flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Ice Hockey - East vs. West

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
are you watching Ice Hockey championship? Pretty good match.

It's Slovakia vs. USA, and i think this greatly demonstrates differences between eastern and western style of playing hockey.

Slovak players are combining much more, working more as a team, while US players are more concentrating on group of good solo players, concentrating on breaks, 1:1 confrontation, etc...

what do you think about this topic?

PS: We are losing 1:2 after first third of game

PS2: It's funny that small country like Slovakia is playin against USA. Imagine Maryland vs. Europe Very Happy

Last edited by vid on 03 May 2007, 13:50; edited 1 time in total
Post 03 May 2007, 13:04
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
losing 1:4 after second third Sad

we sucked for about half of this third Sad
Post 03 May 2007, 13:41
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
tom tobias

tom tobias
vid wrote:
It's funny that small country like Slovakia is playin against USA.

http://www.factmonster.com/spot/winter-olympics-jamaican-bobsled.html

Imagine that Slovakia were playing a country nearly as large as USA, i.e. BRAZIL, I guess the score would be 100:0 in favor of Slovakia (There is a paucity of ice in Brazil, there are probably only 25 people in the whole country who enjoy skating on ice in the winter, all of them emigres from Slovakia, with difficulty adjusting to a life of sunshine and orange trees growing in your backyard.)
Maryland is not a good analogy, because of the mild winter. The only ice rinks there are artificial. Now, if you like ice, and ice sports, then Minnesota and North Dakota would be better comparisons with Slovakia. Though North Dakota's geographic size is larger than Slovakia, I suppose the populations are similar. They have some decent ice there during the winter, though not the REAL ice, for that, one must go to MANITOBA!!! Yeah! Winnipeg. Now you're talking some REAL ice. So, bring on Slovakia, against Manitoba, let's see what happens!!! I put my money on Manitoba, unless Jamaica joins in.
Smile
Post 03 May 2007, 14:09
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
Quote:
Maryland is not a good analogy, because of the mild winter.

there are seldom people playing on REAL ice these days in slovakia. Mostly little child. Wonder if you ever tried skating on real ice - it's impossible to really play hockey, puck will change it's way every meter.
http://www.publicsafetydiving.org - what "ice" are they diving under? Artificial ice in rinks? Wink
http://www.marylandiceskating.com/rinks.htm

BTW, Manitoba has much colder climate (due to wikipedia). Minnesota could be better comparison (similar population), but still it's way colder there (again due to wikipedia).

Quote:
Though North Dakota's geographic size is larger than Slovakia, I suppose the populations are similar

North Dacota has less than 1/5 of Slovak population.

For comparison: temperatures in slovakia in summer go to 20-30, in extreme summers even above 35. During winter it's 0 to -10, during extreme winter it's under -15.
Post 03 May 2007, 14:56
tom tobias

tom tobias
vid wrote:
Wonder if you ever tried skating on real ice - it's impossible to really play hockey, puck will change it's way every meter
Sure, as a kid I played ice hockey, on real ice, of course. Yeah, the ice was pretty rough, so, both players and puck moved a bit slowly, until the next rain/sleet, or chinook melted the top, then, after it froze that evening, wonderful ice the next day!!! Broke all my teeth, those days we did not yet have the plastic guard which attaches to the helmet. Terry Sawchukwas my role model!!!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_Sawchuk
but, this photograph includes his false teeth! My teeth were only broken by the puck, his were completely missing, knocked out by the puck, or a skate! Terry, a Ukranian by ancestry, was born in Winnipeg, and was the hero of the Detroit Red Wings in the 1950's. The whole city admired his courage. Later in his career, he began using a mask, a revolutionary invention. He required more than 400 sutures to repair lacerations of his face during a decade of goal tending, prior to adopting the mask.
Post 04 May 2007, 00:11
OzzY

OzzY
Quote:
Imagine that Slovakia were playing a country nearly as large as USA, i.e. BRAZIL, I guess the score would be 100:0 in favor of Slovakia (There is a paucity of ice in Brazil, there are probably only 25 people in the whole country who enjoy skating on ice in the winter, all of them emigres from Slovakia, with difficulty adjusting to a life of sunshine and orange trees growing in your backyard.)

Yes, there is very few ICE here. We just have ice at the south of the country. In fact, we have lots of kinds of climates here. That's why you can grow all kinds of fruits here.
But talking about sports, soccer is the real thing here.
It's almost as chess is for russian. Some kind of tradition.
I like chess more, though.
I really suck at most sports.
I'm better with brain than muscles. Razz
Post 04 May 2007, 00:51

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: