flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Best GUI Toolkit/API?

Best GUI Toolkit/API?
Win32 API (C / C++ / ASM / almost all...)
46%
 46%  [ 7 ]
MFC (C++)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
WxWidgets (C++)
13%
 13%  [ 2 ]
Qt (C++)
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
FLTK (C++ with Cish API)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
GTK (C)
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Tk (Tcl. Ported to Perl, Python, etc)
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Ultimate++ (C++)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
SWING or SWT (Java)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Windows Forms (.NET platform)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
DFL (D)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Other (post a link)
20%
 20%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 15

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
OzzY

OzzY
Consider if it's cross-platform or not, and also the features and how clear is the API.
Also, how well it does run on Windows, Linux and Mac OS (if available on lots of OS's).
Explain why! Smile

Also, say how you use it (eg: if you use it with ASM, C or C++ or other);

The poll is defined this way:
(name) (primary language on it can be used, not considering the ports to other languages)

PS: Best does not being really mean *best*, but your favorite one based on some logic why you think it's better.
Post 07 Aug 2007, 20:59
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
Recently, i was interested in this topic too.

Very few GUI toolkits are usable in C/Asm. And also, it is not very wise thing to do, to create some more complex GUI in C/Asm Wink

If I would do portable GUI application in Asm, i would definitively try GTK. Otherwise, i have tried WxWidgets few times, and it is very fine.
Post 07 Aug 2007, 22:04
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
f0dder

f0dder
You really should limit the poll to a single programming language, as the available toolkit (and how easy/natural a toolkit is to use) depends a lot on the language...
Post 08 Aug 2007, 00:37
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
OzzY

OzzY
Well, I'm talking about the GUI toolkits themselves. Most of the have bindings to lots of languages.

When I'm programming with C++ I use FLTK, because it's fast, light, easy and has a GUI designer.
When I use scripting languages I use Tk, because it's the default on them, and also is pretty easy to get a GUi without a GUI designer.

With ASM the only options we have are native APIs.
I'm thinking about wrapping FLTK with macros to be used in FASM. Because FLTK is pretty light, and though its API is for C++, it's very Cish, like using char[] instead of C++ strings.
Post 08 Aug 2007, 01:49
DOS386

DOS386
Quote:
cross-platform or not, and also the features and how clear is the API. Also, how well it does run on Windows, Linux and Mac O

DOS, DexOS, ... Wink

Quote:
how you use it (eg: if you use it with ASM, C or C++ or other)

99% target to C++ Sad

Quote:
Best GUI Toolkit

1. NONE (since there is none Neutral so far ...) / raw VGA/VESA
2. DUGL (no FASM support yet Neutral ...)
3. WX (maybe Confused )
infinity/worst: .NET Crying or Very sad
Post 08 Aug 2007, 05:50
OzzY

OzzY
I find WxWidgets to be very bloated! =\
Ultimate++ looks like a better RAD tool.

Although these days I'm thinking that Tcl/Tk may be a better RAD than C++/Some GUI Toolkit.
Because Tcl as scripting language is very easy, and scripts can be shiped bundled in one .EXE with virtual file system and support for sockets, GUI, string manipulatin, Regular expressions, Http library and other things in less then 1 MB.
No C++ framework can bundle all these in less than 1 MB .EXE, and be portable in such a way you just need to build the executable for the target platform, and all dependencies are included in a single executable.
With Tcl/TK I can build stand-alone executables for any platform from a single platform. Like: I don't need to have a Mac to target Mac executables.
It has been my favorite programming tool. I don't see a reason to use C++ anymore. I either go low level and use FASM or go with full featured scripting/programming framework like Tcl/Tk.

Although I just bought Bjarne's C++ book! I'll begin to study it... maybe I'll like C++.
Post 08 Aug 2007, 06:01
KRA

KRA
Has anyone tested FOXTOOLKIT ?
Like FLTK it's small and crossplatform.
Heard that the file explorer in XUbuntu is written with it but otherwise
I have no real idea about how easy it is to work with.

I'm most used to the MFC,ATL,WTL packages that I personally feel are more usefull that the .NET shit M$ produced lately.
However ther is no crossplatoform support.
Post 08 Aug 2007, 06:22

Win32 -- Asm/C/C++ is clear winner (that's my prediction!) Smile

Reason:
You can use any language to program GUI on Windows!

(\
 /\  

Post 08 Aug 2007, 07:40
Plue

Plue
Every toolkit that does not use native widgets should be disqualified and their authors kicked around severely.
Post 10 Aug 2007, 12:51
OzzY

OzzY
It's very hard to find a good UI toolkit that uses native widgets. Either you stick to native API or use skins.
Also, with lots of skins on Windows Vista and Linux, the future is to not have a "native" GUI at all. Modern applications use skins.
Post 11 Aug 2007, 02:31
f0dder

f0dder
Most applications still - and thanks whatever_deity for that - use the native look on Windows. That native look can be skinned, sure, but it's still native and systemwide. People who make skinned apps should, generally, be shot.
Post 11 Aug 2007, 06:30
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
OzzY

OzzY
Well, from my tests, Win32API (of course), WxWidgets, Ultimate++, DFL, use or can use native looking widgets.

* DFL is a GUI toolkit for D with GUI designer. (WIndows only, but a Linux version will come in the future).

* WxWidgets is a full framework (not just GUI), and is very bloated (3MB for hello world). (cross-platform)

* Ultimate++ makes extreme use of C++ to build a RAD environment with clean API and IDE/GUI Designer. Instead of using an easy language, they makes things RAD by using C++ very well. Not too bloated (Minimal application is about 1MB depending on the compiler). (cross-platform)

For ASM, of course we must use Win32API on Windows and GTK on Linux, because sadly all others are for C++ and very hard to be used from ASM.

I still like FLTK better, because it's fast, light, has GUI designer, is easy, and small enough for static linking to about 140kb. Although it doesn't have native look, it can have very beautiful (and useful) widgets, and the API is C++ but more Cish without complicated things of C++.
Post 11 Aug 2007, 17:36
Furby

Furby
How to use SWING in ASM ?
Post 12 Aug 2007, 07:36
f0dder

f0dder
Furby wrote:
How to use SWING in ASM ?

Who in their right mind would even attempt to do that?

Post 12 Aug 2007, 20:43
Tommy

Tommy
OzzY, have you tried stripping the EXE afterwards and using shared library files? That certainly decreases the file size Wink
Post 13 Aug 2007, 21:41

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: