flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Asm magazine

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Dex4u

Dex4u
This is probably, not the right part of the forum to to post this, but i could not decide where to put it, so i'v put it here.
I have been thinking about how, it would be good, to have a Asm on line magazine, with tutors and such like. It would be a good way to promote ASM.
But as most of my knowledge is to do with coding for DexOS, i thought it would be better to get a wider view. So what do you think of the idea and would you like to write articles ?.
Also would you like to be editor, as there are many coders here much better at putting words together than me.
I think it need's to be more a light hearted type of mag.
Heres a demo of what the front cover could be like, to give you a idea, we would also add topics etc to it.
Post 20 May 2007, 16:31
MazeGen

MazeGen
Assembly journal was reborn in 2004 and again died.

http://board.flatassembler.net/topic.php?t=1140
http://board.flatassembler.net/topic.php?t=1182

Why do you think this magazine has future?
Post 20 May 2007, 19:33
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Dex4u

Dex4u
Because the "Assembly journal" even though it has stopped, has left us with some great articles.
We can do our bit, for the next gen of ASM coder's, by leaving some good reference material too. I for one found out about fasm from read the "Assembly journal".
Post 20 May 2007, 20:20
OzzY

OzzY
I like the idea!
I would contribute with articles, example codes, etc.

It's a good time to promote ASM while so many people are moving to bloated tools like .NET.
We can show that ASM is still alive!
It can also be good promotion for FASM. Especially if it shows FASM's advanced macro features.
I enjoyed reading so many ASM and virus magazines in the past. They really helped, at least with DOS ASM.
We can have again a nice ASM magazine with subjects for Windows, DOS, Linux, DexOS and other OSes.

I wouldn't feel discouraged by the fact that some other magazine died in the past.
We can make our own! FASM community is big enough for nice contributions.
Count me in, Dex!
Post 21 May 2007, 10:58
DustWolf

DustWolf
I'm in for it.

I don't exactly have all the time in the world to write articles or stuff like that, but I would sure like to help up if somebody set up something like this!
Post 21 May 2007, 14:11
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
Dex4u

Dex4u
Cool, if you have any articles, ideas send me a PM or if you want to be editor also PM me, we need a wide range of articles on differant subjects.
Also if your a beginner programmer, you can still write a articles, eg: you could test all the ASM OS out there or test the differant ver of Dos or assembler's etc.
You could also help by maybe translating it for non English speakers.
Thanks for the response.
Post 21 May 2007, 15:31
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
i could write something on FASMLIB... altough i have many rewrite plans
Post 21 May 2007, 20:14
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
Dex4u

Dex4u
Cool that would be great or if you have plans to rewrite it, maybe you could write on the benefits to fasm programmers, of such a lib Smile.

Last edited by Dex4u on 21 May 2007, 23:03; edited 1 time in total
Post 21 May 2007, 21:11
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
yeah, that's just what i plan.

Just some general gibberish and not much real code :]
Post 21 May 2007, 21:18
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
DustWolf

DustWolf
Just wondering,

What is this magazine going to look like in the end. It will be online? Will it have a wiki-like interface so people can minimize the time needed for a contribution of some kind... or will this be kept 'small' and everything be done trough contacting people?
Post 22 May 2007, 11:47
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
Dex4u

Dex4u
It will be online, in html formmat, it will have its own web site, people will send articles, in a plane text format, alone with images.
The articles will need to be about programming in asm (mostly fasm), or modding hardware, that also includes software thats written in asm.
White hat hacking, even better if the said programs are written in fasm.
Tests, the magazine will be running test, to find how easy it is to do certain things.
Book reviews, podcast reviews, hardware reviews.
Its aim are to bring some fun back to programming with asm and to encourage new programmer to see asm has not just for writing drivers or embedded programming.

But mostly the articles, need to give info about something to do with asm, that is not available any where else.
So to control whats in the mag, you will need to submit it to the magazine.

PS: As a side note, wiki as in "wikipedia" are full of bad info, i along with a group of programmer started to code "DexOS", someone out side the group wrote about DexOS in the wikipedia, which was mostly wrong, when i tyred to correct it, my modds were not excepted and were marked as vandalism, i have no control, of whats said about something i coded Mad
Post 22 May 2007, 15:18
DustWolf

DustWolf
I ask because of the point that... erm.. I might be the only one here who has that problem but.. If I were to write an article, I wouldn't want to be giving out info that isn't true and I do not know everything about everything to be right in the first place. So I could only write things like partial articles.

A submission based system is usually kind of based on writing a complete article as in an artpiece and then having it evaluated if worthy and then added to the mag or not. The only way you could use a partial article here is if the moderator finnished each one of them and uploaded them afterwards.

By partial articles I mean generally infomative text that either lacks a proper train of thought to be readable, or links to other articles describing whatever info is missing, or tables, charts and pictures. That kind of stuff.

Am I making sense here?
Post 25 May 2007, 11:23
Dex4u

Dex4u
DustWolf wrote:
Am I making sense here?

Sure you are, But this magazine is not going to be like most "asm mags", which are full of cold articles ( which are fine if that what you want. ).
But this mag will be more full of articles written by coders, who have coded something for the first time and written about, how it when.
Eg: I have just got one of these http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/cubegoodies/86b8/
and i will be writting a article about trying to control it, by writing a program with fasm.
I want the articles to be fun Wink.
So you do not need to be a expert.
Post 25 May 2007, 17:01
Madis731

Madis731
I'm in, but I won't collaborate in arranging stuff etc. I would just do some specific part like "write an article on FASM: 2000 letters!" or "make an opimization demonstration article!" something like that Smile

GR8 IDEA!!!
Post 27 May 2007, 22:13
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
Dex4u

Dex4u
Cool, when something comes along, that you think others will be interested in, write it down and PM it to me.
I will be writing most of the first issue, to give people, a idea of what to write about.
There will be a fasm coding demo, that builds up each issue, i was thinking about a bootable web browser, so it may interest you Smile.
Post 28 May 2007, 01:07
rhyno_dagreat

rhyno_dagreat
I'd like to help, possibly be an editor as my ASM isn't up to where I would like it to be, yet my English is fairly decent (are ferly desent? Wink). So yeah, I think editorial work would be my department for now.
Post 28 May 2007, 03:19
Dex4u

Dex4u
Great, i will put you down for editorial work, you can also review stuff if you want, like testing differant ASM OS etc, as i am a bit (biased Wink ).
Post 28 May 2007, 04:35
Embrance

Embrance
Well in any case, if this project goes on, I could provide you hosting.
Post 09 Jun 2007, 18:18
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
Dex4u

Dex4u
Thanks for the offer Embrance, I am still writing the first issue.
Post 09 Jun 2007, 22:41
slacker116

slacker116
Awesome Idea! (F)ASM is definiatly worth promoting! I'm still fairly new to (F)ASM but would be willing to help in any way possible
Post 10 Jun 2007, 06:31

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: