flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > software patents ... ugh

Anybody like software patents? Anybody??
not really
15%
 15%  [ 4 ]
no
7%
 7%  [ 2 ]
hell no
34%
 34%  [ 9 ]
are you crazy?!
23%
 23%  [ 6 ]
what's a patent?
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
yes, patents pay for my yacht
11%
 11%  [ 3 ]
que?
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 26

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
rugxulo

rugxulo
Don't you just hate software patents? And yet, there is big intere$t in them from big companies (I guess).

The weird thing is that FOSS is sometimes snidely referred to a infringing on a billion patents. Therefore, I was surprised to see an ad (on SourceForge, no less!) saying, "Make patent pirates pay!" Obviously, a little strange. Shocked
Post 20 Feb 2007, 22:17
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Artlav

Artlav
I had an impression, that software patents was banned last year?
Or is it just in EU?

I think that patent system, which was a good invention in 19th and early 20th centurys is already becoming obsolete.
The capitalistic system is eating itself from inside-out, as the big companys think more about the profits than of their customers.
It's about time for a next market crash.
Post 20 Feb 2007, 22:26
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yumka

yumka
If somebody spent a lot of money and efford to make a significant contribution in knowledge, good software or good medicine, I think is fare to charge for it.

Face it, without investment and greed humans still be living in caverns.

But I think that must be also limits or at least options.

I'm against monopolies.

We are now in a society of knowledge.

Now, is not enough to have manufacturer facilities, you need to know more than the competence. And you can sell that knowledge in the market.

That is the future and China, India, Korea and other countries are moving fast to that direction.
Post 20 Feb 2007, 22:41
Borsuc

Borsuc
yumka wrote:
Face it, without investment and greed humans still be living in caverns.
GreedIsGood Laughing

actually in caverns with good humans would be much better than now. tech is evil because it's born from evil humans Twisted Evil
Post 28 Feb 2007, 14:47
bogdanontanu

bogdanontanu
In fact without greed and capitalistic money schemes we would have been an intelligent race colonizing many Galaxies and maybe even playing in another Universe by now.

With greed we lost almost 10.000+ years in fight, wars, crimes, competition, we wasted resources, we loose thousands or millions of Einstein's every day because they die of hunger or die out there in the cold...

OR if they are lucky the average Einstein gets a job, a car and a house and will die after working the whole life for another lucky human being ... utterly wasting its neurons and glial cells

But we have a few cellular phones and some lame computers and some planes, some nukes .... after all. Yeah right after 10.000 years...

Those you have obtained because some idealistic people like Tesla, Edison, Einstein, Nobel, Socrates, Archimedes, Thales, Galilleo, Giordano, Michelangelo, etc etc have thought you might need a helping hand...

And idealistic people thought those inventions will make you better and bring peace and people will only do research and will never ever have to work again...

Oh, how they have been wrong!

In fact any invention just does some people rich and by consequence many other people poor. Usually it does NOT make the original inventor rich Very Happy but some other "investor" eventually after the original inventor is dead Wink

So please, do not invent anything, do not patent anything...

Please let this race die out slowly being "wealthy" and full of money, interest rates, investments and "progress"... because it deserves this completely ...
Post 28 Feb 2007, 17:40
Borsuc

Borsuc
bogdanontanu wrote:
In fact without greed and capitalistic money schemes we would have been an intelligent race colonizing many Galaxies and maybe even playing in another Universe by now.
I think that is called "playing with fire" Razz

Actually I'm on the side where you respect the "hand" that gave you everything, not bite it Wink

So whether you believe in a GOD or not, someone did gave us all this... life, be it nature or God himself Very Happy
Post 28 Feb 2007, 18:22
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
The_Grey_Beast: or this thing we call "live" is just self-regulation system that we can't truly comprehend. Same system that prevents you from destroying object (yourself) even though you know it will be better for society, yourself, and for just everything.

If it was god who made us, he shouldn't equip us only with senses, that all contradict him. If it was nature... well, then it destroyed itself, by making mankind who will destroy nature.
Post 28 Feb 2007, 23:05
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
rugxulo

rugxulo
Well, "Black History Month" ends today in the U.S. I feel compelled to recognize the work of George Washington Carver, a guy who (reportedly) didn't patent any of his inventions in order to help the common good (although Wikipedia somewhat contradicts this). He promoted sweet potatoes as alternative crops for farmers as well as discovered a billion uses for peanuts ... including peanut butter! (mmmm) Laughing

P.S. Most of you are overseas, so you probably haven't seen it yet. But, pay attention for the American Dad episode about the "Illuminutti". (I thought it was funny, especially if you've seen National Treasure). Smile
Post 01 Mar 2007, 00:03
arafel

arafel
rugxulo wrote:
Don't you just hate software patents? And yet, there is big intere$t in them from big companies (I guess).

Here is something scary -
linked lists are patented!

http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/7028023.html

Post 22 Mar 2007, 19:58
DustWolf

DustWolf
I can't think of any technology that prospered after it was patented.

Devolopers and researches generaly realize that too, and take steps to prevent their inventions from being patented in case they believe their work could be used by a wider public.
Post 23 Mar 2007, 19:07
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
rugxulo

rugxulo
You would think Microsoft would be one of (if not THE) biggest opponent of patents, having been the victim of them, but even they want money for their patents, and you can't be both for and against 'em (can you??).

I do think patents and copyright are at least somewhat anathema to the idea of the Internet. Why write anything if you can't share it with people? What good is it if it can't be used? (without a use == useless)
Post 29 Mar 2007, 01:40
kohlrak

kohlrak
I'll put the patent system for you simple.

It's great, it's just horrible for programming. What it is, is a system to use the law to make sure everyone else's code is crappier than yours. See, you're poor, so you can't make it rich because the big companies like to higher good lawyers to make sure their recent patent that yours (or your code) predates (even with proof) has you paying out an arm and a leg in fines so they can steal your code. If your code (maybe even machine code) just happens (by luck) to LOOK similar to theirs, you're screwed. I've never had to deal with the patent hoggers before, but i'm sick of hearing about Xfire vs. Yahoo.

BEWARE: STRONG OPINIONS BELOW

Both music and computer programs (in my opinion) should be free. The only catch is that the original coder should get credit for his work. There used to be a time when you didn't have to pay for music, but that time was before we had currency that we could build up out of greed. Something like keeping up a gaming server could be charged, but the actual programs should be free. The great man who made Fasm, out of the pure kindness of his heart, made his program available for free. I feel the same way. It's for these resons that i dislike your world of warcraft, your final fantasy 11. I'm sick of people trying to milk money out of software. Yea, pay people to make pretty images. Yea, pay people to make the buttons pretty. But no, don't pay them to make code. It's not like it's entirely difficult. Alot of the stuff they sell now is so crappily coded that it's not even worth the prices they ask of you. I like to give my programs away for free when i make them. Not that any of my programs would benefit anyone here, but some of my programs have helped me in the past (mostly with completely random tasks like calculating the results of a poll based on percentages or getting the percentages), so i have relased them to the public. I have a whole array of things i give away for free (mostly for the coding community that is just starting out or for the non-coding community), but no one takes them. Instead, they buy pricey software. That's why i havn't made any programs (yet) to help with my taxes, because everyone's paying half their check away for programs that are horribly coded and aren't needed.
Post 22 Apr 2007, 16:31
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
laserlight

laserlight
Quote:
It's for these resons that i dislike your world of warcraft, your final fantasy 11. I'm sick of people trying to milk money out of software.

It sounds like you are missing a point of micro-economics, that demand meets supply at an equilibrium price, holding all other factors unchanged. If indeed all software was charged at zero price*, then how can anyone make a living out of writing software? Even the business models of open source involve some amount of "milking money out of software".

I can understand abhorrence towards software patents, but I cannot understand animosity towards software copyright.

* Zero price with respect to software in general, including add-ons such as support. It is possible to offer software licenses at zero price and still make money by say, paid support.
Post 22 Apr 2007, 18:58
kohlrak

kohlrak
Now charging for assistance i wouldn't be as against. Very often i find freeware equivalents to many "corperate" program. Almost always are these programs better, even if you ignore the price factor.
Post 22 Apr 2007, 22:28
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: