flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Feedback > Hello World!

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
yumka

yumka
Hello everybody.

I'm a pre-newbie in assembler. Actually I'm not a programmer at all. The last program i did was a sort made in pascal in an Apple IIe (1984) Laughing

But I'm attracted by fasm toy, really a peace of art. Very cleaver way of making software.

Just for comparison, my program takes ~ 15 min to compile in a single floppy (swapping was to floppy Shocked) and other 15 min to linking it. I spent all night long to debug less than 100 lines of code.

Now you can assemble fasm itself in a few seconds.

Everything inside the box, not need of linker and anything else, very cool!

So I'll try to learn it just for fun, with your help it would be easy. Very Happy

Very good job Tomasz!

Congratulations!
Post 17 Feb 2007, 20:14
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
MCD

MCD
sure fasm is a very nice program, but I REALLY DON'T recommend learning the awful overbloated intel80x86 syntax for beginners except when you REALLY have a LOT of time, like several years to basically only learn this language.
Post 17 Feb 2007, 23:32
DOS386

DOS386
Quote:
REALLY DON'T recommend learning the awful overbloated intel80x86 syntax for beginners

Need to develop for 80x86 ? Then you need the "overbloated" syntax and FASM Confused

Better CPU ? OK, no need for FASM ...

Title: Hello World program compiles to 100 KB !!!

Post 18 Feb 2007, 01:39
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
few years? not thing to be afraid of, or even to take into account. EVERYTHING in programming requires few years to be good at.
Post 18 Feb 2007, 01:52
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
rugxulo

rugxulo
vid wrote:
few years? not thing to be afraid of, or even to take into account. EVERYTHING in programming requires few years to be good at.

There are always a few people who claim they can learn a language in a month (based upon what they already know, e.g. previous experience in Algol-based languages), but I've read that a more accurate timeframe is two years (and even then, I think that's being generous).
Post 18 Feb 2007, 04:09
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yumka

yumka
MCD wrote:
sure fasm is a very nice program, but I REALLY DON'T recommend learning the awful overbloated intel80x86 syntax for beginners except when you REALLY have a LOT of time, like several years to basically only learn this language.

No problem, i have the rest of my life to learn. Wink

As i said before it's just for fun.

x86 syntax is beatiful compared with de PDP11 that was the examples i saw when went to college.

Is not that ugly "xor eax, eax".

And from my point of view is harder to learn ~ 15K Windows API calls, than 400 Opcodes.

Now the problem is that you should learn both at the same time. But also there are some good stuff to read and learn, like the tutorials of Iczelion and the examples translated to Fasm syntax by Sulaiman.

And this forum that is a great place to learn from other people.

Cheers.
Post 18 Feb 2007, 18:36
MCD

MCD
With overbloated I mainly meant that the 80x86 is filled up with completely irregular instruction usages, almost dropped down legacy instructions (but they can't be dropped down completly for backward compatibility => that makes 80x86 pretty unefficient) and multiple implementations of basically similar instructions. And you would also have to learn a lot when you come to system programming with the 80x86.
Post 19 Feb 2007, 22:00

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: