flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Supercomputing using FPGAs

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
General Purpose, Low Power Supercomputing Using Reconfiguration (YouTube)
General Purpose, Low Power Supercomputing Using Reconfiguration (Google Videos)

ABSTRACT wrote:
The ability of FPGA technology to exploit the advances in IC fabrication technology has resulted in the present situation in which a FPGA computing fabric is the most power and area efficient approach for general purpose parallel computing. This has occurred because the Von-Neumann processor architectures are now power limited and can no longer fully exploit the technology advances (thus the move to multi-cores). Hardware composed of arrays of FPGA's and memory has been design that achieves a TeraOp/second of performance per board with over an order of magnitude higher efficiency for the computation per unit power over conventional microprocessors. To achieve these results, however, requires a high level of parallelism in the application program, which is typically not exposed in sequential programming languages. Even worse for application programmers, has been the low level of abstraction of FPGA hardware, which requires the user to be a hardware expert. It is believed that for any application that can be parallelized and streamed will presently achieve orders of magnitude speed-up for the same power and cost and even more importantly will have a power efficiency which will improve exponentially in each subsequent IC technology node.
Post 15 Aug 2007, 22:08
Maverick

Maverick
A bit better than the PIC SX on the XGameStation, ain't it Very Happy
Post 16 Aug 2007, 05:58
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DustWolf

DustWolf
The really interesting part is how to optimize any code we already can do into such capable of running on a FPGA.

FPGAs are great for signal processing for the simple reason that we currently can't really imagine much else on the parallel frontier, because all our curent technology is based on serial stuff. Take USB or Ethernet, even if you do use them with a FPGA you're still limited to their pathetic serial bandwidth and there isn't really much advantage you get using a FPGA instead of a clasic serial processor.

In the real world, there is some room for true parallelism in say graphics processing, where actual work needs to be done inbetween the clock cycles of your RAM, but that's it. I can't accept the point that FPGAs or even FPGA / CPU hybrids could only be usable in high processing environments like rendering graphics, predicting the weather or bashing your head against a wall.

It was stated and re-stated that FPGAs don't program well from sources like post-processed CPU code. Obviously most programers might have a little problem with coming to terms with the optimizations that could be done when using a FPGA CPU hybrid PC. So how could one? Somebody give me an example of a program or several that do something usable in the PC world that would work better with a FPGA add-on board.
Post 16 Aug 2007, 09:01
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
Passwords crackers? I remember a company that offered such service to recover protected documents in weeks.

I wonder how many MD5 brute forcers fits on the Cyclone II which comes with the Altera dev board (it has around 20K LEs). When I pass some exams I'll try to do that on Quartus and I hope I'll be able to perform simulations on software Very Happy
Post 16 Aug 2007, 13:04
Maverick

Maverick
By the way, if one has to make the board himself, then the CycloneIII is a much better choice than the II (termination resistors integrated, needs less decoupling capacitors, etc.. lotsa more memory, comes in QFP package at up to 40K LEs, draws less current, and is a superior IC anyway).
Post 17 Aug 2007, 08:07
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Madis731

Madis731
Nice listening and watching!
Post 19 Aug 2007, 11:51
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
Post 16 Oct 2008, 03:46
HyperVista

HyperVista
Pardon the slight off-topic, but it does deal with password recovery. These Russian guys have developed a rapid password recovery system by parallelling GPUs.

Link

FPGAs have facinated me for some time now, but I haven't had the time to dive in. Sad
Post 16 Oct 2008, 12:39
shoorick

shoorick
Quote:
(it has around 20K LEs)
remids me captain Nemo Smile
Post 16 Oct 2008, 13:26
bitRAKE

bitRAKE
Guess I'm doing well with less than 0.5 watt per GigaOP. Very Happy

Post 16 Oct 2008, 17:38

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: