flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > when is the last time u willing to die for something?

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
HyperVista

HyperVista
Maverick wrote:
It's harder to understand why OUR culture, which has certainly a lot of positive aspects, has killed millions in the blink of a eye

Yes, I agree with you. I think you have hit upon the answer yourself, it comes down to arrogance and presumption. Combine those two characteristics with basic human nature and you end up with some pretty shameful acts. I agree with your assessemnt of politics and voting. It's all very discouraging. But if one can concentrate on our own lives and learn to enjoy the small moments with family and friends, we can ignore the politics swirling beneath us..... but only to a point, unfortunately.
Post 06 Aug 2007, 14:30
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
MichaelH

MichaelH
Quote:

But if one can concentrate on our own lives and learn to enjoy the small moments with family and friends, we can ignore the politics swirling beneath us..... but only to a point, unfortunately.

BOOM!!!!!! ..... that was another bomb going off in Iraq. Only 30 dead this time, 50 with serious injuries ...... same thing tomorrow..... anyway, hows your family going HyperVista, all well and happy I hope.

BTW, did you know that most of the world (UN) voted against attacking Iraq and were ridiculed by the US for it.

I'm sorry HyperVista, I shouldn't say such things, cause a million dead Iraqis is a small price to pay if it means the U.S economy is buoyant and you can afford an extra big mac.

Carry on ignoring the politics swirling beneath you, it takes courage to speak out against the action of ones country as tom does, clearly you (and the other folk here from countries that make up the so called "coalition of the willing") lack that courage.
Post 06 Aug 2007, 22:59
HyperVista

HyperVista
I'm sorry MichaelH. I didn't mean to offend you with my wish for seeking pleasures in the simple things in life.

It is a shame and disgrace what is happening in Iraq. I will tell you I never supported the war and never voted for anyone who did. I'm sure you know that those bombs going off in Iraq today are not American bombs, but Shiites and Sunnis going at each other. Nevertheless, America set up that situation with the invasion, something I'm not proud of nor support.

The coming elections here in America will correct the course, I hope. When I was younger I used to take to the streets and protest the injustices (anti-Vietnam War, anti-Nixon, etc.). Now that I'm older (not necessarily wiser), I've come to understand that vocal and demonstration types of protest really don't count for much anymore. Nowadays, I prefer political action and support of those candidates who share my view. I donate money and provide other support to those candidates. You may call that having lack of courage, fair enough. While being extremely vocal and anti-establishment on the street may give some self-satisfaction (arrests, "taking it to the man", etc.), it doesn't really stop the system. Changing key politicians via the vote does. I've learned over these long years that voting the bastards out of office works best. That is my way of voicing protests about what is going on in Iraq and elsewhere. But I feel very much like Maverick does about voting, it's almost worthless too. So, I also get involved at the local level to help feed the poor and provide shelter for the homeless and healthcare for those who can't afford it. Change what I can and not worry about those things I can't change.

America is not a monolith. Not everyone here is a warmongering Big Mac consumer. Smile

Oh, and yes, my family is doing well. Thank you for asking. I hope the same for you and your family.
Post 07 Aug 2007, 00:50
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
MichaelH

MichaelH
Thankyou for not taking what I said as a personal attack against you but rather an effort to point out the lack of action by most to stop and indeed hopefully reverse what is happening in Iraq.

I understand what you are saying about it being pointless marching in the street and giving it to "the man" to some extent but I totally disagree with your point that voting, in a two party political race, is actually achieving anything. I'll go one step further and risk alienating you totally by saying it's actually a total cop out ..... sorry but that is my opinion and I won't be changing it.

As I have said in the past here several times, it starts with the individual speaking out against the things they perceive to be wrong and teaching their children these ethics as well. That's why comments like the above posts frustrate me so much, this is not a time to close ones eyes and ears to the horror happening but in fact a time to speak out, irrespective of any coming election.
Post 07 Aug 2007, 01:24
HyperVista

HyperVista
I mostly agree with you, not totally. But I'm in agreement with you for the most part. There used to be an old saying in my protest days, "If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem." So I think that is what you are saying and I can't disagree. I've just tired of "tilting at windmills" over the years. I try to focus on the things I can change, and love my children.
Post 07 Aug 2007, 01:51
MichaelH

MichaelH
Quote:

I've just tired of "tilting at windmills" over the years.

"Man of La Mancha" - The Impossible Dream

Quote:

To dream ... the impossible dream ...
To fight ... the unbeatable foe ...
To bear ... with unbearable sorrow ...
To run ... where the brave dare not go ...
To right ... the unrightable wrong ...
To love ... pure and chaste from afar ...
To try ... when your arms are too weary ...
To reach ... the unreachable star ...

This is my quest, to follow that star ...
No matter how hopeless, no matter how far ...
To fight for the right, without question or pause ...
To be willing to march into Hell, for a Heavenly cause ...

And I know if I'll only be true, to this glorious quest,
That my heart will lie will lie peaceful and calm,
when I'm laid to my rest ...
And the world will be better for this:
That one man, scorned and covered with scars,
Still strove, with his last ounce of courage,
To reach ... the unreachable star ...

Don't give up yet HyperVista, these are indeed great words ...... cool to sing as well.
Post 07 Aug 2007, 03:48
Maverick

Maverick
Just to clear one thing: I don't vote anymore not because I don't bother/care, but simply because I realized that the system as is (at least in my country, Italy) denies the possibility of an honest politician to exist and act. I am quite sure that elsewhere it's still different.

I think there are 3 levels:

1) you believe in the system, and you find a candidate you want to support: you go to the vote site and vote for him/her. Been there, done that, until I got sick that once elected, most only cared about their pocket, although there were also FEW really good ones, but..

let's go on:
2) you believe in the system, but you cannot find ANY candidate you want to support, among those that can be elected in those elections: you go to the vote site and do not vote for anyone (we call it "white card" here). Been there, done that, until I realized that honest politicians can indeed exist even in Italy, but the system breaks their legs, so even if they become candidates, even if they get elected, they won't be able to do anything really useful, if it goes against the estabilished interestes.

3) you stop going to the vote site, and that's what you call your vote. I get very angry when the politicians (because they have an interest to say so) explain the ever growing "less people went to vote this year" with "it was a sunny day and the people went in mass to the beachs, diserting their duties" (as if it wasn't their fault if people got sick of the political system). I heard it even in february elections, it's such an automatic excuse..

Said that, I'm starting to hate more and more those impostors, those parasites of us honest workers, and when they get some disgrace, even a personal one, even those politicians that I once supported, I am not able to feel really sorry. It's like a class now, at least in my country, one that sucks the blood from the people, and whenever they add a tax to us, making us poorer, they raise their already incredibly high wages (let away all the rest they manage to rob!).

As I said, politics in other countries is still seen as a noble thing, but here it's impossible to see it this way, and not by yesterday.

So how can I vote for any of them, when the system only allows robbers and parasites to reach the Parliament (let away the Government)? Candidates are even chosen by the Parties, only by them, by law!! It's such an illegal legalized system..
Post 07 Aug 2007, 07:30

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: