flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > This is cute...

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
kohlrak

kohlrak
Now to add to the list of unstabilities of windows. I'm sitting here in safe mode, because it's the only way to get IE or OffByOne to work. Outside of safemode, i can do everything on the internet except view external websites. I can view my locally hosted website, but any website outside of that it won't work. Do a virus scan (manual searching and anti-virus/anti-spyware/anti-adware) and the scan comes up clean. But, sure enough, i can't go to external websites unless i'm in safe mode with networking. I doubt my ISP can tell which windows account i'm using (nor would they care) to block me... Here's the really interesting part. It only happened immediately after i registered a cash card online. I'm happy that i could register the card online since the phone is down (backed my father into a financial corner so he'd submit XD), but i don't like having to be in safe mode to browse the internet, as it gets a bit annoying. Now, has *ANYONE* heard of *ANYTHING* like this before? Cause, as far as i'm concerend, this is a whoooole new one...
Post 05 Jul 2007, 15:10
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
Mac2004

Mac2004
kohlrak: Which Windows version you are using? I've never encountered such a behavior. Surprised

regards,
Mac2004
Post 05 Jul 2007, 15:57
kohlrak

kohlrak
XP, i system restored (as a last resort since i really can't stand the thought of the thing) and it's fixed, but outside of that... Any idea what caused it?
Post 05 Jul 2007, 16:05
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
Plue

Plue
That sounds like a firewall problem. Of course, the firewall isn't started when you start in safe mode (sort of the point of safe mode).
Post 05 Jul 2007, 18:10
kohlrak

kohlrak
None of the firewall settings changed, but the system restore fixed it. I found another odity. my registry secuirty issue, where certain values couldn't be changed even in safe mode, i found a weird command line thing that gave global permissions to those registry values, which... well... look up "at" as a command line command and you'll see why it's awkward that it fixed my registry...
Post 05 Jul 2007, 18:58
Mac2004

Mac2004
Have you checked your machine for viruses??
Post 05 Jul 2007, 20:44
kohlrak

kohlrak
That's what i did right before i went to the site ot register the debit card, as i'm a bit insecure about keyloggers. Auto-Scans came up clean and a look around task manager didn't show anything i didn't recognize.
Post 05 Jul 2007, 20:47
f0dder

f0dder
Did you check whether "file->work offline" was check-marked in internet explorer? Wink

Windows isn't perfect etc., but for this particular incident I'd blame you or 3rd-party software before I blame windows itself. It generally sounds like your system is in a semi-b0rked (or should I say semi-working instead?) state...
Post 06 Jul 2007, 11:37
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
kohlrak

kohlrak
Quote:
Did you check whether "file->work offline" was check-marked in internet explorer?

I don't know how that'd get checked, but i didn't check for that. Plus, should it affect offbyone as well as IE but no other programs?

Quote:
Windows isn't perfect etc., but for this particular incident I'd blame you or 3rd-party software before I blame windows itself. It generally sounds like your system is in a semi-b0rked (or should I say semi-working instead?) state...

I would love to blame a program, then i wouldn't have to worry about this randomly happening again. I did a few scans before going to http://www.privacash.com/. It happened immediately after i rebooted from benig in safe mode (i went to safe mode so the scanners would go faster since i was in a hurry to register the card), but i highly doubt a debit card registration site would install something to disable my internet access, especially getting through safe mode, where there's less to exploit. That's the weird part about it, no apparent causes, and nothing suspicious was running. After doing the system restore and using "at 12:45pm /interactive regedit.exe" to somehow give me access that superceedes safemode (found it on some "tech support" website, but oddly enough i can't find documentation that supports the idea that it was what fixed the corruptedness of the registry. I downloaded a bunch of programs to fix my registry and mess with it, but that was *AFTER* i used system restore to fix the no-webpage issue. Every once in a while something weird like this happens to me, usually the problem dosn't last long, but sometimes i get something really nasty. One time i had norton installed and it went haywire. It started deleting files i put in the exclude list, as soon as i went into the folder the program was found... Weirder yet was the fact that one of the files in particular was an overly un-dangerous program. I've since reformatted, but there's always something going weird with this computer. Aside from ancient hardware, though, i doubt there's really any reason for it. Personally, i think that alot of the problems come from horribly written components that interface with the drivers to use some of my hardware like my mp3 player.
Post 06 Jul 2007, 14:29
f0dder

f0dder
Hm, appearantly OffByOne is a browser that doesn't use the IE component - probably not just the "work offline" thing then. Could be a zillion other things...

kohlrak wrote:

One time i had norton installed and it went haywire.

And that norton programs run amok is Microsoft's/Windows' fault? *rolls eyes*. Norton/Symantec products have been notoriously bad-mannered for the last many years, it's really went downhill for them.

You also mention "I downloaded a bunch of programs to fix my registry and mess with it" - if you've done that more or less randomly, and if that's your normal download/use habit, you could very well have caught something nasty.
Post 06 Jul 2007, 14:36
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
kohlrak

kohlrak
Quote:
Hm, appearantly OffByOne is a browser that doesn't use the IE component - probably not just the "work offline" thing then. Could be a zillion other things...

Hence why i posted.

Quote:
And that norton programs run amok is Microsoft's/Windows' fault? *rolls eyes*. Norton/Symantec products have been notoriously bad-mannered for the last many years, it's really went downhill for them.

Not saying that is microsoft's fault. I'm saying my computer's always been weird, and with no reson why. Really don't know who to blame, for things happening for mysterious reasons.

Quote:
You also mention "I downloaded a bunch of programs to fix my registry and mess with it" - if you've done that more or less randomly, and if that's your normal download/use habit, you could very well have caught something nasty.

I only do that out of despiration, but i only downloaded programs evaluated by the staff. Considering flash hasn't been working for a long time, i would consider that merit for despirate action, but the last time i downloaded lots of things out of despiration was......... over a year ago. I've heard of dormant viruses, but that takes the cake. Though, i will note, that my hardware devices such as my MP3 player, have a tendancy to be rather buggy, so i wouldn't be afraid to blame the clowns that made the drivers, or further more, the programs that you have to use to use the drivers to access the hardware. Not all my devices intellegently use a "windows explorer interface."
Post 06 Jul 2007, 14:44
f0dder

f0dder
kohlrak wrote:

Not saying that is microsoft's fault.

Really? The first sentence in this thread is "Now to add to the list of unstabilities of windows.". I'm all for blaming Microsoft when something is their fault, but just blaming them whenever something blows up is childish, and takes focus away from where it really is their fault.

Anyway, grab a fresh XP installation CD, and make sure it has SP2 + the latest hotfixes integrated (check ryanvm and nlite , google is your friend), do the right thing, and do a clean reinstall. Yes, it's a bitch getting all your apps installed again, saving all your settings, etc... but it's such a nice feeling after it's done.
Post 06 Jul 2007, 15:15
DustWolf

DustWolf
f0dder wrote:
Anyway, grab a fresh XP installation CD, and make sure it has SP2 + the latest hotfixes integrated (check ryanvm and nlite , google is your friend), do the right thing, and do a clean reinstall. Yes, it's a bitch getting all your apps installed again, saving all your settings, etc... but it's such a nice feeling after it's done.

It is possible to reconstruct a windows installation without deleting everything and starting over. It's a complicated and poorly documented system like linux (only worse), so there are many components you have to reconfigure manually and you can never be sure you got them all. Sounds like the perfect way to challenge one's geekdom IMHO.

Just remember to keep an open mind... last time I got that kind of error (unable to visit certain websites) it turned out the router needed a reboot. Funny tho I can't immagine what could have caused that kind of problem in a router that isn't even supposed to dissasemble packets beyond their TCP/UDP casings. And because I couldn't immagine that as the problem I reinstalled Windows first. *stupid* (well the box was riddled with spyware and junk so it was a more likely cause, but still...)
Post 06 Jul 2007, 18:17
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
kohlrak

kohlrak
Quote:
Really? The first sentence in this thread is "Now to add to the list of unstabilities of windows.". I'm all for blaming Microsoft when something is their fault, but just blaming them whenever something blows up is childish, and takes focus away from where it really is their fault.

When i start to rant or ramble it has a tendancy of not meeting the enter button.

Quote:

Yea... It's on my to do list... has been for the past few years. XD

Quote:
It is possible to reconstruct a windows installation without deleting everything and starting over.

Yea, but you'll have to reinstall the apps anyway because the registry will start over, also, if the issues are files in the sub-folders of the system folder, you're back where you started. You could install it again, but that would take more space than i have available...

Quote:
It's a complicated and poorly documented system like linux (only worse), so there are many components you have to reconfigure manually and you can never be sure you got them all. Sounds like the perfect way to challenge one's geekdom IMHO.

Heh.

Quote:
Just remember to keep an open mind... last time I got that kind of error (unable to visit certain websites) it turned out the router needed a reboot.

Normally that would have been my first guess, but it's not hooked up right now since it does cause some packet loss. I only have to to get my DS on wi-fi games.

Quote:
Funny tho I can't immagine what could have caused that kind of problem in a router that isn't even supposed to dissasemble packets beyond their TCP/UDP casings. And because I couldn't immagine that as the problem I reinstalled Windows first. *stupid* (well the box was riddled with spyware and junk so it was a more likely cause, but still...)

Well it wasn't a complete loss, and nor would reformatting my peice of junk.
Post 07 Jul 2007, 00:28

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: