flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > "The Computer" from a Java programmers's world

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
DustWolf

DustWolf
See attached picture.

This is actually a scan from a college textbook. So to be clear this is not off some rouge website of scriptkiddies but from something that people are supposed to be studying from.

The thing is tho.. according to college philosophy you're still supposed to accept this as Fact, wether you agree with it or not. Razz

I'm like.. worried! Shocked

Description:
Filesize: 41.4 KB
Viewed: 1109 Time(s)

java view of the world.jpg

Post 03 Sep 2007, 19:45
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
tom tobias

tom tobias
Sorry to be so dense, (and no, I am not the author of the book!), but, umm, what is wrong with the diagram???
Isn't it just an (obviously simplified) overview of a computer from a functional point of view?
Is there some sort of glaring omission, or false impression??
Shocked Maybe I need to eat more celery, or drink less beer....? I just don't see the problem with it....
Post 03 Sep 2007, 20:04
kohlrak

kohlrak
There's some other goodies in this book, too, if you want to read it.

Some Background Info: It was suggested to our school by the Advanced Placement Program here in the United Sates. Basically, it's a program where you can skip the course your taking, and maybe they'll pay a bit of your collage fees (not exactly sure how it works). Basically, this is supposed to be top quality material. And sadly, to get the benefits of the program, i have to know the lies.

"Fundamentals of Java: AP* Computer Science Essentials for the A Exam - Third Edition" by Kenneth Lambert and Martin Osborne

More cutely: "Printed in Canada" XD

The US has it's hands full.

EDIT: Tom... It's RAM, CPU, and I/O... That's it...
Post 03 Sep 2007, 20:05
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
DustWolf

DustWolf
tom tobias wrote:
Sorry to be so dense, (and no, I am not the author of the book!), but, umm, what is wrong with the diagram???
Isn't it just an (obviously simplified) overview of a computer from a functional point of view?
Is there some sort of glaring omission, or false impression??
Shocked Maybe I need to eat more celery, or drink less beer....? I just don't see the problem with it....

Nothing obviously wrong with it until you realize that at that level of simplifcation it would not be wrong in any way if those connections were arranged in ANY other way.

But let's stay realistic, that diagram is intended for newcomers to the world of computing architecture, no doubt with the intention in mind to, somewhere along the line, teach them the principles of Von Neuman computing.

I can very clearly imagine a class of Java programmers who will argue viciously that the internet, screen and speakers connect to the CPU and the Scanner and floppy disk to the RAM, none of which is not nearly true not in the wildest abstraction of computer theory (since, for starters, the soundcard and video card both rely heavily on direct MEMORY access and floppy disk controllers rely on CPU ISRs to function as far as I can recall).
Post 03 Sep 2007, 20:28
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: