flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Windows Update

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
DustWolf

DustWolf
Doing what I do for a living I use it a lot, also on older computers and am kind of tired of looking at that progress bar swoop along slowly for hours on end, while Windows Update checks for updates.

The processor usage is up to 100% for quite some time even on our fastest machines. Harddisk and network usage is low. I am really curious what could it possibly be calculating all this time?

Anyone ever found out? It's seriously bugging me as it represents a HUGE amount of computation and it doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Is it some terribly inefficient hashing algorithm? Poorly implemented communication between modules? CPU-crunching based delay loop? I'm going to dissasemble Everything if I do not get the answers... >.>
Post 23 Mar 2007, 20:04
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
i enjoy doing manual update Very Happy
using hfslip + nlite
basically, we just update the i386 with hotfix that rated "critical" or "security update", format, reinstall... Smile or just ghost if you got lots of machine with same hardware.

http://users.telenet.be/tc76/winup/_winxpsp2.html
http://hfslip.org/

[edit]
you are welcome LocoDelAssembly,
btw, here is the link to each OS, 2k, 2k3, xp
http://hfslip.org/hflists.html

Last edited by sleepsleep on 23 Mar 2007, 22:02; edited 1 time in total
Post 23 Mar 2007, 20:14
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
Thanks a lot for those links sleepsleep!! I was searching how to know which updates integrate to the nliteos some days ago. Unfortunately the administrator's options of WindowsUpdate gives you a full HUGE list of downloads without any guide of what you REALLY need but the link you provided has a link to a list that we need Very Happy

Thanks again!
Post 23 Mar 2007, 21:53
DustWolf

DustWolf
sleepsleep wrote:
basically, we just update the i386 with hotfix that rated "critical" or "security update", format, reinstall... Smile or just ghost if you got lots of machine with same hardware.

Far from same hardware here and it's not like it would work even if we were always buying the same stuff... Hardware progresses, manufacturers secretly switch chips and you end up with an image that fits a computer but does not provide stable functionality.

Besides, you sure reinstalling is really a good idea? I mean, for the IT department sure, but here we have computers for users, not for the IT department (to quote Tron "user requests is what computers are for"): the money lost while users have to reconfigure everything to start working again is nowhere near the money lost in the ITs spending some more time actually fixing stuff as opposed to thinking a format will solve all the problems.
Post 25 Mar 2007, 17:23
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
well, one of the way we implement is like,
we put one ftp server, then we give uid and pwd to users in office.
we teach them how to ftp if they don't know.
and we tell them that they MUST ftp company document, or watever files they really need in that server, otherwise, if something struck their pc, eg. hd burnt, pc got stole, office burnt, or flooded, we couldn't and shouldn't provide backup for them.

then what we do is, we backup that ftp folder regulary into cd & dvd and make 2 copies then store them in safe place from time to time.

most users customize their windows and to an extend that they install some application that beauty up their desktop without knowing it is spyware/adsware. eg. some desktop calender, some nice cool theme, some browser add-on toolbar or etc.

i checked some gov pc lately and to found out that i couldn' even get a complete file (imagine just copy from desktop then paste in my thumbdrive) the file would get corrupted. when i check on my laptop, the file appeared as infected.

then i check the gov pc, their taskbar showing a 25% to 60% cpu usage, even without any application loading (they are virused).

btw, what you could do in your case, imo, would be block the windows update website, then you manually download those fix patch or patch that you want to update on their pc, put them into one share, then ask them to install it manually from time to time, maybe u could conduct such operation monthly.
or if the user have no install or you don't want to give them admin rights, then just create one account, then use remote desktop to help them install (after office hour).
well, just idea.... don't know your exact situation.
Post 25 Mar 2007, 18:01
f0dder

f0dder
The Windows Update bug is a well-known one... back when I searched for it last I didn't find any solution for it, but that was over a year ago. Haven't had the problem myself for a while, I run automatic updates.

For new Windows installs, I use nLite and RyanVM update pack.
Post 25 Mar 2007, 22:31
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: