flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Feedback > Slow response from Fasm forum server...

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
kohlrak

kohlrak
Who would store the DB file while it's being transfered?
Post 21 Jun 2007, 19:22
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
For a minimal time two hosting services will be contrated at the same time (this one and the future one). Then is just a matter of sucking the info of the currently used hosting from the new one.

A friend of mine did this lots of times without transfering a single byte of the database nor any other data to his own computer (though he has the daily generated backups on his computer but doesn't take place in the inter hosting transfer).

PS: These daily backups he has are just the changes that took place in the day, not the entire database. I hope Tomasz or someone else has backups because sometimes happens that the hosting server loose the data even in a RAID system (because of the really bad lucky of crashing all at the same time or by the negligence of not making a quick replacement of the damaged disk before the good one crashes also).

PS2:
kohlrak wrote:
Different IPs, that means different computers.
Not really. Examples of your wrongness are PC with multiple net adapters, virtual interfaces, virtual machines that exposes virtual interfaces on a physical interface, etc.
Post 21 Jun 2007, 22:59
kohlrak

kohlrak
I'm still curious why... Perhaps they have another hosting thing that goes on for only a few hours a day. I don't know who the host is, but i've seen some companies "host gaming clans" as "sponsors." Give higher priority (bandwidth and cpu speed) and everything else goes to heck.

Quote:
Not really. Examples of your wrongness are PC with multiple net adapters, virtual interfaces, virtual machines that exposes virtual interfaces on a physical interface, etc.

But with referrer sections in the client data, wouldn't that be pointless? Some servers (including my http server) have multiple domain support.
Post 21 Jun 2007, 23:07
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
m

m
Now it's 4:42 AM here in India and I a having sooth responses from
the board.

PS. actually it is so fast that a click got me two almost identical posts. This was
the original. I clicked to submit and stopped it for editing. But the post was
there aleady.

Fast!

Last edited by m on 21 Jun 2007, 23:16; edited 1 time in total
Post 21 Jun 2007, 23:12
m

m
Now it's 4:42 AM here in India and I am having smooth responses from
the board.
Post 21 Jun 2007, 23:13
kohlrak

kohlrak
Fine for me right now. It was slow for me a few hours ago.
Post 21 Jun 2007, 23:13
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
Post 21 Jun 2007, 23:16
kohlrak

kohlrak
I still say running 1 program and just giving them different directories is easier than eating up the ram by having the computer running everything a bunch of times on itself. Then you can just use 1 ip instead of negotiating and paying an arm and a leg for multiple connections when you can just pay less for an ISP to giveyou the same speed on 1 connection.
Post 21 Jun 2007, 23:21
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
Well kohlrak I tried to make you understand why you can't freely tell that different IPs means different physical hosts, but you always prefer to say what you think instead of read and learn something before posting like if it were a chat board. I also doubt if you really read the links I gave you (and if you did it surely you didn't take some time to digest it and google something).

I can't do anymore...
Post 21 Jun 2007, 23:36
kohlrak

kohlrak
You are right. I'm just saying that they could have done it a better way. I've seen that kind stuff before and as soon as i read a little into it i knew what it was.
Post 21 Jun 2007, 23:37
f0dder

f0dder
fasmboard has been really slow for me (.dk) for the last couple of weeks, and pretty slow for a month or more... seems like things are running smoothly again as of the last couple of days though?
Post 22 Jun 2007, 00:08
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
kohlrak

kohlrak
Odd... Perhaps it's the times you come on.
Post 22 Jun 2007, 00:20
Mac2004

Mac2004
m wrote:

PS. actually it is so fast that a click got me two almost identical posts. This was
the original. I clicked to submit and stopped it for editing. But the post was
there aleady.

Fast!

I was experiencing similar double message problems a couple of years ago. Those days seem to be long gone.

regards,
Mac2004
Post 22 Jun 2007, 04:52
f0dder

f0dder
Unfortunately, I cheered to quickly - speeds are back to shit-slow again, often with timeouts.
Post 22 Jun 2007, 11:27
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
kohlrak

kohlrak
My times of slowness are changing a little. That means it's not automated. It's human involved. Does anyone know the name of the host, i'm curious about something.
Post 23 Jun 2007, 01:06
KRA

KRA
I have no problems wit this site when I ping it.

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 134ms, Maximum = 226ms, Average = 157ms

However when accessing with a browser there are just no response for a
very long time ~1-2 minutes / page.

I have started to open up sub-pages in tabs so that I can continue to work while the page's gets loaded. (Using Firefox)

The problem is NOT the site, most possibly the problem is with the
database access that seems to be far too slow.

Any one having this kind of problems ?? Can it be fixed at all ???
Post 28 Jun 2007, 08:44
kohlrak

kohlrak
KRA wrote:
I have no problems wit this site when I ping it.

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 134ms, Maximum = 226ms, Average = 157ms

However when accessing with a browser there are just no response for a
very long time ~1-2 minutes / page.

I have started to open up sub-pages in tabs so that I can continue to work while the page's gets loaded. (Using Firefox)

The problem is NOT the site, most possibly the problem is with the
database access that seems to be far too slow.

Any one having this kind of problems ?? Can it be fixed at all ???

If it was just the database, wouldn't it display an error about the database rather than the whole site just timing out?
Post 28 Jun 2007, 09:31
f0dder

f0dder
kohlrak wrote:

If it was just the database, wouldn't it display an error about the database rather than the whole site just timing out?

Not necessarily, depends on a whole bunch of factors.

Things are shit slow for me again, too... yesterday I got time-out errors, at least now it's "just" very long page load time (30+ seconds).

It's typical of shared hosts to oversell their capacity, especially database capacity.
Post 28 Jun 2007, 11:11
kohlrak

kohlrak
Hence why i host locally. If i notice my bandwidth is being overly hogged i just shut down the server for a while, or just remove the files being downloaded. Not wise for something like fasm, though. But here's the cute part. I noticed that Tomasz, one morning, was posting just fine but i was getting the timeouts like heck. We're not getting the slowness at the same time. That's why i refuse to believe it's just the DBM. i did notice my worst times are usually between 3 and 6 AM my time, which seems to co-exit with M's time, only the problem is he lives in a different time zone. There could be a time-zone filtering mechanism where it'll give slow band-width during certain times of the day to certain IPs. So, if that's the case, we might be able to get faster speeds by spoofing our IP at that time.
Post 28 Jun 2007, 11:29
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
Try using the search function. It has been broken for a long time. I complained some time back but so far no fix is apparent.
Post 28 Jun 2007, 11:31

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: