flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Building a computer using Wood and another using LEGO...

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Embrance

Embrance
Since the last time I modded my PC(not much,just made some holes to put some extra fans,and pretty much changed all cooling accessories)I wanted to make a PC from wood and another from LEGO.
However I have some thoughts and I would like peoples input on this.

1)I plastic and wood good or bad to make a case of.Will I have heating problems?Will the average temperature be higher than a metal case?
In both cases,except the CPU colling,I plan to add a cooler on the gfx card,and 3 10cm fans,2 in the back and 1 in the front. Also I willbe adding coolers onthe RAM as well.

2)My thought,is to make a mini-atx.It will be used as a simple computers,with good but not best gfx capabilities.It will have 512-1GB ram,a processor of 1Ghz-3Ghz,and a GFX card like 6600 Geforce, or one that is on-board but will have good capabilities.Other than these,there will be a lan card.Sound will be on board,since it will be a mini atx and i need to save space.Last It will have a HDD of 150-200GB.

I was inspired by seeing this:
http://www.poseidonguild.com/legos/onyx.php

but I dont want to build such a big case/pc.
Post 17 Sep 2007, 11:22
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
HyperVista

HyperVista
Embrace - check this LINK out.
Post 17 Sep 2007, 16:29
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DustWolf

DustWolf
1) Heating should not be a problem if you have airflow. If you have a fan in, fan out and make sure you didn't leave any component in some detached corner where the airflow won't reach it and you have nothing to worry about.

2) All seems good, except if you intend it to have cards it would be a wise idea to design your case in such a way that you have someplace to fix the PCI cards to, while leaving room for the plugs. In non-metal materials that may be hard to accomplish.

EDIT: Oh... don't know if you're quite as crazy as I am to actually try doing this wrong like I did but... there is a reason why the PSU has a metal case, the cooling ribs you see inside are polarized with -12V and unpleasant to the touch, so the PSU's case is metal with grounding. Now even if you don't remove the PSU case, it would still be a good idea to ensure the grounding / shielding is connected everywhere as it should be.
Post 17 Sep 2007, 18:41
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
Embrance

Embrance
Another idea I have,is to get a motherboard with an on-board gfx card,sound card,lan card,maybe WiFi,and at least 4 usb slots. This way I save myself from making difficult task,as there wont be any need for it to have an internal HDD.Everything will be external.This way I reduce the size as well.
Post 17 Sep 2007, 19:31
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
Picnic

Picnic
Never saw those lego Pc's before Embrance, i really like them!
I think that my baby daughter will destroy them in a few seconds.
She will jump on them .. Smile
Post 19 Sep 2007, 20:04
Embrance

Embrance
Progress report: I have done a 200$ investment(well i bought some other pieces as well like weapons and stuff like that to play some tabletop RPGs)
I should have them by the end of the next week.
Post 20 Sep 2007, 22:38

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: