flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Vote: 2007 fasm Conference Location

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Vote: 2007 fasm Conference Location
Helsinki
22%
 22%  [ 2 ]
Tallinn
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Praha (Prague)
11%
 11%  [ 1 ]
Brno
22%
 22%  [ 2 ]
Bratislava
11%
 11%  [ 1 ]
Fucking (Austria)
33%
 33%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 9

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
HyperVista

HyperVista
Okay - Let's take a poll on the 2007 fasm Conference Location. Please, only vote if you intend to participate.

[edit] Forgot to add "Other" Embarassed - just list other choice in text post [/edit]

Once we settle on a location, we can plan activities and draft agenda, etc.
Post 12 Jun 2007, 22:39
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
MazeGen

MazeGen
I voted Bratislava. I'd prefer also Brno (where I can help with the organisation) or Tallinn (we have Madis there) or somewhere in Poland.

I'm still curious about f0dder's vote (if he can participate).
Post 13 Jun 2007, 06:59
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
f0dder

f0dder
I'd vote for something as close to Denmark as possible Smile

I work all weekdays from 18-00, so would only be able to attend sat+sun, and my wallet is slightly shallow because of some debt to my ex-gf (her share of the deposit for our flat which I kept after kicking her out).
Post 13 Jun 2007, 11:02
HyperVista

HyperVista
ooooohh.... Kobenhavn!! Very nice!.

f0dder - are you near Kobenhavn?
Post 13 Jun 2007, 11:48
f0dder

f0dder
On a relative scale, yes Smile - Copenhagen/København is ~3 hours by train from here (Aarhus/Århus). Dunno if it'd be possible to find some decently priced place to host us, though.
Post 13 Jun 2007, 12:02
tom tobias

tom tobias
I haven't voted yet, because we still do not have an ORGANIZER. Aarhus would be a lovely city for a conference, but VERY expensive for 95% of FASM forumers to reach (by train, after getting to Hamburg or Copenhagen, or by ship from Malmo, Goteborg, or Oslo, though Aarhus does have a small airport). Copenhagen, a GREAT city, is going to be very expensive for hotels in August. Again, in my opinion, the conference will progress most smoothly, if there is a LOCAL ORGANIZER, and this, in my opinion, trumps all voting. If one considers only local sightseeing attractions, surely the vote will be for Tallinn, or another city in Estonia.
If the conference is held on the weekend, rather than during the week, it may be possible to hold it in September or October, when the tourists have returned to Germany, Japan, and USA, with concomitantly lower prices for hotels. In my opinion, MazeGen, Madis, and fudder need to speak out, definitively, assertively, with a clear cut intention to ORGANIZE this meeting, propose a date, and get things rolling. Voting isn't going to be useful with respect to choosing a location, in my opinion, because the LEAST attractive locale, from a touristic perspective, is nevertheless 1000 times more interesting if there is a LOCAL ORGANIZER, who will take charge of getting this conference off the ground.
Tempus fugit friends. We can't expect people to sign on the dotted line vis a vis attending or not, if we don't have a committment for a specific date and place to convene.
The unfortunate reality is that most of us do not have lots of cash floating around, so that we can just hop on a jet, any day of the week, and simply fly away to anywhere, to chat for a day or two with like minded pals....We need a serious minded conference, with a program, date, place, and an organizer, to justify the expense associated with this journey. Another possibility is to relax about all of that organizational stuff, and just declare a weekend of social interaction, with an assortment of sober minded thoughts sprinkled about, during an afternoon, a sort of vinaigraite to season the conference. In such a case, the city closest to the most folks will suffice. In Europe, unlike USA, there are nifty pubs in EVERY city...
Smile
Post 13 Jun 2007, 13:23
HyperVista

HyperVista
i agree tom. the vote is rather feckless. regarding having an organizer in the city of choice, i think in this day of rapid communications, one need not live in the city of choice to arrange the logistics. last year, i arranged the conference room and all associated logistics relating to that (projector, internet connection, refreshments, extra rooms, webcast logistics, etc.) all before arriving in Krakow. While it will certainly facilitate things to have someone local, it's not an absolute must in my opinion. I volunteer to play a similar roll this year.
last year's conference (technical portion anyway) was on a Saturday. but because it was late September, many couldn't come because school had started and many couldn't travel, even for the weekend. so we have a bit of a "catch 22". if we wait until September/ October, the room rates will definitely be less expensive, but most who want to come won't be able to due to university / school commitments. from my perspective, it's more desirable to have as much participation as possible, even if it costs $50USD more per night for a hotel. It's possible to negotiate favorable rates if we can get sufficient numbers (10 or more).
again, this is just my opinion, but Tomasz being the creator of fasm is an absolute must for the conference. he's indicated his preference for either Helsinki or Praha and therefore i beleive we should focus on these two cities.
Helsinki (i believe Tomasz's preference between the two) has much to offer. there happens to be a cultural festival during the suggested time period (late August - early September). airfare to Helsinki is modest compaired to many other destinations. hotel costs are also reasonable. however, food and drink can be a bit pricey there. on the downside, relatively cheap airfare notwithstanding, for all but a few, travel to Helsinki will require either a flight or a train/bus and ferry trip. this aspect may put it out of reach of some colleagues.
Praha has much to offer (too many to list). it's a very reasonably priced city to visit and accessible via land route to most fasm colleagues, making travel costs and logistics more reasonable in comparison to Helsinki.
going back to the premise that greater participatation is the key factor, i'd have to say Praha is the more logical choice between the two.
Post 13 Jun 2007, 14:04
MazeGen

MazeGen
If there is more interest in Brno, I can arrange the meeting. As for Prague, it would be more difficult for me since I don't know it much... and I never organized some conference like this.

I can put together a schedule and arrange the conference room personally.

HyperVista, you made a good point. If it is going to happen in August, I could arrange cheap and nice accomodation near the downtown in The Kounicova Hall:

http://www.skm.muni.cz/ubytovani.php?akce=42&lang=en

Double room is for $26 (550 CZK), single room is $20 (420 CZK) during Summer Holidays.

I'd like also ask vid about the possibility of Bratislava, but I haven't seen his online last two days.
Post 13 Jun 2007, 14:48
tom tobias

tom tobias
I agree with HyperVista's analysis. I only mentioned the weekend, because fudder can not make it during the week, but, since the conference seems destined for a country far from Denmark, my guess is that he will not be able to attend in any event. Since MazeGen volunteered to organize Brno, and HyperVista kindly offered to do the leg work in Helsinki, it would seem to be narrowed down a bit....
I will wait to vote after learning what vid and Tomasz write. Every city that has been mentioned is advantageous from my point of view. I am very satisfied with Brno or Bratislava, and certainly not disinterested in Helsinki....
For next year, I hope Pelaillo will get something going in South America!!! yeah, Cartagena!!! Now we're talkin,...
http://www.cartagenainfo.net/
http://travel.yahoo.com/p-travelguide-7004900-cat-tourist+attractions+and+sightseeing-south_america_things_to_do-i
Cool
very sunny there, we'll need our dark glasses
Post 13 Jun 2007, 19:34
pelaillo
Missing in inaction

pelaillo
Oh yeah! I will be glad to carry the logistics if we held the conference in Cartagena. The city is well organized for events of all size and there are excellent offerings for food and accomodation.

You are also invited to hold the conference in my city (is spring all the year) and is also well suited for conferences. There's no sea but is cheaper than Cartagena.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medellin
http://travel.yahoo.com/p-travelguide-482585-medellin_vacations-i
Post 13 Jun 2007, 20:42
m

m
India

Post 14 Jun 2007, 00:34
Madis731

Madis731
Voted for Finland 'cuz I havn't gone there for like over two months already Razz
Post 14 Jun 2007, 14:02
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
i am sorry, my system fucked up and i had to reinstall completely, and it wasn't easy without access to internet. I am still slowly getting my machine back into shape...

i vote for brno, i like it there much more than bratislava (as mazegen said). My second vote would be Praha, better for me than rest because it's near.

Old town of bratislava is nice, but it is quite small. Rest is IMHO typical ugly urban zone. If decision falls on bratislava, i will do my best to organize as much as i can, but i am unskilled in this area.

Also there are many UK hooligans taking vacation in bratislava, so group of "happy" english speaking people probably wouldn't be very popular when met by group of local empty-shaved-headed psedu-neo-nazi-whatever teenagers Wink

tom: shouldn't organizator be chosen AFTER place is decided?
Post 15 Jun 2007, 00:36
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
tom tobias

tom tobias
vid wrote:
shouldn't organizator be chosen AFTER place is decided?

Organizer is a thankless job. It is a lot of work. It is unremunerated. Everyone will complain, no matter how much effort is expended.
I voted for BRNO, though I confess that, on paper, i.e. as a tourist, I prefer Tallinn or Aarhus.
For me, NO, to answer vid's question. We ought, in my opnion, select the city where a local organizer has volunteered to get things rolling. Much as I admire HyperVista's selflessness and financial support, it is not correct to depend upon his generosity, year after year, to get this operation moving in a professional manner.
BRNO may or may not be at the top of everyone's list of the ten most fabulous places on the planet earth to visit as tourist, but it is number one on my list of places to visit, if the FASM forum will hold its annual meeting in that city. I am not opposed to Helsinki. I would have voted for it, if there had been a Finn who was able to serve as organizer. So, no, for me, the organizer comes first, then the vote, between two or more locations both of which seek to host the FASM forum annual conference, both of which, or all of which, claim a local organizer.
Post 15 Jun 2007, 09:25
Tomasz Grysztar

Tomasz Grysztar
Well, Brno might be a not bad idea...
Post 15 Jun 2007, 13:09
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
so i think we have agreed on Brno.

It's easiest to travel there for me, mazegen, tomasz, madis than to Praque.

I think for USA folks Don and Tom, it doesn't matter much whether Brno or Praque, when travelling by plane.

MazeGen volunteered to organize meeting in Brno.

We shall move forward to organization issues, and list people who will come.

MCD, shoorick, and others who live nearby: how about coming?
Post 15 Jun 2007, 13:18
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
OzzY

OzzY
Unfortunately, I'm not able to travel anywhere too far.
I'm just student and my parents wouldn't pay it for me.
Plus, I just go on vacation at the end of the year. Sad
So, good luck for you finding a nice place!

But I may talk to Pelaillo to see if we get something here in South America for the next one.
There's also LocoDelAssembly that lives in Argentina.
It's very difficult to me to find some free time, but I'll try...
Post 15 Jun 2007, 13:20
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
Ozzy: very interesting idea, be sure to mention it next year...
Post 15 Jun 2007, 14:44
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
The problem is that we are very few people from South America on this forum, most of the people here lives in Europe so I think that organising it here reduces considerably the possibility of attendance of the members. It would be nice but don't forget that has this problem too.

About the place, pelaillo already offered himself to arrange the logistics in Cartagena after tom's suggestion. Maybe we can go there next year then (if the problem I mentioned above isn't really a problem).
Post 15 Jun 2007, 15:23
tom tobias

tom tobias
Ozzy wrote:
But I may talk to Pelaillo to see if we get something here in South America for the next one.
There's also LocoDelAssembly that lives in Argentina.

LocoDelAssembly wrote:
...organising it here reduces considerably the possibility of attendance of the members.

I think it is important for the Europeans of FASM to understand that the distance from Buenos Aires or Rio De Janeiro to Bogota is comparable to the distance from Delhi to Krakow. In other words, my enthusiasm to meet with Pelaillo, and visit his spectacular country was probably not the wisest suggestion every made. In fact, I really made the suggestion to illustrate the fact that FASM supporters are far flung, all over the globe, and therefore, even if attendance at the forthcoming conference is small, it can be amplified ten fold by using the internet with live streaming video, as arranged very well indeed, last year, by HyperVista. Much as I would love to meet next year in Medellin, I don't foresee this as a realistic possibility. For one thing, how would Yong get there? He can take the train from HongKong (mainland side) to Brno!!!
Smile
Post 15 Jun 2007, 16:53

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: