flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > I just ordered XGameStation! Woooohooo!

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
DustWolf

DustWolf
Maverick wrote:
Quote:
Have you any links to the software that typically works with these things?

Software? Sorry I don't think I understand the question. Here we are talking about FPGA, not CPU. What do you mean with software? If you mean development tools, then there's Altera Quartus II Web Edition (free) that you can download directly from the Altera site.

Cool thanks. I meant devolopment tools yeah.

Quote:
Quote:
Also, more on the hypothetical and debatable side... what do you think would be the best (read: easiest) communications protocol to use with a FPGA-based thingie to make a FPGA chip or two suitable as a data processing acceleration board on a modern PC?

*sigh* I miss ISA.

The PCI bus of course. Those FPGA's are very capable also of PCI Express.

So... this means I can get a board with a fpga and just slot it in or do I have to get a pci protoboard and solder a socket onto it?
Post 12 Aug 2007, 20:21
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
Embrance

Embrance
There is new guys.I just received my XGS and will start to assemble it tomorrow. Seems very limited(by judging from the docs and images that come with the CD)but as I said it will be more of a test on trying to put all the components together rather than doing anything serious on it.

I was wondering,does anyone have any good suggestion on buying part,development board etc from the net? I know only one site and hell,I cant afford(not now at least)500$ for a development board just for testing and pluging in stuff without knowing what they do,lol.

Also I was thinking if this is possible:
Get a FPGA, add 3 PCI slots. Will I be able to put in a PCI Modem(56k),a sound card etc? Also is it possible to add multiple processors? The idea is to have one to do each thing on its own. Like one 150-200Mhz for General use, one 100 for GFX etc.

Please if anyone had nay links for beginners post them. Thnaks a lot.
Post 15 Aug 2007, 02:16
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
Maverick

Maverick
DustWolf wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Also, more on the hypothetical and debatable side... what do you think would be the best (read: easiest) communications protocol to use with a FPGA-based thingie to make a FPGA chip or two suitable as a data processing acceleration board on a modern PC?

*sigh* I miss ISA.

The PCI bus of course. Those FPGA's are very capable also of PCI Express.

So... this means I can get a board with a fpga and just slot it in or do I have to get a pci protoboard and solder a socket onto it?

You can get a board with a FPGA and just slot it in, but those boards tend to cost around $1000 (no special reason for that, just market), with some notable exceptions, e.g. this board (which I don't own anyway and have never tested myself, so I cannot guarantee it's any good!).

If you have the skills, you can design and make the PCB yourself, and solder an FPGA on it.

Last edited by Maverick on 15 Aug 2007, 06:55; edited 5 times in total
Post 15 Aug 2007, 06:33
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Maverick

Maverick
Embrance wrote:
Also I was thinking if this is possible:
Get a FPGA, add 3 PCI slots. Will I be able to put in a PCI Modem(56k),a sound card etc? Also is it possible to add multiple processors? The idea is to have one to do each thing on its own. Like one 150-200Mhz for General use, one 100 for GFX etc.

Yes, it's possible of course, but requires much skills and work.

Quote:
Please if anyone had nay links for beginners post them. Thnaks a lot.

I think a good starting point could be this:
http://www.fpga4fun.com

Post 15 Aug 2007, 06:36
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
Maverick wrote:

If you have the skills, you can design and make the PCB yourself, and solder an FPGA on it.

Any resources about that? I'm very interested in having FPGAs on my computer to do some "ultra parallel" stuff.
Post 15 Aug 2007, 13:38
Maverick

Maverick
Resources about what? Soldering, expecially SMT soldering, is an art that must be practiced a lot. Same about coding in Verilog. The PCI bus is not too complex but is neither as simple as the ISA one. As I wrote in a previous post, the best starting point to know FPGA's is the site I mentioned, where IIRC you also get a PCI reference design.

Anyway, I do not think at all that it'd be wise to start exploring the FPGA world with a self made board. You risk to burn the precious chip even before powering it up for the first time (static electricity, bad soldering practices, whatever). Buy a board as reference, then later start designing your own, when you get confidence in the technology. The $150 Cyclone II multimedia board that I mentioned before is excellent, is cheap, and is extremely capable. To start with a "man on the moon travel" you only risk a disaster.. make experience on the nearby sea first!
Post 15 Aug 2007, 13:49
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
Quote:
Resources about what? Soldering, expecially SMT soldering, is an art that must be practiced a lot.

And about how to properly do a PCB for PCI requirements.

Still I have to learn to use Quartus and ModelSim so I wouldn't make a PCI board in the near future but still I would like to learn about this art in the meantime.

About your suggestion of the multimedia board thanks a lot for mentioned it again, last time by some reason I have concluded that it didn't have USB when actually it comes with USB BLASTER Confused Still, I'll practise a lot on software before buying it because US$ 150 is not few money for me to be spent in things that I'm not completely sure that I'll be able to handle well some day Wink

Cheers
Post 15 Aug 2007, 15:27

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: