flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > New Laptop Won't Allow Anything but Vista!

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
HyperVista

HyperVista
I recently bought a new laptop that has Intel's VMX capability so that I can demo the x64-bit kernel programming and hypervisor at the upcoming fasm conference in Brno, Czech Republic. (and so that I can continue development and debug testing while I travel) Cool

As expected, the damn thing came pre-installed with Windows Vista ... no problem, I thought, I'll just simply fdisk and install Windows XP Pro x64. Wrong!! On every attempt, the Windows install reported that "no hard disks were detected on the machine" ..... WTF?? Shocked

What I came to realize after much frustration and a lot of searching is the hard disk controllers on this new machine won't recognize any OS earlier than Windows Vista Evil or Very Mad As soon as I tried to install Windows Vista x64, everything worked perfectly ... Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad This really pisses me off! It's like I don't own my machine.
Post 04 Aug 2007, 04:32
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote

That seems a really horrible situation to me!
Are we really trapped into the (Bill) Gates Of Hell?
Post 04 Aug 2007, 04:47
DOS386

DOS386
> This really pisses me off! It's like I don't own my machine.

F**K Sad

> Are we really trapped into the (Bill) Gates Of Hell?

Me not ... but try to reveal using DOS in a "serious" forum or even worse ask about a DOS version of a "serious" piece of software Laughing
Post 04 Aug 2007, 06:42
MichaelH

MichaelH
HyperVista, create a fat32 partition. Windows install program should then copy the files over needed to install itself to this partition and everything should work fine. You get the choose to convert that fat32 partition to ntfs during install.

If this doesn't work then you've more than likely got a faulty hard disk. XP will install, there is no microsoft conspiracy ..... well not in this case anyway.
Post 04 Aug 2007, 08:43
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
maybe u need to press F6 during XP installation, and give it a SATA/RAID driver (new laptop usually like that coz i just sold a few that need this technique to install windows xp)

* u need an external floopy disk to perform the above if using laptop.

if u have trouble to find the SATA/RAID driver, please give me ur laptop model number. i will try to help ya.
Post 04 Aug 2007, 09:41
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
I always thought those SATA/RAID drivers were included on installation CD, and were just optional. You say he may need 3rd party drivers? Can't they be on USB pen?
Post 04 Aug 2007, 10:51
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote

MichaelH wrote:
... there is no microsoft conspiracy ..... well not in this case anyway.

That's such a relief!
Actually I think Bill is a nice guy, see he donates so much to the poor
and needy!

(\
 /\  

Post 04 Aug 2007, 10:53
HyperVista

HyperVista
sleepsleep you are right! your suggestion led me to alter my search keywords and i found this from toshiba.

MichaelH - a very creative approach. thanks!

i think i will play with this problem after the fasm conference. it takes a while to get remote 1394 (firewire) debugging set-up and now that i have it working i can tolerate Vista just for the presentation and demo Confused

thanks again for all the suggestions.
Post 04 Aug 2007, 13:59
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DustWolf

DustWolf
So what was it in the end? What is the harddisk that it is not supported by int 13h? Is it a flash drive or something new or merely an actual RAID without int 13h?

I'd call it a crappy BIOS picked for the laptop if it doesn't even support the hardware the whole thing was built for.
Post 04 Aug 2007, 14:31
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
Dex4u

Dex4u
@DustWolf, i think HyperVista had this problem.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314859

NOTE: Any new window OS ver does not let you go back to a early ver, that why many people who tested vista beta were stuff.
Linux would of gone on fine.

PS: As for int 13h, i would say it should work OK.
Post 04 Aug 2007, 15:03
Niels

Niels
Hypervista,

It seems your notebook it too new or Vista too old Wink
Apparently it's a Toshiba... and it uses a chipset not recognized by Vista-Setup_Detection...

A similar thing you had e.g. installing NT4 on a system only having SCSI...

Niels
Post 04 Aug 2007, 15:53
HyperVista

HyperVista
Dex wrote:

yup! that's exactly right. the same issue sleepsleep identified. the hard disk controllers are not supported by the drivers contained on the WinXP installation disk. during the install, you have to inturrupt the process and designate the OEM SATA/RAID driver, which should be on a floppy disk.
Niels wrote:
It seems your notebook it too new or Vista too old

Laughing
Post 04 Aug 2007, 15:54
DustWolf

DustWolf
Dex4u wrote:

NOTE: Any new window OS ver does not let you go back to a early ver, that why many people who tested vista beta were stuff.
Linux would of gone on fine.

PS: As for int 13h, i would say it should work OK.

Well... Doesn't the Windows XP setup program use the BIOS code to access the harddisks? Does it implement its own drivers and ignore the access provided by BIOS?

I mean because on my computer Windows XP setup offers to install itself on the removable Flash drives connected on USB, which happen to be supported by the BIOS in this box.
Post 04 Aug 2007, 20:16
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
Dex4u

Dex4u
It must use int 13h for reading the boot sector, to boot XP.
So it must ignore access provirded by BIOS.
Post 05 Aug 2007, 03:40

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: