flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Windows XP takes too much time to start - help me!

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
OzzY

OzzY
Hi!
My Windows XP takes too much time to start.
It loads, but I can't access the internet until it loads all processes, which takes like 5 minutes.

How to solve this?
My friend has a worse machine and it starts faster.
I guess it's some services I should disable.

Anyone can help me?

Thanks
Post 07 Sep 2007, 03:37
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
If possible, FORMAT. If not, then, if you have AV software or all the other shitty things that claims it helps to keep your computer healthy then delete them too.

They only worst thing than malwares are the resident anti-malwares, they keep active as the malware but consumes a lot more resources!!

Of course some people will not agree with me expecially because I'm meaning that all that software is essencially as bad as the malware is. I'm being a little bit sarcastic except for the part of the resources consumption which is sadly true and is the price you have to pay to believe that you are really protecting your PC (apart of the license when appliable).

PS: Note that it is normal if you log in after few time the wellcome screen appeared that the networking does not work for a while but certainly in my computer the networking takes no more than 1 minute to start working.
Post 07 Sep 2007, 04:00
sinsi

sinsi
Have a look and see if you can find BOOTVIS
Post 07 Sep 2007, 04:02
Embrance

Embrance
DONT format.Do what I tell you and you will be ok.Get the latest version of TuneUp Utilities,and run everything on there.Then get PerfectDisk,which actually does defrag an HDD not like Windows defrag which does shit in any possible case,and you will be fine.Also using TuneUp Ut,remove everything you dont need to start with your computer during the boot.Thats it.
Post 07 Sep 2007, 05:17
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
OzzY

OzzY
I won't format because when I installed WinXP the first time it was already this way. And even without AV it was slow.
So, AVIRA AntiVir adds nothing to the startup time.

I think it might be some services I should disable.

Thanks, Embrance! I'll try Tune Up!
Post 07 Sep 2007, 05:49
DustWolf

DustWolf
OzzY wrote:
I won't format because when I installed WinXP the first time it was already this way. And even without AV it was slow.
So, AVIRA AntiVir adds nothing to the startup time.

I think it might be some services I should disable.

Thanks, Embrance! I'll try Tune Up!

Beware most "tune up" style applications are not to be trusted as they are the most common thing besides screensavers and smileys that are all spyware and no use.

It is a better idea to figgure out what the tune up apps do, understand why they do it and then do that yourself. Per my experience they don't do much, so it's easy to read up.

Going into the MMC and disabling services before you have a complete idea on what they are there for is also a bad idea as in windows, problems related to services that are disabled and shouldn't be are some of the hardest to trace. Some relations there are even completely undocumented, for example the one between NetDDE and Automatic Updates.

So... talking 5 minutes at boot I'd say your computer is too slow to properly handle Automatic Updates, so just disable it and see if anything improoves on next boot. Other than that, the best idea is to put "page faults delta" into your task manager display and do your best to start up Task manager as soon as you can durring boot.

Also... what sort of interenet connection do you have on that computer?
Post 07 Sep 2007, 11:22
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
OzzY

OzzY
Hi!
I runned Tune Up Utilities.
Then I disabled some services.
Cleaned the registry, and temp files.
Did a complete scan with AV and Anti_Spyware.
Defragmented the disk.
Uninstalled some unused applications.

Now start up is about 1 minute or less.
Smile

DustWold, my connection is an ASDL connection.
So, I disabled DHCP as I don't have DHCP service and will never have.

It seems it's much better now. Not like Arch Linux, but that's another thing.
Arch Linux just rocks because it's possible to configure every piece of the OS, so there everything starts in 20 seconds! Laughing
Post 07 Sep 2007, 16:28
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
Is your modem ethernet? If it is the case and the modem is directly attached to the NIC then uncheck TCP/IP or set a manual IP to prevent waiting for IP acquiring (apart of the fact that it is useless to have services enabled on a NIC connected to a bridge mode modem). I have my router PC with all the elements disabled in the NIC that has attached the modem and works just great.
Post 07 Sep 2007, 16:51
drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine
The last time I had such problems I was told to upgrade, so I got Linux.
Post 08 Sep 2007, 13:19
Plue

Plue
Why don't use hibernation?
Post 09 Sep 2007, 09:24
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
Is it REALLY reliable? Besides, the DHCP discovery must be done again after restoring which probably that was Ozzy's problem (because there is no DHCP server anywhere).
Post 09 Sep 2007, 14:26
DustWolf

DustWolf
Plue wrote:
Why don't use hibernation?

Windows is engineered to be rebooted every now and then. Shutting it down at the end of the day (and not hybernating) is the least you can do to maintain system stability.
Post 09 Sep 2007, 17:19
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
Speak for yourself, I don't need to shutdown it, actually when it is shuted down is due to power interruptions that almost every month happens...

I fully agree with you if you talk about Win9x/Me that needs to be rebooted every hour to pretend "stability", otherwise I just agree with "engineered to be rebooted" since many windows updates needs reboot.
Post 09 Sep 2007, 18:29
DustWolf

DustWolf
LocoDelAssembly wrote:
Speak for yourself, I don't need to shutdown it, actually when it is shuted down is due to power interruptions that almost every month happens...

I fully agree with you if you talk about Win9x/Me that needs to be rebooted every hour to pretend "stability", otherwise I just agree with "engineered to be rebooted" since many windows updates needs reboot.

I forgot the exact reference to the part of it that was sortof meant to be rebooted every now and then or I would provide it (I think it's the RTC ISR thing or something in regards to memory managment), so in other words it's not a mere myth that windows needs to be restarted every now and then.

Now I know that windows seems to work fine over long periods of time (my own system had an uptime of about 4 months until I decided that wasn't very healthy), but that doesn't mean the system is actually supposed to work right under such conditions.
Post 10 Sep 2007, 02:05
f0dder

f0dder
DustWolf: I wonder why there's NT servers with several years of uptime, then? This sounds like typical anti-ms propaganda to me.

On the other hand, most linux boxes I've seen haven't been able to keep time running reliable without NTP... One box with 369 days uptime (p3-celeron-1.3GHz) is skewed 1h20m, unfortunately the other long-running box (p4-celeron-2.8GHz) went off due to a power-off, but it was skewed around 20min.

EDIT: there's one very real issue with long uptime though, and that's GetTickCount() wraparound. Moronic software depending on GetTickCount() for timekeeping will have some problems.

EDIT2: http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/today/top.avg.html - where's linux? :]
Post 10 Sep 2007, 08:42
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
Never minded about clock skews Razz Do you now how good other OSes works at it? (Supposing that NTP is disabled in Windows also and any other OS).

About the GetTickCount, it is supposed that some Win9x versions crashes when you pass the magic limit (apart of the moronic software that behaves disrespectfully with the modular arithmetic).
Post 10 Sep 2007, 12:49
DustWolf

DustWolf
f0dder wrote:
EDIT2: http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/today/top.avg.html - where's linux? :]

Even if Linux servers don't usually run the uptime project thing... Nearly all Linux servers I have seen out there have an uptime equal to their entire lifespan (Linux install - reboot - run - several years - hardware malfunction - shutdown - server replaced).

The last Windows server installation I had had to be rebooted fourteen(!) times before it even started working what it was supposed to and later had to be rebooted whenever a server role was added or removed.
Post 10 Sep 2007, 15:47
DustWolf

DustWolf
LocoDelAssembly wrote:
(Supposing that NTP is disabled in Windows also and any other OS).

For the record, the Windows Time Service does NOT use NTP.
Post 10 Sep 2007, 17:02
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly

However it failed after several retries so, which protocol uses when works?

[edit]PS: SNTP you mean?[/edit]
Post 10 Sep 2007, 19:11
f0dder

f0dder
Afaik the windows time service does use NTP, but it doesn't have all the "fancy stuff" a normal NTP client has, but simply sets the time directly from the value it gets from the NTP server... but that could be *u*x propaganda, haven't looked into it myself.
Post 10 Sep 2007, 22:35
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: