flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Polish music?

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
MichaelH

MichaelH
True but I've told them there's no way in hell I'll ever preform a religious song and since tenors are like gold at the end of a rainbow i.e very hard to find, they oblige and don't sing too many religious songs and when they do, I leave them to it.

But you're right, it would be great if there were more non religious music groups around. The problem with singing in a small group like a band is that it's difficult to get quality because you haven't got someone standing either side of you to judge if you are exactly perfectly singing the right note. Singing in a big group forces you to be exact and really teaches you to sing well, that's why I recommend people go and do it even if you think your voice isn't that good, it will improve.
Post 07 Feb 2007, 22:37
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
MichaelH: i think many rock singers started in choirs. For example Tyler from Aerosmith comes to my mind now. By the way, did you hear Scorpions - Moment of Glory? There are several good songs played by rock & orchestra.

Quote:
Heavy metal was originally used to describe Black Sabbath (or maybe Deep Purple? I forget).

i think both. It was name of style anyway...

Quote:
Jeff Beck (Yardbirds, Jeff Beck Group, solo), though, is often credited with originally using distortion with his amplifier. (Okay, my rock history is a bit rusty, but whatever.)

hmmm. if we talk about just overdriving amp to produce distorted sound, this was done pretty sooner, for sure in 50s, and maybe even sooner. If we talk about what is now called "distortion", i've read it was Ritchie Blackmore and Jimi Hendrix, who asked Jim Marshall to build "different" amp for them.
Post 08 Feb 2007, 08:11
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
MichaelH

MichaelH
Quote:

i think many rock singers started in choirs. For example Tyler from Aerosmith comes to my mind now.

I didn't know he started in choirs but it now makes sense as in his early stuff from the late 70s he sings quite high but mallows as time went by.

Scorpions - Moment of Glory Live With The Berlin Philharmonic, thanks, I'll have to have a listen.

It's a shame pop music leads people to think all rock music is from untalented drug users ( well a lot of it is I suppose ) because there is a lot of stuff that will survive the test of time.
Post 08 Feb 2007, 09:08
rugxulo

rugxulo
Some religious songs are just popular melodies with Christian lyrics ("What Child is This" -- "Greensleeves", "O God, How We Adore Thee"??? -- Beethoven's 5th Symphony).

Personally, I like music for music and not the lyrics (mainly because I don't sing AT ALL and can't understand most lyrics, for whatever reason).

The Yardbirds (who, at different times, included Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, and Jimmy Page) were mostly influenced by American blues, but they sound somewhat less modern these days (to my ears) than their successor, The New Yardbirds (aka, Led Zeppelin).

A lot of people credit the Sun Studio recordings (Elvis, Scotty Moore) as being very influential to early rock music. I guess you know Elvis is called "the King" (of Rock N' Roll), as opposed to Michael Jackson ("King of Pop") or Aretha Franklin ("Queen of Soul").

For the record, Little Richard says he would've been Elvis had he been white (and he did have Jimi Hendrix in his band for a bit, way back in the day).

Jimi Hendrix's dad wrote an interesting book about his son a few years back, though I only read a small excerpt in a guitar mag (and I hear that the family now owns his musical legacy again, after years of legal crud ... now you can enjoy the Jimi Hendrix energy drink!). Laughing

P.S. March 12 -- Van Halen inducted into Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame. Smile
Post 08 Feb 2007, 22:08
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
Jeff Beck was strongly influenced by band Savages i mentioned. Like Rolling Stones (drummer of Savages played with them but quitted), The Who (drummer of Savages learnt Keith Moon to play), Blackmore (he was in band for few rehearsals when he was 15), Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck....

Eric Clapton wrote:
The band, then, we were all trying to sound like...was it The Wild Ones?...What were they called...with Carlo Little and Nicky Hopkins? The Savages...that's it, yeah. They were the band of the day, they were the band to emulate, because they used to do, you know, before Lord Sutch came on, they were like...a little blues set...and there was that fantastic Andy Rand [sic, Wren], who was a keyboard player, who would sing 'Worried Life Blues". It was astounding...that was our hero at the time...yeah...Carlo Little with the leopard skin drum kit. (laughter)
citation from this site - tribute to their drummer. And he was a GREAT drummer, listen to Hands of Jack the Ripper album if you can get it.

Elvis was by no means rock'n'roll singer. He was a pop singer having (very) few poorly popy performed rock'n'roll songs (mostly cover versions) in his list. And Elvis himself told that if he could play like Jerry Lee does, he would stop singing.

Little Richard titled himself "queen of rocknroll" as parody to Elvises media-forged title (he was gay).
Post 08 Feb 2007, 22:41
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
MichaelH

MichaelH
Quote:

Personally, I like music for music and not the lyrics (mainly because I don't sing AT ALL and can't understand most lyrics, for whatever reason).

Oh well rugxulo, you can't have everything, I can't program very well, my brain forgets too much Sad

Quote:

can't understand most lyrics

Judging by your endless nonsenical rantings from the bible I suggest your problem isn't just confined to song lyrics Wink

Speaking of The Who, Quadrophenia is a must see film

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadrophenia
Post 09 Feb 2007, 00:19

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: