flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > VC++ 7.1 vs 8.0

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
OzzY

OzzY
I've heard 7.1 optimizes better. Is it really true?
Post 20 Aug 2007, 05:23
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
where have you "heard" it?
Post 20 Aug 2007, 08:36
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
Maverick

Maverick
It's not, by far. It's just that VS8.0 enables by default a lot of ultracrap which makes the code slower. But if you know your settings, VC80 is a superior compiler and optimizer than VC7.1 for 101% sure.
Post 20 Aug 2007, 10:36
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
f0dder

f0dder
Maverick: "ultracrap" like buffer overrun protection?

IMHO this is a good thing for a lot of code, especially legacy stuff that uses C string functions (most people don't know how to use those safely, and some of it can't be used safely at all).

You obviously don't want this for your code and I'm still in mixed minds whether I want it for mine... but it doesn't mean that it's generally "ultracrap".
Post 20 Aug 2007, 11:31
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Maverick

Maverick
f0dder: it's "ultracrap" because enabled by default, only because of this.

Of course, whatever I write is my own opinion. If I was another programmer and somebody enabled by default C-interpretation instead of C-compilation, I'd call it "ultracool".

But I'm stating the obvious here, ain't I.

Yes, I'm not a fan of Microsoft and I don't miss any occasion to bash on them, you know.
Post 20 Aug 2007, 13:12
Artlav

Artlav
VC8 has too many options.

Tweaked it, compiled the program - half of the users report crashes, tweaked it again - other half of the users report crashes, tweaked it some more - most users got it working, least report weird things. And like that for every program.

VC6 was much better in that regard, VC7 is somewhere in the middle.

Having a lot of options in a program can be useful, but can also be a nightmare of setting them all properly, especially when half of them are irrelevant and third of them incomprehensible.
Post 20 Aug 2007, 15:17
Vasilev Vjacheslav

Vasilev Vjacheslav
and both have a bugs
Post 07 Sep 2007, 04:13
Maverick

Maverick
The rain falls from the sky.
Post 07 Sep 2007, 06:19
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
Quote:
Tweaked it, compiled the program - half of the users report crashes, tweaked it again - other half of the users report crashes, tweaked it some more - most users got it working, least report weird things. And like that for every program.

I hope you don't think that those crashes were bugs in compiler. I find that very unprobable.

Can you give examples which options cause "weird results" for you?

Quote:
Having a lot of options in a program can be useful, but can also be a nightmare of setting them all properly

yes, but it is only once-per-life nightmare, after that you know options and have more control over things. So this nightmare is IMHO worth of dreaming through...

Quote:
especially when half of them are irrelevant and third of them incomprehensible.

like which?
Post 09 Sep 2007, 15:10
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
Furby

Furby
the crap is added by VS8.0 if the switch /clr is on Razz
Post 15 Sep 2007, 09:22

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: