flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > A great man passes

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
HyperVista

HyperVista
The father of FORTRAN, John Backus, passed away.

read more

FORTRAN was the first programming language I learned as an engineering student at the university of Maryland. We used to have to type out our programs on punch cards, turn the stack of cards into the grad student who ran the large mainframe beast, wait (sometime hours) to get our program printout, often to learn we had a card out of order or a semi-colon missing. But when that large, green and white, printout appeared as we had hoped, it was fantastic and kept our interest in programming high!

His New York Times obituary (link above) is an interesting read.

Last edited by HyperVista on 21 Mar 2007, 23:39; edited 5 times in total
Post 20 Mar 2007, 11:31
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
HyperVista: what year was it? My parents are about your age, and they told me about coding exactly same way Smile In FORTRAN too Very Happy
Post 20 Mar 2007, 11:59
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
HyperVista

HyperVista
I was a freshman engineering student in 1972 when I had that FORTRAN course.
When I look back on that fall, winter and spring my freshman year, what an interesting time indeed! Nixon was in the whitehouse, America was embroiled in Vietnam. I found myself in many protests, both against the war and against Nixon. My hair was every bit as long as yours is now. Great music, great sex, plenty of weed Cool , and struggling with those damn FORTRAN assignments and those fucking punchcards between english literature, russian language, history, etc., etc.! Truly a great time for me, but I didn't fully realize it at the time.

Last edited by HyperVista on 20 Mar 2007, 12:22; edited 1 time in total
Post 20 Mar 2007, 12:17
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
abd how about great rockin' in some band?
Post 20 Mar 2007, 12:21
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
HyperVista

HyperVista
well, I was a drummer in a rock band in my hometown during my secondary school years. my freshman year in college was pretty dedicated to my studies and other social activities Wink . it took me a year to find other band mates at the university and i didn't get back to playing music until my junior year. i damn near flunked out my freshman year as it was (too much partying). being in a rock band my freshman year would have definitely got me booted from university Laughing
Post 20 Mar 2007, 12:30
f0dder

f0dder
HyperVista, could you use <url=blabla.com/blabla>short descriptive text</url> (of course with angle brackets) for such long links? Messes up word wrapping and such Smile
Post 21 Mar 2007, 22:53
HyperVista

HyperVista
yes, of course f0dder. sorry. i usually use tinyurl, but got lazy that day Smile i'll correct it.
Post 21 Mar 2007, 23:33
f0dder

f0dder
Nono, not tinyurl (those links aren't 100% persistant, are they?) - just use of the forum's built-in <url> tag Smile

But it looks much better already ^_^
Post 21 Mar 2007, 23:52
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
HyperVista: did it for ya. You can "edit" your post to see what he meant.
Post 22 Mar 2007, 01:50
HyperVista

HyperVista
ahhhh .... very cool. i tried it with angle brackets and it didn't work, so i went with the tinyurl (which are persistent now. they had some issues a year ago). thanks for the format tip.

while we're talking about format tips ..... how do you guys change the "quote" to a specific nic using the quote formatter?? now that i've seen the url trick, i guess it's something similar.
Post 22 Mar 2007, 01:59
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
Code:
[quote="HyperVista"]it's something similar[/quote]    

But sometimes it is easier to hit "quote" button on lower right corner of every post. You could also discover how to do it this way Wink (i did...)
Post 22 Mar 2007, 02:08
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
men come and men go...
life goes on Smile

enjoy the moment we had now,
food, drink, entertainment, relationship
nothing is real, everything is illusion. (sounds kinda .... conflict Smile )
Post 22 Mar 2007, 04:07

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: