flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Intel Core 2 Duo/Quad bug

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
Post 28 Jun 2007, 19:29
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
f0dder

f0dder
I read about this a bit earlier - does sound serious. I wonder how large AMD's bugcount is... I don't think it's going to be much better than intel's Smile (btw that link is very coneservative - google a bit, include Theo De Raadt, and you'll get a vague idea just how deep the rabbit hole goes).
Post 29 Jun 2007, 01:59
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
OzzY

OzzY
I'm glad I didn't bought a Core 2 Duo.
This bug looks serious! Laughing
Post 29 Jun 2007, 18:05
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
In the few months my brother used his new computer (a Core2 E4000 series) had no one of the mentioned symptoms on both WinVista and WinXP (32-bit both).

And almost all CPU revisions are bugged anyway. My Athlon 64 Venice Core has an issue with write combining buffers and an issue with the "DDR Data Pin Drive Strength". The latter issue is a shame that AMD didn't verified such simple thing, you don't need any complex combination to trigger the bug, just trying to change that config is enough.
http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/25759.pdf wrote:
114 DDR Data Pin Drive Strength Also Affects Command/Address
Pins
Description
Adjusting the drive strength of the DDR data pins by writing to the MemDQDrvStren field in the
DRAM Configuration High register (Dev:2x94[14:13]) also affects the drive strength of the
command/address pins.
Potential Effect on System
Adjusting the drive strength may cause unreliable operation of the DRAM interface.
Suggested Workaround
Do not adjust the DDR data pin drive strength settings in Dev:2x94[14:13]. BIOS should ensure that
these configuration bits remain at the default value of 00b.
Fix Planned
Yes
There are many more for my DH-E3 revision.

About Intel, they are the wizards of the FPU bugs among other bugs.

Perhaps the arquitecture has reached the limit and is impossible to produce a bug free x86-64 CPU due to the over complexity it has?
Post 29 Jun 2007, 18:46
DustWolf

DustWolf
LocoDelAssembly wrote:
Perhaps the arquitecture has reached the limit and is impossible to produce a bug free x86-64 CPU due to the over complexity it has?

They could always resort to loosing the microcode altogather. >.>
Post 29 Jun 2007, 21:55
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
Enko

Enko
I have an Intel Mother with P4 and sometimes, the keybord doesn't responde but the mouse stay working. :S. Need to restart the machine. It ocurce once 3 monthes. :S
Same bug?
Post 30 Jun 2007, 20:00
f0dder

f0dder
Enko wrote:
I have an Intel Mother with P4 and sometimes, the keybord doesn't responde but the mouse stay working. :S. Need to restart the machine. It ocurce once 3 monthes. :S
Same bug?

Not very likely, the bugs seem to be at a pretty low level. More likely to be a flaky keyboard, chipset problem, driver problem, etc... PS/2 or USB keyboard? I haven't had good experience with the USB keyboards I've tried.

Post 30 Jun 2007, 22:31
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Enko

Enko
No, the strange thing is that it's a PS/2 keybord. Confused
It's not a problem, becouse it's almoste never happens.
Post 30 Jun 2007, 22:57
DustWolf

DustWolf
Enko wrote:
No, the strange thing is that it's a PS/2 keybord. Confused
It's not a problem, becouse it's almoste never happens.

A loose connector is just about all I can think of. PS/2 software implementation is just low-level enough to be unlikely to be the source of any problems.
Post 02 Jul 2007, 00:44
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: