flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Math vs Computer Science - share your opinion

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
OzzY

OzzY
Hello!
My university IT course, teaches to much math / calculus / company adminstration / statistics / marketting / non-IT-stuff and very little computer-related stuff like programming, hardware, OS, etc.

Is it normal?
I hate calculus so much! And they teach very basic programming that I knew when I was 14.
This is getting me very bored about the course.

Is it just me? Or are there anyone in same situation?
Do you like calculus? Do you think it really is related to computer science?
For example, I can see lots of jobs that are IT-related that you don't need more than basic math.
Do you use calculus for doing a PHP website? That's one example.

I only can see use of calculus if I'm doing calculus related programming.
But, if we will study everything because we MAY NEED, we'll study also medicine, because we may write a program to controll some hospital.

Share your thoughts.
Also, post if you're IT student, professional programmer or just hobby programmer.
Post 21 Aug 2007, 22:39
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
What is the name of your career at the university?

At my University (UNLP), and more presicelly at my faculty, we see a lot more of IT-related stuff than maths. Since your language nearly matchs Spanish I think you can read my study plan with not much trouble.

Maths is important, at least I think that Linear Algebra is since in courses like Algorithms & Datastructures we use it a lot to calculate times. Also, in some courses we see program verification in which programs are not tested with debugging but with mathematical proofs to see if it works (I never took that course yet and in the 2003 plan it is optional).

Note that I'm not finished the career yet, it is supposed that I should be in the phase of writing my thesis but unfortunately I'm very far Sad

I'm a Bachelor in Computer Science student. (Hopefully getting the degree in this life)
Post 21 Aug 2007, 23:34
OzzY

OzzY
I'm a Bachelor in Computer Science student too.

Hmm... I've read your study plan. Mine has much more math. Sad
I think I have all you have on your study plan, but on mine it's mostly at the end of the course.

Some things I have 2. For example, "Arquitectura de Computadoras" (arquitetura de computadores in portuguese) I have I and II. Which I think it's great, because it talks about processors and assembly.

First 3 years it's just math with little algorithm introduction. Sad
I don't like math very much. I just like logical thinking and programming.
I'm very good at all computer related things like algorithms & datastructures, OOP programming, some hardware stuff, but I'm very bad at math.
Post 22 Aug 2007, 00:35
drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine
They don't call it Computer "Science" for nothing. It's the general study of the science of computers, most likely programming. Since you are to know the general field of computer programming, then you get that, so you know how to use PHP for web sites or assembly for embedded controllers or C for the space shuttle. So, of course a lot of math is involved.
Post 22 Aug 2007, 04:12
drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine
They don't call it Computer "Science" for nothing. It's the general study of the science of computers, most likely programming. Since you are to know the general field of computer programming, then you get that, so you know how to use PHP for web sites or assembly for embedded controllers or C for the space shuttle. So, of course a lot of math is involved.
Post 22 Aug 2007, 04:15

I am a Bachelor of Science in Information Systems.

I had following in my 3 yrs course:

* Discrete Mathematics (Only 1st year)
* Java
* C++
* Web Programming
* Network Administration

(\
 /\  

Post 22 Aug 2007, 05:02
tbohon

tbohon
I hold a BS in Mathematics and an MBA in Quantitative Methods (statistics, simulation, production/operations management, etc.) and have been a full-time professional programmer/systems analyst for over 41 years. At only a few times in that career have I used my math knowledge directly - once was in writing scientific subroutines for a military project to which I was assigned and the other was in writing intensely complex radar simulations, again for a military project.

HOWEVER ... not a day goes by that the discipline learned in solving Calculus, Linear Algebra, etc. problems doesn't come into play. From my (sometimes painful) study of mathematics, I learned a disciplined approach to problem solving which is 99%+ of what a computer professional does every day of his/her working life. Mathematics has allowed me to be very successful and to gain a reputation as the 'go to' guy - the one who can look at a problem, break it into parts and come up with a solution when others are overwhelmed or confused and don't know how to proceed. It's a valuable skill, believe me.

So, my suggestion is that you embrace the mathematics and learn the techniques and reasoning behind each technique. Try to relate what you're learning to something in the computer science arena. You may not use your mathematics training directly as you move forward but you WILL be using it at some level in almost everything you do. As an added benefit, having a background in mathematics will also open other doors during your career.

Best of luck!

Tom
Post 31 Aug 2007, 14:24

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: