007, 20:16
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
farrier

farrier
kohlrak,

Peppers grow like weeds here! Hot, sweet, banana, jalapeƱo, ... At the end of each season, we pick out a good looking pepper from each variety, and let it grow on the vine till it starts to dry. Let the pepper and seed dry out completely, then we store the dried seeds in a zip lock bag to keep them separate and dry. Works every year.

What do you grow?

farrier

... the right of the people peaceably to assemble, ...
The code is dark, and full of errors!
Post 28 Sep 2007, 01:28
kohlrak

kohlrak
I'm not used to growing pappers, but some one just have me havanero... So, you're telling me that i should let the seeds try and then plant them next year? I always thought drying would hurt them. XD
Post 28 Sep 2007, 01:32
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel
Quote:
I always thought drying would hurt them.

Most of the time dipping seeds in water for 24 or 48 hours can generally "revive" dried ones.
In fact, even those supposedly sterilized and dead beans (and probably anything else) you buy in packets at the market and cook can be replanted at any time.
Post 28 Sep 2007, 11:25
farrier

farrier
kohlrak,

ManOfSteel is right, many seed do better when they are revived prior to planting by soaking in water. But if you look at the seeds you plant for peas, beans, corn... they are as hard as a rock/pebble. If you try to store seeds over the winter without drying them, they can rot or grow fungus.

What I do freeze is the pepper themselves; sometimes whole and sometimes cut in strips or diced. Sometimes alone and sometimes mixed with onions.

Now, I'm hungry, gonna go cook!!

farrier

... the right of the people peaceably to assemble, ...
The code is dark, and full of errors!
Post 28 Sep 2007, 14:59
kohlrak

kohlrak
Got a yellow and almost red one stored in freezer. (Picked under-ripe he said.) So, hopefully that'll work. I have no experience with peppers outside of dried and grinded peppers from the local Walmart. So anything you could tell me about them would be of help (how to dry them without causing rot, how big the plants grow, any green thumb tips, etc).
Post 28 Sep 2007, 20:26

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: