flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > x86 Virtualizer

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
MazeGen

MazeGen
I've just found very interesting project with source codes:

https://www.openrce.org/blog/view/847/x86_Virtualizer_-_source_code
Post 10 Aug 2007, 08:25
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
f0dder

f0dder
Pretty bad code, full of magic numbers and not commented properly... but the idea is interesting Smile
Post 10 Aug 2007, 11:09
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ReWolf

ReWolf
f0dder wrote:
Pretty bad code, full of magic numbers and not commented properly... but the idea is interesting Smile

Twisted Evil I like magic numbers Laughing
Post 11 Aug 2007, 10:41
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
but people who have to work with other's code usually doesn't Wink
of course, you can write your code however you like.

by the way, welcome to the board
Post 11 Aug 2007, 12:17
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
Hicel

Hicel
Look interesting.. can anyone explain to me what is the purpose of this? why should you virtualize a x86 PE File to run virtualized .. it gets loaded into memory anyway.. I think I just don't get it because my english is not so good.. can anyone give a short explaination for a dumb guy like me Rolling Eyes
Post 03 Sep 2007, 22:15
HyperVista

HyperVista
Application virtualization is a pretty hot topic these days. Here is a pretty good article on application virtualization and the pros / cons. One of the best uses is application fault tolernance in a meshed network environment (large number of crucial transactions, for example).
Post 04 Sep 2007, 00:54
Hicel

Hicel
Thank you, so what i have understood from reading a bit more it redirects API calls for example (including Disk access, Registry Access and so on) and uses its own environment with bundled dlls and components.. needed for the application to make it windows version / setup.. independent?
Post 04 Sep 2007, 01:53
kohlrak

kohlrak
The way i interpret it, it'll basically do for windows what jar does for java (only it only works for dlls not all data files in a directory). It just looks for the DLLs and merges them with the EXE so it can stand alone? Such ability would allow it to make things like transparent windows on windows 95... And maybe get passed the DRM of vista when they decide to (and they will) software filter applications.
Post 04 Sep 2007, 05:39
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
MazeGen

MazeGen
We have to differentiate between full application virtualization (where the aplication has its own "virtual instance" of operating system) and the kind of virtualization which ReWolf has made. This approach tries to make a VM layer as thin as possible, thus consisting of just (transformed x86) instruction emulator.

The purpose is that it is a kind of protection. It is, of course, much more difficult to step through the original code and almost impossible to use code breakpoints. Or, if you try to use a memory breakpoint, you end up somewhere inside the VM emulator code and it is very difficult to recover the instruction hitting the breakpoint.
Post 04 Sep 2007, 07:21
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
Not counting if both, the emulated code and the emulator are MazeGenized Razz
Post 04 Sep 2007, 14:16

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: