flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > the winner OS in the future

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
so, what OS would wins in future.

an OS that able to support remote desktop to every other OS would win Smile imo.
Post 09 Feb 2007, 19:39
rugxulo

rugxulo
How can anyone decide? No OS is perfect for everything or everyone would only use it. Does anyone here exclusively use only one OS?? (Virtualization doesn't count.) Doubt it. Smile

http://www.osnews.com
Post 09 Feb 2007, 19:52
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Embrance

Embrance
I dont know for how long Win will stand. They get heavier and more hard to run(resource hogs) and linux is always getting better bia the community work. There have been some really good & unique OS attemps,like Menuis or FreeDOS, and if they had more user that know what they are doing(coders) they would rise very quickly. The key for me is how fast an OS is on an old PC. We all know that win xp can load in like 4 secs on a modern pc. put them on an older, take a trip of the world and when you are back you would have booted up Razz
Post 16 Feb 2007, 07:08
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
DustWolf

DustWolf
Depends on wether you mean near future or after some time when things change. I'm sure Windows won't just go away just because Vista is crap (remember ME was crap too) and Linux won't just become world wide most popular all of the sudden, even tho things like Ubuntu bring it pretty close to being common desktop usable.

Remember the OS world is being financially supported by companies and companies do not embrace change as easily as individuals.

I think on the long run, tho, we are looking at some fundamental innovations. The concepts used in operating systems today are over 30 years old (Xerox) and all the innovations on the market today are deprived of all originality / functionality.

It's a fair bet that over time, a new operating system will evolve, centered around different concepts and eventually become commonly used. I'm guessing something allong the lines of integrating different applications togather on the OS level to speed up devolopment and laying the foundations for a functional intuitive user interface to make it sell well.

Thinking the current OS kernels are immortal is foolish IMHO.
Post 16 Feb 2007, 11:34
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
f0dder

f0dder
Quote:

an OS that able to support remote desktop to every other OS would win

That would be more or less any OS, really... VNC can be ported just about anywhere, and Microsoft's RDP protocol is supported even from linux thin clients.

None of the "fringe" OSes will ever rise; it happened with linux, so it won't happen again. The large pools of resources have already been allocated, getting them reallocated just won't happen that easily.

If anything new and big is to happen, it will be backed by some big player...
Post 16 Feb 2007, 15:13
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
cod3b453

cod3b453
My top 5 would be:

1) Full hardware utilisation (CPU, GPU, SPU) the more you use the hardware thats available the better the OS will perform and hence any software running on it.

2) A decent set of API. No API, no software, no chance.

3) Good process management especially for multicore/multiprocessor rigs because one day we'll have 4096 cores and 18 EB of RAM.

4) A decent file system. By this I mean one that doesn't hash some old file system, doesn't corrupt itself and doesn't *ever* fragment files. Maybe some clever features for indexing would help too...

5) Tight security - apps, users & files. More intelligent app and file permissions and general user data security.

Also for an OS to be successful (althought I'm quite happy with good ol' Win9x interface):

6) Extreme customisability (WinAmp style skinning etc), the mass market are mainly attracted to the more shiny product regardless of its other features/flaws and slow/rubbish -ness.
Post 16 Feb 2007, 19:36
rugxulo

rugxulo
I like things the way they are now. Lots of support for Windows while still having good competition from Linux (and ports both ways, which is always nice). Lots of free compilers, virtualization, many free hobby OSes, and lots of other nice FOSS stuff. Things are WAY better than they used to be. We are quite spoiled, IMO. Smile

Easier and more robust installs/upgrades/backups plus more security, less delays, more features, more configurability, easier to use, etc. (More hardware compatibility, less hardware requirements, and cheaper prices would be nice too but oh well.)
Post 16 Feb 2007, 21:09
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
one thing i miss most at *nix systems: strict ABI for every supported platform.
Post 16 Feb 2007, 22:11
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
f0dder

f0dder
vid wrote:
one thing i miss most at *nix systems: strict ABI for every supported platform.

That would only happen if they could sit down and do some proper kernel design, instead of the hacky patchy mushroom growth style currently employed Smile

Post 16 Feb 2007, 22:50
DustWolf

DustWolf
And if some guy made an OS exactly like all of this... would you use it?
Post 21 Feb 2007, 11:21
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
DustWolf: after few years of development, when there are good distros for it, why not? But it's not very realistic possibility
Post 21 Feb 2007, 11:38
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
DustWolf

DustWolf
vid wrote:
DustWolf: after few years of development, when there are good distros for it, why not? But it's not very realistic possibility

Most of the stuff listed here would reduce devolopment time rather than increase it. A well designed OS would not take decades to code (that's the point of designing it well).

Sure, making drivers or the likes for all the different hardware and the emulators for windows and linux would take some time and some persistance. And sure, I never made an OS yet, so I can't immagine the possible tricks and problems there, but it hardly seems impossible. With some good thinking and since small code = fast code = quickly written code, it shouldn't even be hard. But it would need some immagination that programmers have not displayed as of yet (xerox = apple = microsoft = linux = menuet = ...).
Post 21 Feb 2007, 12:41
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
DustWolf: this is lot of work for dozens of people for few years
Post 21 Feb 2007, 13:14
Dex4u

Dex4u
The winning OS of the future, will not be a OS as such, as OS's will have little value. But what will have value is OS services

Let me give you a example, take loading a file from a hdd, as a example, today we are tied to what file sys the Hdd is format to etc, this ties you to a OS.
But what if that hdd had a built in ftp server, now that same hdd could be used by any OS or electronic produced, that can connect to it.
Now by making lots of cheap electronic goods, that talk to each other, by using tcp/ip interfaces etc.
The OS will be less important and the value will be in the services, just take games as another example, more and more games are on line games needing a server and client. Thats also why google will be bigger than M$.

This is just my two cents.
Post 21 Feb 2007, 18:00
Dex4u

Dex4u
Post 22 Feb 2007, 16:24
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
Quote:

hdd had a built in ftp server

nice Smile i was thinking SQL OS that store all the files inside database.
but, if the SQL OS hang .... Very Happy
Post 22 Feb 2007, 20:32
rugxulo

rugxulo
DustWolf wrote:

I think on the long run, tho, we are looking at some fundamental innovations. The concepts used in operating systems today are over 30 years old (Xerox) and all the innovations on the market today are deprived of all originality / functionality.

It's a fair bet that over time, a new operating system will evolve, centered around different concepts and eventually become commonly used. I'm guessing something allong the lines of integrating different applications togather on the OS level to speed up devolopment and laying the foundations for a functional intuitive user interface to make it sell well.

Anyone here tried a tablet PC yet? What OSes besides Win/Linix run on it? (At least that's different than "mouse point/click" crapola we're inundated with.)
Post 22 Feb 2007, 20:35
Dex4u

Dex4u
@ sleepsleep nice.
@ rugxulo Yes one member of team DexOS put "DexOS" on a tablet pc if i remember right, also note most touch screens will work normaly from mouse code Wink.
Post 23 Feb 2007, 01:34
sleepsleep

sleepsleep
omG
i just tried netbsd 3.1 rdesktop -f to one of my winxp os.

Last edited by sleepsleep on 21 Jun 2011, 21:08; edited 1 time in total
Post 23 Feb 2007, 11:34
Dex4u

Dex4u
Even M$ is waking up to web OS, being the future Wink
http://ibtimes.com/articles/20070228/microsoft-google-search.htm
Post 01 Mar 2007, 18:28

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: