flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > say no to NTFS, do FAT32 > 32GB now

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Borsuc

Borsuc
This is bullshit, I had a hard disk with 80 GB with FAT32 and it worked perfectly, how can it be limited to 32GB? I was planning on getting some flash drives and formatting them in FAT32 but is it truly limited to 32GB for some obscure reasons?

And I don't suffer from power shortages anyway since I have an UPS so that extra security point isn't really valid for me Wink

Post 19 Feb 2009, 00:48
DOS386

DOS386
> macrosoft official releases exFAT support for windows xp (need sp2 or sp3)
> http://support.macrosoft.com/kb/955704

Couldn't resist to bump exactly 1/2 year old thread Laughing Let us know when you have a full specification of the "technology" + FASM code Shocked

> i been waiting from 12 Aug 2007... almost a year + half.

I don't prefer waiting ... better working on my own FS now. Idea

Azu wrote:
IIRC windows can only handle FSs that are proprietary and undocumented, or slow, though

Let's ban the stuff Laughing

Azu wrote:
I thought we were talking about DOGs not DOSs..

Right Laughing
Post 19 Feb 2009, 06:30
rugxulo

rugxulo
DOS386 wrote:

Let us know when you have a full specification of the "technology" + FASM code Shocked

Apparently, some Linuxers haven't waited too long to start working (read-only support for now):

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/linux/kernel/1026144

DOS386 wrote:

Azu wrote:
I thought we were talking about DOGs not DOSs..

Right Laughing

http://www.acronymfinder.com/DOG.html

Quote:

Depend on God
Delay of Gratification
Dutch Oven Gathering
Digitally Originated Graphic
Disciples of Gaming (gaming clan)
Dance Off Gracefully
Daughters Of Godiva (interactive novel)
Detroiters Out to Get John Engler
Drop On Ground - Telephone
Dads of Gaming (forum)

Laughing
Post 19 Feb 2009, 06:45
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Azu

Azu
Disk Operating Genie Razz
Post 19 Feb 2009, 07:28
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
DOS386

DOS386
> Apparently, some Linuxers haven't waited too long to start working

Thanks to spinflipper4 at yahoo and Laaca ... 2 forums were not enough Laughing And, except that it's programming language patch instead FASM and has no spec ... did you ( or Laaca ) study the stuff before boasting ?
Post 19 Feb 2009, 07:46
shoorick

shoorick
i also had installed w2k with ntfs on 486 after some collisions with w98 and loosing data on fat32 - i much prefer stability then interface speed
Post 19 Feb 2009, 08:04
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
f0dder

f0dder
rugxulo: I wouldn't use NTFS for a 4GB usb pen... right filesystem for the job, etc... which certainly also means I wouldn't use any form of FAT for a modern harddrive.

Azu: it's too bad nobody has ported XFS (or ZFS) to Windows... it's possible to do so, though, and ext2 has already been ported (although I dunno if the project is still active). Wouldn't use Reiser after Hans was convicted, though - the future of that filesystem is just too uncertain, and with zfs, ext4 and btrfs coming up, well...
Post 19 Feb 2009, 08:24
Borsuc

Borsuc
f0dder, you are more knowledgeable into this Windows stuff, and since you haven't answered my question, I'll form it easier:

Can I use FAT32 on flash drives > 32 GB?

The reason I think it's bullshit not to is because I personally had an 80GB hard drive a while back and it was working perfectly with FAT32. If not it's another one of MS's total failures.

BTW of course Windows XP not Vista. Thanks.

Post 20 Feb 2009, 01:47
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
Borsuc: Yes you can, but you will need an external tool to initially format the drive. It has been discussed here before also. There are a few freely available tools for you download that will do the format for you. Sorry, I can't remember the name right now, but a bit of searching should reveal a suitable candidate tool. Good luck.
Post 20 Feb 2009, 02:26
Borsuc

Borsuc
Oh yes that must have been it then, so it's only the crappy Windows that can't format one, but it can use it after it's formatted?

Thanks. Smile
Post 20 Feb 2009, 02:46
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
It is only for initial format that you need an external tool. After that you can use it with WinXP. Try it.
Post 20 Feb 2009, 02:51
f0dder

f0dder
Why would you want to run FAT32 on a large hdd, though?

Perhaps it's silly of the formatter to disallow FAT32 on >32gig drives and NTFS on floppies, but... whatever Smile
Post 20 Feb 2009, 07:43
Borsuc

Borsuc
f0dder wrote:
Because that older computer used Windows 98 Razz

Post 20 Feb 2009, 17:11
f0dder

f0dder
Borsuc wrote:
f0dder wrote:
Because that older computer used Windows 98 Razz
Fair Smile

Post 20 Feb 2009, 17:42
Azu

Azu
f0dder wrote:
rugxulo: I wouldn't use NTFS for a 4GB usb pen... right filesystem for the job, etc... which certainly also means I wouldn't use any form of FAT for a modern harddrive.

Azu: it's too bad nobody has ported XFS (or ZFS) to Windows... it's possible to do so, though, and ext2 has already been ported (although I dunno if the project is still active). Wouldn't use Reiser after Hans was convicted, though - the future of that filesystem is just too uncertain, and with zfs, ext4 and btrfs coming up, well...
Whoever manages the Windows distros is free to do so. Those filesystems are all free and open sourced, so it should be pretty easy. AFAIK the company that puts the Windows distros together has their own little pet filesystem and are worried nobody would use it if the others were added, since it is atrocious in comparison. Kind of like how they are afraid including Firefox or Opera would completely kill their little browser (I forget what it's called, sorry).
Post 01 Mar 2009, 04:11
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
f0dder

f0dder
Opensource yes, free? Dunno, some of them are GPL Wink - so it could be "kinda problematic" for MS to include support for those filesystems. Atrocious in comparison to other systems from the same era? Based on what?
Post 01 Mar 2009, 17:17
Azu

Azu
Same era? Don't know. It's from way back in 1993. Definitely in comparison to systems nowadays, though.

As for GPL, they would just have to release their Windows distros under the GPL also. "Problem" solved.
Post 01 Mar 2009, 17:25

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: