flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Freedom Of Speech :D

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
http://wikipedia.org/wiki/mooning

Quote:
A court in Maryland determined in 2006 that mooning is a form of expression protected by the United States constitutional right of freedom of speech.

Laughing
Post 08 Mar 2007, 19:21
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
HyperVista

HyperVista
Hey, Maryland. That's where I grew up. Smile

Freedom of Speech is one of the great things about America. A very good example of that is this book, which was just approved as a text book in California. http://www.addictedtowar.com/atw1a.html

Agree or disagree with the content, the point is this is an excellent example of freedom of speech here in America. Simialr literature around the world would surely land one in jail, or worse.

The other point is that not all Americans agree with the administration and it's policies.
Post 09 Mar 2007, 00:43
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DustWolf

DustWolf
HyperVista wrote:
Simialr literature around the world would surely land one in jail, or worse.

I very, very much doubt it.

Unless you mean Turkey or something.
Post 09 Mar 2007, 01:06
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
HyperVista

HyperVista
Do you think North Korea, China, Iran, or Syria would tolerate such strident anti-government policy publication, let alone adopt it in some school systems? I don't think so. These countries ban or heavily filter the internet. I think in some of those countries, publishing such material would get you into plenty of trouble with the authorities.
Post 09 Mar 2007, 01:19
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
I'm wonder if Tom Tobias can speak so openly in USA like in http://board.flatassembler.net/topic.php?t=6140 . I think that you can speak freely in USA except for some subjects...

Anyway, of course that there is much freedom in USA than in the countries listed by HyperVista, in fact, a lot of more countries enjoys more liberty than those, but I don't believe that COMPLETE freedom exists in USA nor in almost no country.
Post 09 Mar 2007, 01:57
DustWolf

DustWolf
HyperVista wrote:
Do you think North Korea, China, Iran, or Syria would tolerate such strident anti-government policy publication, let alone adopt it in some school systems? I don't think so. These countries ban or heavily filter the internet. I think in some of those countries, publishing such material would get you into plenty of trouble with the authorities.

Sure those select countries. But not "around the world". People in most countries enjoy the same / more freedom than Americans.
Post 09 Mar 2007, 02:07
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
HyperVista

HyperVista
Quote:
Sure those select countries. But not "around the world". People in most countries enjoy the same / more freedom than Americans.

Yes, I agree with that. You make your point very well. I'm sorry, when I wrote "around the world" I didn't mean inclusive.

I hope that those who read the publication I referenced will come to the understanding that not all Americans are warmongering zealots, that there are voices of dissention in America and most important, those voices are not stifled.

LocodeAssembly wrote:
Quote:
but I don't believe that COMPLETE freedom exists in USA nor in almost no country.

I agree with that as well.

And to vid's original post, I assume we all have the freedom to show others our hairy asses whenever we wish. Smile
Post 09 Mar 2007, 02:14
MichaelH

MichaelH
Quote - MichaelH to HyperVista in the thread "US/muslim conflict"

http://board.flatassembler.net/topic.php?t=6140&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=40

Quote:

No of course you don't and there in lies the problem

HyperVista, it would seem the problem has been rectified in a small way. Hard to believe the "torching mosque" comments were only a few months back. You are a gentleman and a true patriotic American and I consider you to be a friend.

Thank you very much, it was a fascinating read from start to finish and I hope everyone takes the time to read it.

Regards
Post 09 Mar 2007, 02:42
bogdanontanu

bogdanontanu
And what about that guy that owns Hustler magazine and got sued for his oppinios and freedom of speech he expressed? He succeeded the "american way" ie by doing sales...but still got sued by crestian fanatics.

And ultimately he got shoot ... very lucky to survive.
So much for the freedom of speech in US.

But then we also have to agree that he did have a chance...

Something like that might have no impact in France/Europe where people are or fell like beeing more free about sex... however ...

I do not see that magazine ever published in an muslim fundamentalist country neither I see him survive 7 days after he would say something nasty about a big muslim immam or religiouse ruler. ... not to mention IF we would have ever made any sexual remarks about the Coran.

Somebody once said that US is a free religion society...as long as you have a religion Very Happy
Post 09 Mar 2007, 05:14
TmX

TmX
bogdanontanu wrote:

Somebody once said that US is a free religion society...as long as you have a religion Very Happy

Religion & country shouldn't mix Wink
Post 09 Mar 2007, 05:23
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
How about Main Kampf? Is it tolerated and sold in USA?

I am wondering because lately our shitty gov banned it. It's true that 70% sales would be stupid teenage so-called "neo-nazis", but still other part would be people willing to gain knowledge.

Fortunately we have our internet communism, and it's possible to get it other way Smile
Post 09 Mar 2007, 07:38
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
madmatt

madmatt
Quote:

Yes. I remember seeing it in my local book store a few months ago. I'll have to check and see if it's still there.
Post 09 Mar 2007, 09:05
TmX

TmX
Wow ... Mein Kampf is banned in the Western there ? Shocked
Fortuntately not in here (Indonesia). It's available on some big book store ...
Post 09 Mar 2007, 10:24
HyperVista

HyperVista
Quote:

http://www.amazon.com/Mein-Kampf-Adolf-Hitler/dp/0395083621/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-5227973-3707349?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1173443343&sr=8-1

Yup. Even on amazon.com (largest on-line book store in US). It's also available in books stores too. Most find it repugnant, but freedom of press and freedom of speech trumps all here.
Post 09 Mar 2007, 12:31
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
Quote:
Wow ... Mein Kampf is banned in the Western there ?
There is tabu about Nazis in european countries which suffered from nazis. Lately someone released it, they made big boom of it in TV, so gov wanted to show off themselves and banned it. :S
Post 09 Mar 2007, 13:37
MichaelH

MichaelH
Quote:

but freedom of press and freedom of speech trumps all here.

Please HyperVista, at least try to get a grip on reality!

Do you realise that only Americans make statements like the statement you made above. I come from New Zealand as you know and take in some of the worlds news cast and I guarantee the least free news casts are those from the U.S. Some days the lies told to you folk in the U.S make me think I'm actually watching a news cast from a different planet...... I kid you not.

Of the U.S news cast I watch, the least bias news cast is Voice of American News hour with Jim lehrer, most bias and totally insane news cast would be Fox news.

Have a read of the link below especially the "Critics of The Newshour" part to show you just how bias your news is. Remember I state that Voice of American News hour with Jim lehrer is the least bias of the U.S news casts I watch.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_NewsHour_with_Jim_Lehrer

Staggering really and tells the true story of how free the press is in the U.S in my view.
Post 09 Mar 2007, 22:46
HyperVista

HyperVista
Hi MichaelH. I understand what you are saying. You've focused on the quality of speech. I was commenting about one's freedom to say just about anything. I double checked my post and confirmed that I said nothing about the quality of what is said.

Freedom of the press and freedom of speech is merely tangential to the quality of press and speech. Lets not confuse the two (freedom and quality of speech).

Here in America one has the freedom to say just about anything (sticking ones ass out of a moving car at another person is protected as free speech, for example). Debating the relative quality of that form of "speech" is another matter. My comment was not intended to assign value or quality of the press or speech. I agree with you that much of what is presented as news is simply crap. The point is, people have the freedom to say it. That is all I was trying to say in my comment.

Yes, I agree with you, VOA and Jim Lehrer are some of the news I choose to listen to as well. I think the BBC World is also fairly good.
Post 09 Mar 2007, 23:34
MichaelH

MichaelH
Quote:

Hi MichaelH. I understand what you are saying. You've focused on the quality of speech. I was commenting about one's freedom to say just about anything. I double checked my post and confirmed that I said nothing about the quality of what is said.

With all due respect HyperVista I suggest you do not understand what I'm saying, so I'll try by saying it a different way.

Your country in no way has freedom of speech. If your country had freedom of speech your country would protect the rights of every citizen of the world to say as they please. Your country only gives that right to it's own citizens and this has lead to the things described in the comic you linked above occurring at the cost to many of the world citizens your country refuses to give freedom of speech rights too. So until your country gives these rights to all of the worlds people, your country is one of the countries in the world that practices repression of speech!
Post 10 Mar 2007, 00:31
HyperVista

HyperVista
Ahhhh... I understand better now.

I am in no way trying to be argumentative. I respect you and your opinion. From a pure debate strategy perspective, I offer the following:

Quote:
If your country had freedom of speech your country would protect the rights of every citizen of the world to say as they please..... So until your country gives these rights to all of the worlds people.....

I think you will agree that my country can not and should not protect or give such rights to every citizen of the world. Certainly, it is not America's to give and to seek that from America is tantamount to acquiescing to the notion that they can grant such rights globally. I don't think you want to argue your valid point from that position. Wink

I understand your reasoning that despite it not being America's place to usurp the rights of other countries, they have. I think I understand that this was your point. Thank you for the clarification.

Our conversation reminds me of Churchill's thoughts on America and Great Britain, "We are two nations separated by a common language."
Post 10 Mar 2007, 02:31
MichaelH

MichaelH
Quote:

I think you will agree that my country can not and should not protect or give such rights to every citizen of the world.

Hell no, there's absolutely no way I'd suggest a racist thing like that and you should be ashamed of yourself for even suggesting such a racist thought!

Every country in the world must report the facts as they are, the complete truth with no bias attached. Your country in no way does this.
I say again, your country practices repression of speech!
Post 10 Mar 2007, 02:47

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: